• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Developing Winter Soldier-Falcon Limited Series for Disney’s Streaming Service
3 3

1,118 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Some potential stuff for tomorrow. 

I doubt it.

My money's on Reed Richards, Shang-Chi or Moon Knight, in that order of probability. Long-shot: She-Hulk.

Edited by Gatsby77

So the alleged Episode 5 mystery Marvel character is a grounded good guy who could team up with a world shaker like Thor or someone.

Thinking of good guy grounded Captain America mythos characters who haven’t appeared yet, Rick Jones comes to mind. He played a version of Bucky in the 70’s and always teamed with world shakers like Hulk, Mar Vell, and Cap.

For fun I’ll say Rick Jones.

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Dude.

I get your ridiculus beef with with SilverMane on, but he's not wrong here.

Robert Downey, Jr.'s career was in the toilet when he was cast as Iron Man - Marvel took a *huge* risk in casting him for such a blockbuster and he was *far* from the obvious choice.

And plenty of contemporary (esp. pre-release) articles confirm that.

Re. career rehabilitation, it wasn't quite as left-field as Tarantino's casting Travolta in Pulp Fiction, but it was close.

Yes - he'd worked steadily -- but he wasn't an A-lister, or even a B-lister at that point. Because his films made no money.

And he was (still) such an insurance risk that they had to negotiate a "half now / half on completion-if-you-stay-out-of-jail" clause to his $500,000 contract for Iron Man.

In the years since, he'd been fired from Ally Mcbeal (2002), then did:

• The Singing Detective: $435 thousand worldwide gross
  • Gothika: $142 million worldwide gross vs. $40 million budget
  • Game 6: $130,000 worldwide gross
  • Good Night, and Good Luck: $54 million worldwide gross vs. $7 million budget - but his role's a cameo (14th-billed)
  • A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints: $2 million worldwide gross
  • A Scanner Darkly: $7.7 million worldwide gross
  • Zodiac: $85 million worldwide gross vs. $65 million budget
  • Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang: $16 million worldwide gross vs. $15 million budget

I've been a Robert Downey, Jr. fan since the 80s, and Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is literally in my top 5 favorite films ever - but it was still a box office disaster. And re. RDJ's stardom at the time? In the DVD extras he even admits to a bit of jealousy because Michelle Monaghan had just been cast in Mission Impossible 3, and therefore was now too "big time" for he and Kilmer.

'A-Lister/B-Lister'

emotion01.gif.81144d2d837112f855ac84eef654fbf8.gif

I get you are all about these 'lists' with gauging popularity of comic book characters, actors and whatever else. I guess that works somewhere.

Yes, RDJ was on the outs. But even Favreau noted it was 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' that really caught his attention. And I know you appreciate that movie, as like me you have noted this previously. To say they were taking yet again another gamble when like the Marvel comic book movies released previously they also had that work to reference for some comfort with the right focus he could deliver. Though I would agree there was risk with an actor demonstrating repeat addiction problems.

Quoting box office numbers as the reference point was RDJ worth the push - come on now. If a studio wants an actor based on his performance and potential - like Real Silverman's height concerns as a benchmark - they are going to pull the trigger. No matter if a production underperformed yet the actor delivered or the character is 6'1" in the source material and the actor is 5'9" in comparison. That's reality!

1 minute ago, Bird said:

this points to mockingbird to me

With the showrunner noting he would like the person to synch up with Thor, does it fit that direction?

I do like the thinking though. Especially if they could get someone like Adrianne Palicki.

3 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

So the alleged Episode 5 mystery Marvel character is a grounded good guy who could team up with a world shaker like Thor or someone.

Thinking of good guy grounded Captain America mythos characters who haven’t appeared yet, Rick Jones comes to mind. He played a version of Bucky in the 70’s and always teamed with world shakers like Hulk, Mar Vell, and Cap.

For fun I’ll say Rick Jones.

I like that idea, Rick Jones. I was thinking Amadeus Cho, the new Rick for this generation.

7 minutes ago, Bird said:

I like that idea, Rick Jones. I was thinking Amadeus Cho, the new Rick for this generation.

It seems in Falcon and Winter Soldier that the creators are throwing in not just the originals, but also doppelgangers of Cap (Walker, Isaiah Bradley), Bucky (Battlestar), and Falcon (Torres). We even have a cameo from future Patriot, Elijah Bradley. The only person left out is Rick Jones who donned the Bucky suit for a short while. That's why I thought of Rick Jones.

I figure if the She-Hulk show does the same thing, that is throw all the different Hulk characters in like Doc Samson, Red Hulk, etc., then we might see Amadeus Cho introduced there.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

7 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

You get that tweet was a joke, right?

The photo is of Ursula Ditkovich, Peter's neighbor in Spider-Man 2.

yes, I understood who the photos was. I am unclear if the description existed only with the photo or not.

24 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It seems in Falcon and Winter Soldier that the creators are throwing in not just the originals, but also doppelgangers of Cap (Walker, Isaiah Bradley), Bucky (Battlestar), and Falcon (Torres). We even have a cameo from future Patriot, Elijah Bradley. The only person left out is Rick Jones who donned the Bucky suit for a short while. That's why I thought of Rick Jones.

I figure if the She-Hulk show does the same thing, that is throw all the different Hulk characters in like Doc Samson, Red Hulk, etc., then we might see Amadeus Cho introduced there.

If they're throwing in Cap dopplegangers, there's also Jack Monroe. I think he's too obscure for the type of fan reaction being hinted at.

FALCON AND WINTER SOLDIER EPISODE 5 CAMEO CAN FIX WHAT WANDAVISION GOT WRONG

EVER SINCE PAUL BETTANY TEASED a cameo in WandaVision that wound up being himself, Marvel fans have been eager for a real cameo in the Marvel shows on Disney+. Now, wishes will be granted in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

But while fans shouldn’t expect to see an Avenger, they should expect to see a character from the comics played by someone no one could ever imagine. And with it, fans may permanently change how they understand the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

WHAT HAPPENED? — This week, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is scheduled to premiere its fifth episode, which series head writer Malcolm Spellman has confirmed will contain a buzzy cameo. Speculation ramped up when SlashFilm editor-in-chief Peter Sciretta said on the April 9 episode of the SlashFilm Daily podcast that he knows the identity of the cameo — and the famous, award-winning actor/actress in the role — but didn’t spoil to keep the surprise.

“It’s a big actor who hasn’t been named in the series,” Sciretta said, “This is someone we didn’t know is going to be in the series and is an award-winning actor/actress.”

Sciretta further clarified the character is “not a character from the Marvel moves,” which rules out any previous onscreen Marvel superhero. That means no Avengers, like Don Cheadle’s Rhodey who appeared in the show’s first episode. But SlashFilm also adds that it’s “an existing Marvel Comics character,” whose identity remains unrevealed.

This isn’t the first time we’ve heard about the cameo. In an interview last March, Spellman said the guest character in question is “a very, very grounded character” who they’d like to see share screen time with Thor someday. Spellman also told ComicBook.com in March the fifth episode is when things “just get real” and fans are “going to cry.”

FACE OFF — A cameo in the MCU is always exciting, but what’s worth highlighting is that the mystery character isn’t a beefy A-list superhero fans will lose their minds from seeing onscreen. While the actor in the role is a big name, the character is not. (Though, again, we know the character has comic book roots).

Thankfully, nothing like a “Ralph Bohner” seems to be in store for The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. It’s a cameo, yes. But not of a character fans care about, nor does the actor have any history in the MCU. While we can busy ourselves for the rest of the week asking who is going to show up, we should not forget that the show last left on one of the most gruesome cliffhangers in Marvel history. That’s probably worth more consideration than who’s going to show up for a few minutes.

25 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

If they're throwing in Cap dopplegangers, there's also Jack Monroe. I think he's too obscure for the type of fan reaction being hinted at.

Oh yeah, Jack Monroe. That's pretty obscure, but a possibility. I'm sticking with Rick Jones. I could imagine older fans losing their minds if he shows up in the MCU.

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Oh yeah, Jack Monroe. That's pretty obscure, but a possibility. I'm sticking with Rick Jones. I could imagine older fans losing their minds if he shows up in the MCU.

Some internet chatter about Amanda Cho - but I’d throw Jessica Drew in there too with her old school Madripoor connection (the early Wolverine run).

2 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Some internet chatter about Amanda Cho - but I’d throw Jessica Drew in there too with her old school Madripoor connection (the early Wolverine run).

Who is Amanda Cho? Helen Cho was in Age of Ultron. Bird suggested Amadeus Cho a few posts up.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Who is Amanda Cho? Helen Cho was in Age of Ultron. Bird suggested Amadeus Cho a few posts up.

Yes - I mis-typed. Meant Amadeus Cho.

Not my generation, although I did own AF # 15 (vol. 2) for awhile. Never read it before selling, however.

2 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Yes - I mis-typed. Meant Amadeus Cho.

Not my generation, although I did own AF # 15 (vol. 2) for awhile. Never read it before selling, however.

Ah. I also posted above that I really think Amadeus Cho makes his debut in She-Hulk.

24 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Ah. I also posted above that I really think Amadeus Cho makes his debut in She-Hulk.

And your predictions in WandaVision were rock-solid.

Since the showrunner noted the grounded character that will appearing would be a great pairing up with Thor, how does Rick Jones fit into that picture? I'm serious. I'd like to know.