• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chuck Got Hacked and He's Not Happy
2 2

90 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

Chuckles will say a rything to keep them damn code words going. :roflmao:

if you have codes ppl are gunna wanna hack-its just common cents

DDOS Attacks: This also happens on a smaller scale in server based games too when they try to interrupt your game client during a real-time game raid/attack/battle.

Some of your home Internet routers are probably logging what it considers DDOS attacks and automatically dropping what it considers attempts. Netgear had a bad implementation of Ipv6 I believe in some of its Cable DocSIS 3.0 modem/routers that actually caused WiFi to freeze on occasion (So it's not just XFinity...) But looking at the logs made it look like a DDOS attack.

Does he sell anything anymore anyway? He tripled his prices to make sure there were no deals available. About 3 or 4 years ago I actually made 3 or 4 orders from him and spent about $400 and was completely satisfied. He had copies of black lightening 1 cheap for some reason and I bought as many as I could. A big stack of well discounted deadpool trades for my son... But not long after that he jacked up everything.

Other than the people who mention they have been banned, what is the reasoning behind most of the hate for Mile High? I don't have any experience with them except when I was a N.I.C.E. member 30 years ago, so I'm out of the loop. 

13 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

what is the reasoning behind most of the hate for Mile High?

Hate is probably the wrong word for it.   Doubtful those who were banned would say they hated him (at least for that).  Since being on the boards the Chuck Rosanski threads have to be my favorite. I know I’m not alone in believing that Chuck represents all that is good and bad in our beloved hobby.  I’ve dreamed of a score like the Church collection from before there was a Church collection and I still do. Chuck’s ethics on purchasing that collection are something that anyone who has purchased a collection has battled. Personally I give Chuck a pass on that as I’ve never seen any evidence that Mr. Church’s heirs were somehow incompetent to make a deal or Chuck affirmatively misled them on value. IMHO the discovery of Mr. Church’s collection is easily the most important event in comic collecting history.   Then there is the rest of his story. He literally has millions of comics and his business model for selling seems to be right out of LaLa land.  His personal life is just as out there. He’s fun to watch. 

56 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

Other than the people who mention they have been banned, what is the reasoning behind most of the hate for Mile High? I don't have any experience with them except when I was a N.I.C.E. member 30 years ago, so I'm out of the loop. 

I definitely don't hate Chuck. Being banned from buying from him is no loss and it's funny because he (or one of his minions) took the time out of their day to figure out that I needed to be banned, based on postings here or on my site about his prices. He's a funny character. 

20 hours ago, ygogolak said:

DDOS? Have you seen their website? You mine as well say beep....boop...bork....deet...you've got mail!

One of my favourite Chuck stories is that his website cost him almost a million dollars to build and took him years to pay off but it was totally worth it.  Even in 1996, that was not a million dollar job.  But that's what Chuck paid.

...and he's not paid a dime for the site since...

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Hate is probably the wrong word for it.   Doubtful those who were banned would say they hated him (at least for that).  Since being on the boards the Chuck Rosanski threads have to be my favorite. I know I’m not alone in believing that Chuck represents all that is good and bad in our beloved hobby.  I’ve dreamed of a score like the Church collection from before there was a Church collection and I still do. Chuck’s ethics on purchasing that collection are something that anyone who has purchased a collection has battled. Personally I give Chuck a pass on that as I’ve never seen any evidence that Mr. Church’s heirs were somehow incompetent to make a deal or Chuck affirmatively misled them on value. IMHO the discovery of Mr. Church’s collection is easily the most important event in comic collecting history.   Then there is the rest of his story. He literally has millions of comics and his business model for selling seems to be right out of LaLa land.  His personal life is just as out there. He’s fun to watch. 

3 hours ago, SBRobin said:

Maybe a good word for him is eccentric. I would use that term with a strict leaning to being strange by most people’s standards.

I would say people hate his pricing (overpricing).

They might also hate his distorted views on certain things.

As far as any deception that might have occurred with the Edgar Church collection is that really new behavior in this hobby? I regularly here about actual theft of books made by collectors, fans and dealers themselves. People have broken into homes to steal artists works. Cons are always a favorite place it seems to get a 5 fingered discount. Theft in one form or another exists everywhere in collecting.

I see some dealers and collectors regularly boasting about their taking advantage of uneducated sellers for the deals they get so is that just good business or bad behavior? I think it depends on your moral compass. 

The sellers of the Edgar Church collection should have been set up pretty nicely by 1970’s standards in selling that valuable collection even back then. Were they? Or was it Chuck and others the ones that actually were set up? 

Not trying to debate since you can draw your own conclusions of any of the past history in comics collecting but I do feel certain individuals deserve to be grouped together based on their conduct as people. Chuck certainly belongs in a couple of groups that aren’t flattering.

51 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Maybe a good word for him is eccentric. I would use that term with a strict leaning to being strange by most people’s standards.

I would say people hate his pricing (overpricing).

They might also hate his distorted views on certain things.

As far as any deception that might have occurred with the Edgar Church collection is that really new behavior in this hobby? I regularly here about actual theft of books made by collectors, fans and dealers themselves. People have broken into homes to steal artists works. Cons are always a favorite place it seems to get a 5 fingered discount. Theft in one form or another exists everywhere in collecting.

I see some dealers and collectors regularly boasting about their taking advantage of uneducated sellers for the deals they get so is that just good business or bad behavior? I think it depends on your moral compass. 

The sellers of the Edgar Church collection should have been set up pretty nicely by 1970’s standards in selling that valuable collection even back then. Were they? Or was it Chuck and others the ones that actually were set up? 

Not trying to debate since you can draw your own conclusions of any of the past history in comics collecting but I do feel certain individuals deserve to be grouped together based on their conduct as people. Chuck certainly belongs in a couple of groups that aren’t flattering.

The skewed version begins:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg12.html

5 hours ago, N e r V said:

Preemptive strike?

It has to be over 20 years since I tried to buy anything from them. Back in those days it took forever to get a package back, or in those joyous occasions, store credit you could only use on 50 cent books if they were out of stock. Cashed in my chips and never went back.

Chuck overgrades, and always has. Chuck overprices, and always has. 

So, unless you find something really tough to find, at a decent price, there's no reason to do business with Mile High. 

I gave them several chances...they sent me F/VF drek they called "NM." 

Chuck hates slabbing. Why? Because it exposes his own overgrading.

That said, his insight and musings into the hobby are par excellence, IF...and this is a big IF...one can get past the endless self promotion.