• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Developing Winter Soldier-Falcon Limited Series for Disney’s Streaming Service
3 3

1,118 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Can we just respect the risk RDJ took with this role. Imagine reading it...it could have gone horribly wrong.

**Callaway29 asks himself if he can even make this comment without provoking emotional responses, but does anyways**

It was super-risky as this could have backfired massively for the actor. But he clearly got the intent of the character.

Robert Downey Jr. Has No Regrets Over ‘Tropic Thunder’ Blackface: ‘It Blasted the Cap on the Issue’

“My mother was horrified,” Downey Jr. said.

“‘Bobby, I’m telling ya, I have a bad feeling about this.’ I was like, ‘Yeah me too, mom.’ When Ben called and said, ‘Hey I’m doing this thing’ – you know I think Sean Penn had passed on it or something. Possibly wisely. And I thought, ‘Yeah, I’ll do that and I’ll do that after Iron Man.’ Then I started thinking, ‘This is a terrible idea, wait a minute.’ Then I thought, ‘Well hold on dude, get real here, where is your heart? My heart is…I get to be black for a summer in my mind, so there’s something in it for me. The other thing is, I get to hold up to nature the insane self-involved hypocrisy of artists and what they think they’re allowed to do on occasion, just my opinion.

“[Ben] knew exactly what the vision for this was, he executed it, it was impossible to not have it be an offensive nightmare of a movie,” Downey Jr. continued. “And 90 per cent of my black friends were like, ‘Dude, that was great.’ I can’t disagree with [the other 10 per cent], but I know where my heart lies. I think that it’s never an excuse to do something that’s out of place and out of its time, but to me it blasted the cap on [the issue]. I think having a moral psychology is job one. Sometimes, you just gotta go, ‘Yeah I effed up.’ In my defense, ‘Tropic Thunder’ is about how wrong [blackface] is, so I take exception.”

Downey Jr. received critical acclaim for his performance in “Tropic Thunder” and was nominated for Best Supporting Actor at the Oscars, Golden Globes, and Screen Actors Guild Awards. Downey Jr. lost all prizes to Heath Ledger for “The Dark Knight.”

47 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

But as Kirk Lazarus from 'Tropic Thunder' just to steam up the super-woke SJW portion of the MCU fanbase.

KIRKLAZARUS.JPG.145758fdbe16854502f7821df4a00553.JPG

Or, you could, you know, just use loaded political speech like "super-woke SJW" to rile up that portion of the fan base.

39 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

Or, you could, you know, just use loaded political speech like "super-woke SJW" to rile up that portion of the fan base.

No. Just mention 'Captain Marvel' and that will do it. The magic that comes from that is better than My Little Pony.

CM_NAME.gif.4990bde5f6a677d8f136b062f9e301e0.gif

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Please don't be offended, but Monica is a much more sympathetic and engaging character than Carol. I'd like to see her as the star of a movie.

Maybe she is the one who is going to appear, she's not an Avenger...!

Monica is going to have to re-learn to respect her elders again in Captain Marvel 2 or Auntie Carol's gonna have to take Lt. Trouble to school.

3 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Can we just respect the risk RDJ took with this role. Imagine reading it...it could have gone horribly wrong.

**Callaway29 asks himself if he can even make this comment without provoking emotional responses, but does anyways**

I'd say it was Marvel Studios who risked it all with their inaugural movie by casting Iron Man with an actor who'd become better known as the male Lindsay Lohan than the guy once nominated for Best Actor. Robert Downey Jr's career was metaphorically in a cave when Marvel cast him. When Stark says "never has a greater phoenix metaphor been personified" in Iron Man 2, he was also referring to RDJ.

2 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'd say it was Marvel Studios who risked it all with their inaugural movie by casting Iron Man with an actor who'd become better known as the male Lindsay Lohan than the guy once nominated for Best Actor. Robert Downey Jr's career was metaphorically in a cave when Marvel cast him. When Stark says "never has a greater phoenix metaphor been personified" in Iron Man 2, he was also referring to RDJ.

emotion01.gif.8625418f14ba8d9fe61d60ce8c049108.gif

On 4/22/2019 at 12:33 PM, Bosco685 said:

Another interesting article about the MCU gamble, and how little Marvel was making on its movies before taking these over for itself. And who really to thank at the critical early stage leading to what we now recognize as the MCU success story.

Let's NOT reinvent MCU based on some personal need to act like Marvel Entertainment and later Marvel Studios didn't have a proving ground how popular these films were and could become even greater. Let's instead reflect on the reality of the Blade, X-Men and Spider-Man franchises that Marvel Entertainment used to build its own business case.

Or we can go with the "Oh my God they took such untested risks and they raised up F-Level characters nobody ever heard of before then to stardom where even comic book fans bought their books!"

17 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Not only that but Tropic Thunder got scored RDJ an Oscar nomination!

22 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Figure out who is going to show up on Friday in this show;)

I learned from WandaVision not to overthink these things. Whoever shows up this Friday, it's not really that important. Most likely we'll just meet the Power Broker, but it's not really going to matter. This show is all about Sam Wilson powering up (on the inside) to prove that he's worthy of Steve Rogers' legacy, and that's what Episode 5 will really be about. That's what I think anyway.

Or it could be Mephisto. He's kind of a grounded character...

46 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Mephisto_Stopping_By.gif.83b55c563bfa9f2dc4b2801efb7ed867.gif

Again, when Mephisto flashes audiences across the world in all his shirtless redness in Dr Strange's sequel next year, I think the diehard Mephisto drum folks should get credit for that because all WandaVision did was tease the devil in like every episode.

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Again, when Mephisto flashes audiences across the world in all his shirtless redness in Dr Strange's sequel next year, I think the diehard Mephisto drum folks should get credit for that because all WandaVision did was tease the devil in like every episode.

I guarantee one day if 'Mephisto' is even mentioned, you, We Got This Covered and also Cosmic Book News will all loudly scream to the world "I predicted this years ago and let me show you where I did even though my timing was off but that doesn't matter because I need all the street cred I can get to feed my attention hunger...NOW!"

Iamincredible.gif.2af285b9863b6a23f9e7663af91bf4b3.gif

13 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

emotion01.gif.8625418f14ba8d9fe61d60ce8c049108.gif

Let's NOT reinvent MCU based on some personal need to act like Marvel Entertainment and later Marvel Studios didn't have a proving ground how popular these films were and could become even greater. Let's instead reflect on the reality of the Blade, X-Men and Spider-Man franchises that Marvel Entertainment used to build its own business case.

Or we can go with the "Oh my God they took such untested risks and they raised up F-Level characters nobody ever heard of before then to stardom where even comic book fans bought their books!"

I'm not talking about the risk of making another comic book movie. I'm saying the risk was casting an actor (in Marvel Studios' inaugural film) who people only really remembered as someone who was constantly in and out of jail/rehab for drug addiction, as opposed to a guy like Tom Cruise who was previously interested in the role.

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I guarantee one day if 'Mephisto' is even mentioned, you, We Got This Covered and also Cosmic Book News will all loudly scream to the world "I predicted this years ago and let me show you where I did even though my timing was off but that doesn't matter because I need all the street cred I can get to feed my attention hunger...NOW!"

Iamincredible.gif.2af285b9863b6a23f9e7663af91bf4b3.gif

Uh yeah, the entire world was thinking Mephisto and just about every media site on the internet wrote non-stop articles about Mephisto, not just We Got This Covered. I think WGTC also wrote that Galactus might stop in to Westview for a burger.

Mephisto is practically a household name now because so many people thought Mephisto was going to be the bad guy in WandaVision.

13 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm not talking about the risk of making another comic book movie. I'm saying the risk was casting an actor (in Marvel Studios' inaugural film) who people only really remembered as someone who was constantly in and out of jail/rehab for drug addiction, as opposed to a guy like Tom Cruise who was previously interested in the role.

I guess you never saw the film 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' (2005) where Robert Downey Jr. which not only landed an 86% critics positive rating but also an 87% audience positive rating.

kisskissbangbang.JPG.4527a2a02254da193cc28d9715f17f7e.JPG

Director Jon Favreau felt that Downey's past made him an appropriate choice for the part and that the actor could not only make Stark a "likable individual_without_enough_empathy," but also portray an authentic emotional journey, once he had won over the audience. Favreau was also attracted to Downey because of his performance in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Downey frequently spoke with that film's director, Shane Black, about the -script and dialogue in Iron Man. Downey had an office next to Favreau during pre-production, which allowed him greater involvement in the screenwriting process, especially when it came to adding humor to the film.

RDJ had a very troubled past. But the guy was still delivering on roles leading to Marvel Studios signing off on his casting.

8 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Uh yeah, the entire world was thinking Mephisto and just about every media site on the internet wrote non-stop articles about Mephisto, not just We Got This Covered. I think WGTC also wrote that Galactus might stop in to Westview for a burger.

Mephisto is practically a household name now because so many people thought Mephisto was going to be the bad guy in WandaVision.

:roflmao:

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I guess you never saw the film 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' (2005) where Robert Downey Jr. which not only landed an 86% critics positive rating but also an 87% audience positive rating.

kisskissbangbang.JPG.4527a2a02254da193cc28d9715f17f7e.JPG

RDJ had a very troubled past. But the guy was still delivering on roles leading to Marvel Studios signing off on his casting.

Dude.

I get your ridiculus beef with with SilverMane on, but he's not wrong here.

Robert Downey, Jr.'s career was in the toilet when he was cast as Iron Man - Marvel took a *huge* risk in casting him for such a blockbuster and he was *far* from the obvious choice.

And plenty of contemporary (esp. pre-release) articles confirm that.

Re. career rehabilitation, it wasn't quite as left-field as Tarantino's casting Travolta in Pulp Fiction, but it was close.

Yes - he'd worked steadily -- but he wasn't an A-lister, or even a B-lister at that point. Because his films made no money.

And he was (still) such an insurance risk that they had to negotiate a "half now / half on completion-if-you-stay-out-of-jail" clause to his $500,000 contract for Iron Man.

In the years since, he'd been fired from Ally Mcbeal (2002), then did:

• The Singing Detective: $435 thousand worldwide gross
  • Gothika: $142 million worldwide gross vs. $40 million budget
  • Game 6: $130,000 worldwide gross
  • Good Night, and Good Luck: $54 million worldwide gross vs. $7 million budget - but his role's a cameo (14th-billed)
  • A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints: $2 million worldwide gross
  • A Scanner Darkly: $7.7 million worldwide gross
  • Zodiac: $85 million worldwide gross vs. $65 million budget
  • Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang: $16 million worldwide gross vs. $15 million budget

I've been a Robert Downey, Jr. fan since the 80s, and Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is literally in my top 5 favorite films ever - but it was still a box office disaster. And re. RDJ's stardom at the time? In the DVD extras he even admits to a bit of jealousy because Michelle Monaghan had just been cast in Mission Impossible 3, and therefore was now too "big time" for he and Kilmer.

Edited by Gatsby77