• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chuck Got Hacked and He's Not Happy
2 2

90 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, bc said:

Baby monitors have been used in DDOS attacks in the past. All it takes is a small bit of code on an internet-connected device that can be remotely activated.

IoT (Internet of Things) devices are a goldmine for people looking to string together networks for this sort of attack. They're almost never patched.  

Just now, rob_react said:

IoT (Internet of Things) devices are a goldmine for people looking to string together networks for this sort of attack. They're almost never patched.  

Couldn't agree more. Between not patching and not changing the default admin/root password, it's a gold mine out there!

Watch those home security cameras and smart TVs :devil:

But what would the goal be to shut Chuck down for a couple days?  Who really stands to gain anything by the attack?  People don't spend that kind of time and risk to shut down a disaster of a web site like Chuck's. 

true story:

as a very young kid I ordered from chuck through the mail. I was trying to finish my Avengers run and I ordered some books and put down alternates because those were the rules. He sent the alternates which bummed me out as I needed my first choices to finish the run. I sent a letter back to him saying something like, "You Suck!"  I know it was wrong but I was, like, 9 or something. He wrote back saying I was banned for life from every ordering from him.

I've never ordered from his since. I should send him an amends letter. 

15 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

But what would the goal be to shut Chuck down for a couple days?  Who really stands to gain anything by the attack?  People don't spend that kind of time and risk to shut down a disaster of a web site like Chuck's. 

It wouldn't take any time, just $$. You can order bandwidth from a DDOS as a service provider. People in certain online circles do it all the time. It's a thing. 

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

1.  Chuck rankled the wrong dude - customer, disgruntled employee

2.  Low impact target practice - there are certainly bigger better targets, but everyone starts somewhere.

3.  Testing of some equipment or code or technique

4.  It was all made up.

Again, the person that did this is almost certainly NOT the person that put together the botnet. It could be, theoretically, but it's more likely that it's just someone who was annoyed with Chuck who had some extra $$ (10s of dollars a day? something like that) to spend and knew where to buy some bandwidth for a DDOS. 

13 minutes ago, rob_react said:

Again, the person that did this is almost certainly NOT the person that put together the botnet. It could be, theoretically, but it's more likely that it's just someone who was annoyed with Chuck who had some extra $$ (10s of dollars a day? something like that) to spend and knew where to buy some bandwidth for a DDOS. 

DDOS? Have you seen their website? You mine as well say beep....boop...bork....deet...you've got mail!

37 minutes ago, revat said:

1.  Chuck rankled the wrong dude - customer, disgruntled employee

2.  Low impact target practice - there are certainly bigger better targets, but everyone starts somewhere.

3.  Testing of some equipment or code or technique

4.  It was all made up.

I'll take #4 for $235, Alec.

1 hour ago, rob_react said:

I'm banned from ordering from Chuck. I have been for many years. I don't even know why, specifically.

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

Banned as well (for returning an overgraded book for refund)  

I liken Chuck to a rockstar that's tripped out on acid and never been the same after it a la Syd Barrett or Brian Wilson etc.

Chuck's never quite recovered from stumbling into Edgar's basement, in a cerebral sense. Quite ironic that it's called a denial of service attack, as the Chuckster has been in denial about many things for a long long time.

7 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

I liken Chuck to a rockstar that's tripped out on acid and never been the same after it a la Syd Barrett or Brian Wilson etc.

Chuck's never quite recovered from stumbling into Edgar's basement, in a cerebral sense. Quite ironic that it's called a denial of service attack, as the Chuckster has been in denial about many things for a long long time.

Uuhhh, basement?

Screw you man. I’m banning you off the planet!

142AD669-E5DE-425F-8492-0792048C56B3.jpeg.e97a33cff52fbaa50931c3e60947f8c7.jpeg