• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chuck Got Hacked and He's Not Happy
2 2

90 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2018 at 9:49 AM, N e r V said:

The sellers of the Edgar Church collection should have been set up pretty nicely by 1970’s standards in selling that valuable collection even back then. Were they? Or was it Chuck and others the ones that actually were set up? 

Not defending Chuckles...God forbid...but, historical context always has to be considered. In 1977, people generally had no clue that there were comic books that were "worth money." The new DC and Marvels were 30 cents; virtually everything else published after 1955 was worth less than that, and that which was published before, very few people ever saw, since 95-99% of it was destroyed.

Should the Church family have been set? Eh. Even throwing Chuck's story out top to bottom, the truth is, these people probably had no idea what they had, and just wanted to get rid of it. There would have been virtually no one, relative to the general population, that even knew what these people had. There was no internet, there were, perhaps, 100 comic stores nationwide...maybe....so it's not as if they had access to any information. 

Did Chuck get the steal of a lifetime, even relative to 1977? Sure. But were there options for the Church family besides Chuck...? Probably not. 

And believe it or not, knowledge DOES have value. A lot.

I love....LOVE...the ridiculous "comic investment websites" that say "if you'd only bought X copies of this book, you'd be rich!" The fact is, it wouldn't have mattered how much you paid, because those books simply weren't available. There's a funny one, about a doofus who runs an "investment" blog, where he talks about buying "multiple copies of Star Wars #1 35 cent variant!!"...but you couldn't have. They weren't available, regardless of how much you wanted to pay. And, if you tried throwing money around such a small market, and buying any and all available copies, you'll get walloped by people with much bigger pockets than you. You'd have ended up paying a LOT more for them, which would have made the "investment" aspect a wash.

"If only you bought 20 copies of Action #1 in 1966!" 

That was almost certainly an impossibility, no matter how much money you offered, no matter how hard you looked. One, two, maybe three...? Sure. Multiples? Dream on.

So, while the Church family didn't get anywhere near what they could have...by orders of magnitude...they still didn't get nothing, and if Chuckles paid them $2,000, that was a considerable chunk of change in 1977...for what were, essentially, old magazines.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Did Chuck get the steal of a lifetime, even relative to 1977? Sure. But were there options for the Church family besides Chuck...? Probably not. 

The Church realtor first called a comic store who said he would not go to see the collection, the collection had to come to him. 

The Church realtor then called a used bookstore that Nanette Rozanski had worked at. 

19 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

The Church realtor first called a comic store who said he would not go to see the collection, the collection had to come to him. 

The Church realtor then called a used bookstore that Nanette Rozanski had worked at. 

Right...and I was setting aside what we knew from Chuck entirely. I don't think anyone ever got the Church family side of the story, did they?

12 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
32 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Right...and I was setting aside what we knew from Chuck entirely. I don't think anyone ever got the Church family side of the story, did they?

You know the answer to that.

9 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Not defending Chuckles...God forbid...but, historical context always has to be considered. In 1977, people generally had no clue that there were comic books that were "worth money." The new DC and Marvels were 30 cents; virtually everything else published after 1955 was worth less than that, and that which was published before, very few people ever saw, since 95-99% of it was destroyed.

Should the Church family have been set? Eh. Even throwing Chuck's story out top to bottom, the truth is, these people probably had no idea what they had, and just wanted to get rid of it. There would have been virtually no one, relative to the general population, that even knew what these people had. There was no internet, there were, perhaps, 100 comic stores nationwide...maybe....so it's not as if they had access to any information. 

And believe it or not, knowledge DOES have value. A lot.

I love....LOVE...the ridiculous "comic investment websites" that say "if you'd only bought X copies of this book, you'd be rich!" The fact is, it wouldn't have mattered how much you paid, because those books simply weren't available. There's a funny one, about a doofus who runs an "investment" blog, where he talks about buying "multiple copies of Star Wars #1 35 cent variant!!"...but you couldn't have. They weren't available, regardless of how much you wanted to pay. And, if you tried throwing money around such a small market, and buying any and all available copies, you'll get walloped by people with much bigger pockets than you. You'd have ended up paying a LOT more for them, which would have made the "investment" aspect a wash.

"If only you bought 20 copies of Action #1 in 1966!" 

That was almost certainly an impossibility, no matter how much money you offered, no matter how hard you looked. One, two, maybe three...? Sure. Multiples? Dream on.

So, while the Church family didn't get anywhere near what they could have...by orders of magnitude...they still didn't get nothing, and if Chuckles paid them $2,000, that was a considerable chunk of change in 1977...for what were, essentially, old magazines.

Maybe the word “set” was not a good choice by me but what I was trying to say was that those comics did have a high value at the time of their discovery. Value enough to pad someone’s pockets pretty nicely. Comics had nothing like their value today but neither did they only 20 years ago. People were making a living selling comics since the 1960’s so yeah, old comics like that had pretty good value when selling even in the 1970’s.

My point is this and it’s something only each person reading this can decide if it’s right or wrong in a business transaction. Did they inform the sellers of the true value of the comics before making a offer on them or did they knowingly withhold that information?

I’ll use this as an example. Bedrock or Gator or whoever your favorite dealer is has someone offer him 100 9.0 condition copies of Amazing Fantasy #15 and they have no knowledge of comics at all. Zero. They received the comics through a death of an uncle and have no use for them but just need to get rid of them along with his other belongings. Do you feel the dealer has the right to withhold all information of their value and offer them something extremely low? $1000.00 dollar a copy? $100.00? $10.00? $1.00?

Is that just a big score the dealer has a right to and it’s the sellers fault for not being a comic collector and knowing the value?

Chuck was a dealer and not just another guy buying comics who had no clue what they are worth. He was going to get a good deal on them regardless.

So I’m not going to chase and demonize anyone because I know of dealers that would have done the same thing as Chuck did. I said in my earlier post you can use your own views on if it’s ok or not but I was a dealer too for a number of years and I reserve the right to make my own judgements on how others conduct business good or bad. I can say that because I also had people come to me with books or items not knowing what they were worth and I have my own views on responsibility in conducting business transactions. I don’t believe anything I posted so far was inaccurate so draw your own conclusions.

Has Chuck ever said how much he paid for the collection?  I know he had to borrow significant amount of money to purchase it and was forced to sell a lot of stuff to dealers in bulk to pay back those loans.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg12.html

1 minute ago, 1950's war comics said:

i heard some of the comics were already thrown away before Chuck bought the rest of them, so there is a chance that even more would have been tossed before Chuck got there ???

yep all the disney type books.

1 minute ago, kav said:

yep all the disney type books.

maybe even all would have been tossed?? even though a value was known , it was likely an imposition to family,.. easier for them to just pitch them in a dumpster

lord knows how many million dollar baseball card collections were tossed because they took up space ,.. many a near mint 1952 Topps Mantle card was pitched back in the day

2 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

maybe even all would have been tossed?? even though a value was known , it was likely an imposition to family,.. easier for them to just pitch them in a dumpster

lord knows how many million dollar baseball card collections were tossed because they took up space ,.. many a near mint 1952 Topps Mantle card was pitched back in the day

they wanted someone to haul em to the trash but it cost too much

Edited by kav

There's a very unbiased article about Chuck's acquisition of the Mile High collection in Steve Duin's  book Comics: Between the Panels. It gives the perspective of other people involved besides Chuck. Unfortunately, the Church family isn't among them.

Edited by Larryw7

46 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

On a side note, I can only imagine what the online code will be to celebrate his prostrate exam. 

I can tell you that I won't take that lying down...

I imagine Chuck won't, either. :sumo:

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

On a side note, I can only imagine what the online code will be to celebrate his prostrate exam. 

"Self Exam"?  But, then again, his head is usually so far up there he doesn't need an exam.  He can see it himself.

Edited by aszumilo