• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Layton taking Co-Creator Credit for Iron Man? Gone too far in my opinion.
3 3

476 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Comicdey said:

Cheesy Dude

7FD42374-465E-445B-B135-CB2B3D8F28C3.png

7AC092E2-5827-4F69-9ABD-6DAA0DF046E8.png

I feel like Bob uses this narrative all the time... "hey my friend was looking at my wildly successful career and pointed out.... blah blah blah " 

Just say you were googling yourself for the 4th time that morning and stumbled across something... 

Just now, PopKulture said:

So, one knock on Jordan was that he was a ball-hog early in his career, and basketball is a team game. Your second line tends in that direction. Jordan didn't win until others got involved. That part of his evolution is obvious - otherwise, Chamberlain is the GOAT for dropping fifty points a game for a season without winning the title.

Scoring isn't the only metric. Pippen was a workhorse with an all-around game, a different style player, so to compare how many 50+ or even 30+ night they had is a bit ingenuous. :foryou:

It is ingenuous. Thank you.

You're point was this:

" Fact is, everyone in Chicago saw Pippen have more dominant performances without Jordan than Jordan had without Pippen."

You didn't say better overall performances, or more team oriented performances, you said dominant performances...where one player didn't have the other to play with. In the NBA, where scoring is the first stat noted every night and in every game recap,  your claim is just wrong. 

On 12/31/2018 at 7:24 PM, Mark 1 said:

You can meet me there anytime.  Phil has some great comics.  I've actually been meaning to go there.  Last time I went a boardie friend picked up a Hulk 1 for 1/4 the going price.  

Well to be fair Marc, it was near the going price when I bought it but it did have an incredible run up almost immediately after and continues to this day.     Was a great book at a great price.  Thanks 👍

Just now, Comicdey said:

Well to be fair Marc, it was near the going price when I bought it but it did have an incredible run up almost immediately after and continues to this day.     Was a great book at a great price.  Thanks 👍

Oh wait. Wasn’t that Bob Layton that hooked me up ?

20 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Did the DeRozan reference short-circuit your brain??  :roflmao: :foryou:

No, it was frankly stupid enough to not even warrant a response and almost makes me think you’re doing performance art.

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

If you're going to make comparisons and deduct from one player to deny him his status it's only fair to analyze the ones you elevate using the same withering stare. 

I agree. 

If you see my earlier contentions, I give the edge to Kareem for his body of work. The GOAT is great throughout his career - not just when he learns to play nice with others later in his career. Will you at least admit Alcindor was the more impressive college player? 

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

It is ingenuous. Thank you.

You're point was this:

" Fact is, everyone in Chicago saw Pippen have more dominant performances without Jordan than Jordan had without Pippen."

You didn't say better overall performances, or more team oriented performances, you said dominant performances...where one player didn't have the other to play with. In the NBA, where scoring is the first stat noted every night and in every game recap,  your claim is just wrong. 

He sounds like every millennial wag I’ve heard speak about Jordan, but he claims to have watched much of his career. I can only suspect he’s a native but a fan of another team, or that he saw all those games on dvd or YouTube.

3 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

No, it was frankly stupid enough to not even warrant a response and almost makes me think you’re doing performance art.

So you think "the shot" is all that impressive in hindsight?? C'mon. 

Like I referenced, you must REALLY be in awe when Durant swishes a three from eight feet behind the line in the finals.  

2 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

So you think "the shot" is all that impressive in hindsight?? C'mon. 

Like I referenced, you must REALLY be in awe when Durant swishes a three from eight feet behind the line in the finals.  

You do a lot of deflecting when your argumentative support doesn't hold water.

10 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

The guy with 4 less Finals MVPs is better than the guy that was MVP every time he was in the Finals..?

See, these are the sorts of arbitrary blindspots that make these discussions pointless. I guess it doesn't matter that Jabbar had more MVP's than Jordan? So naturally you switch to finals MVP's, That's a bit of hand-picking! 

I agree. 

If you see my earlier contentions, I give the edge to Kareem for his body of work. The GOAT is great throughout his career - not just when he learns to play nice with others later in his career. Will you at least admit Alcindor was the more impressive college player? 

But didn't he play for the greatest college coach of all-time?  

lol

j/k He was great in college, of course, three MVPs in three years and no restrictions on scoring or shooting like Dean Smith inflicted on everyone that rolled through NC not letting anyone score 20ppg. 

3 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

I'm not in awe because the chances of a competent defender being up his grille are about as slim as Bob Layton and Stan Lee sharing a beer back in 1963. 

See, these are the sorts of arbitrary blindspots that make these discussions pointless. I guess it doesn't matter that Jabbar had more MVP's than Jordan? So naturally you switch to finals MVP's, That's a bit of hand-picking! 

6/6 Playoff MVP + 5 MVPs > 2/6 Playoff MVP + 6 MVPs

Math is hard.

...and on paper, no one looks better that KAJ...Bill Russel is very close.