• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

Saw 'Shang-Chi' today and would give it a B+ ('very good').  Simu Liu was very earnest and likeable in the role, and the family theme had some weight.  Too much spectacle in Act 3, as I've come to expect, but otherwise a cool and sometimes funny film I'm put in the middle of the Marvel offerings.  Will probably see it one more time this fall in theaters.

Dan

On 9/5/2021 at 1:21 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I wonder how drotto is doing with his Shang-Chi movie stock? Did he buy early as I suggested? The Ten Rings pretty much TKO’d that $35 million weekend estimate.

Oh wait, I think that was paperheart who posted those Shang Chi movie stock forecasts predicting a muted Shang Chi weekend. I think we can safely say those movie stock forecasts mean squat.

On 9/5/2021 at 12:49 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Oh wait, I think that was paperheart who posted those Shang Chi movie stock forecasts predicting a muted Shang Chi weekend. I think we can safely say those movie stock forecasts mean squat.

bought at $50 when I finally realized that was 4 day and not 3 day estimate :banana:  Hoped for $65 but will take $83.

Edited by paperheart

Just got done watching Shang-chi . Liked the movie overall. Would give it a solid B. Didnt care to much for the mystic stuff and would have liked the movie to be more grounded as I'm not a fan of crouching tiger hidden dragon wire work stuff. Couldn't help but feel Shang- chi wasn't the baddest dude of the movie. His aunt kicked his tail and so did his sister. I miss the old school action movies where the man was actually the man so to speak but I still enjoyed the movie overall. 

Edited by Mmanick

On 9/5/2021 at 8:38 PM, Xenosmilus said:

We have John Wick for now...Until his sister Jenifer Wick joins the show:jokealert:

Yup or his long lost daughter takes up the mantle. I cant imagine anyone ever taking on Rambo or matrix, Dutch in commando/predator. I absolutely dont hate woman I just hate the false narrative Hollywood keeps pushing. 

On 9/5/2021 at 11:43 PM, Mmanick said:

Yup or his long lost daughter takes up the mantle. I cant imagine anyone ever taking on Rambo or matrix, Dutch in commando/predator. I absolutely dont hate woman I just hate the false narrative Hollywood keeps pushing. 

As John Wick said... "I get it".  Just good ole male fantasy movies of a strong introverted male kicking everyone's arse with good one liners. Movies nowadays remind me of that Brady Bunch episode when Marsha tried out for the Football team and Greg tried out for the Beauty pageant.:roflmao:

Edited by Xenosmilus

On 9/5/2021 at 8:50 PM, Xenosmilus said:

As John Wick said... "I get it".  Just good ole male fantasy movies of a strong introverted male kicking everyone's arse with good one liners. Movies nowadays remind me of that Brady Bunch episode when Marsha tried out for the Football team and Greg tried out for the Beauty pageant.:roflmao:

Well , as someone who was actually was on an Mmafight team, done bjj for the last twelve years , was in the army for 8 years. I've seen my share of tough woman however it is few and far between. I'll leave it at that 

In an interview with Variety, Cretton discussed including Kingsley in his movie as a way of connecting it to the larger MCU. When the director called Kingsley to talk about reprising the role of Slattery, the actor surprised Cretton by having a full-blown conversation with himself as the Iron Man 3 character. According to Cretton, during their phone conversation, Kingsley would ask something and then hold the phone away from his mouth to make it sound like Slattery was shouting back from nearby. Read Cretton’s full explanation below:

“That first conversation ended with Sir Ben Kingsley shouting to somebody from the other room,” Cretton said. “This is after about an hour of wondering if Sir Ben is going to do our movie. Trevor starts shouting from the other room, ‘Who are you talking to?’ ‘I’m talking to Destin.’ ‘Who’s Destin?’ ‘Oh, he’s directing the new Marvel movie. They want you to be in it.’ ‘They want me to be in it? ! When do we start? !’ ‘Uh, I don’t know, we haven’t gotten into that yet.' It went on for about two minutes,” laughed Cretton. “By the end, he just said, ‘Thank you for the chat. Trevor is very excited, but I’ll talk to you later.'”

:roflmao:

That had to be one heck of a nutty phonecall. Especially when he said, "Would you like to speak with Slattery?"

Without Kingsley & Awkwafina this movie would have been unbearable. It collapsed into catastrophe with the all CGI finale. I'm happy audiences like it. Why they like it eludes my understanding.  

On 9/6/2021 at 8:50 AM, TupennyConan said:

Without Kingsley & Awkwafina this movie would have been unbearable. It collapsed into catastrophe with the all CGI finale. I'm happy audiences like it. Why they like it eludes my understanding.  

I think I'm supposed to dance around (even though you can't see me) and proclaim, "I predicted this long before anyone else did!"

On 8/16/2021 at 7:25 AM, Bosco685 said:

I never put it past hardcore MCU fans to do anything so as to make these movies massively successful. They make it a mission so as to prove their loyalty.

Look at the social media campaigns that took place to drive hate toward Avatar so as to spur people on to go see Avengers: Endgame multiple times so as to beat that evil James Cameron to teach him a lesson. It was crazy the things people were posting so as to flame folks on how Cameron hates MCU fans, and go see the film again so as to show him how wrong he was.

There is loving a franchise and characters associated with this franchise. And then there is taking it too far.

Captain_Marvel140.jpg.7be63e6e2570b1dc39f6007414140324.jpg

Endgame01.PNG.ace06612462740e762eb331dd473d135.PNG

Pandemic or not, all that matters to them is making the MCU a huge financial success. Health be danged!

Then I sit on a gold thrown as a big badge of recognition and wear crown. Yes, a crown. But nothing too ornate. Just enough to convey I have arrived. I wouldn't want to call attention to myself.

randy_savage.gif.e020d9566496d59cfee2a2336b1e54fa.gif

On 9/6/2021 at 8:50 AM, TupennyConan said:

Which Marvel movies did you like ? Just curious. GOD BLESS ....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/6/2021 at 9:45 AM, jimjum12 said:

Which Marvel movies did you like ? Just curious. GOD BLESS ....

Post a list & I'll grade them.

On 9/6/2021 at 9:49 AM, TupennyConan said:

Post a list & I'll grade them.

I don't know if I can even remember all of them. They've been busy little beavers. I'm that guy that likes almost any movie ... but certainly not equally. GOD BLESS....

On 9/6/2021 at 9:53 AM, Bosco685 said:

MCU01.png.71c93cb5f9f94ae4ae34b918c13ba07b.png

That's a lot of work grading those. I'll list the ones I liked or even liked a lot.

XM 1 & 2 [especially 2]. Ang Lee's Hulk [rather good film]. Iron Man. Cap 1. Avengers 1. Cap WS [good movie]. GG 1 [great movie]. Ant-Man [so-so]. Cap CW. Both TH Spideys [especially 2]. Tobey's Spideys 1 & 2, especially 2. Infinity War more than Endgame. Cap Marvel was OK. Black Panther, especially Killmonger.      

Edited by TupennyConan
bp km

On 9/6/2021 at 7:53 AM, Artboy99 said:

I will go to see this film but to be honest everything I have seen suggests I will not like it. The trailers look awful to me.

I will post my review after I see it.

I’m going this afternoon with Will. I’ll report back…