• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,482 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Do you have a list of what you have? Some volumes only received one printing, so they're easy to tell. Others, like ASM 1 and UXM 1 have had several, so that's trickier. With ASM 1 you can tell a lot by the width of the book, as they changed paper stock between printings, but I'd have to do some research to recall which printing was which. If we can't help you (and I'm sure we'll try!) the forums at marvelmasterworks.com are one of the best resources for info on collected volumes, someone there can most likely help if we can't.

'The wrapped ones are Spidey #1, Ditko cover, X-Men 1( GS X-Men and 94 up) and FF1. Most of the other wrapped ones are only one print. I've found ten I want to sell, but think there is another box or two.

14 minutes ago, shadroch said:

'The wrapped ones are Spidey #1, Ditko cover, X-Men 1( GS X-Men and 94 up) and FF1. Most of the other wrapped ones are only one print. I've found ten I want to sell, but think there is another box or two.

Well, I need a Spidey 1.

8 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Yes...mostly.

There are some cases (just a few) where hard core collectors know that some printings are better/worse than others in the way they are made.

For example the 1st print of the Spidey omnibus was done with nice sewn binding, but the second printing was done with glued binding. So those "in the know" look for the 1st edition omnibus over the 2nd.

But you are right the most important factor in pricing and valuation is if the book is out of print and if it is not likely to go back into print.

On this note, a Reddit post inspired me to take a look at the Spawn Origins Collections on eBay, and they're now all mostly exorbitantly priced because "OOP".

Thank lord I jumped on that bandwagon before 2020. lol

12 hours ago, piper said:

Am I right that first print for Omni’s is less important than whether or not it’s out of print?

I’ve been looking for ASM V1 and amazed at the prices on eBay.

At least Annihilation Conquest is being reprinted...

Yes, that's generally true. Most collectors don't care as much about the edition as they do about the quality. For instance, some of the early first printings were done with glued bindings, but later printings were sewn, which is far better. So yes, you're absolutely right, the issue with most folks isn't the edition, it's the quality and the fact that the book is available in the first place!

12 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Sweet set.  I was going to pick this up but I don't know if I can  stand all the silver age X-men stories.. the last time I read them they were so outdated...

I read there were 4 omnibuses that contain all the Claremont runs.. does anyone know which ones those are?  Those are the stories I am most interested in collecting...

I understand, SA books can be pretty hokey to modern readers, and to be perfectly honest, X-Men was probably the worst of the Stan and Jack books. There's a reason why it was canceled! ha

I'm mostly interested in the Children of the Atom set because it is a near complete collection of every X-Men related story finally collected all in one set, starting with X-Men #1, and extending into the Claremont/Byrne run. True, all of that material has been collected in Omnibus and Masterworks form before, but this volume also contains the "lost years" volume that collects all of the appearances of the X-Men in other books between the end of the original title and the GSX relaunch. I've read complaints that there are a couple of missing books like a random issue of Marvel Team Up or whatever, but more or less this is every single X-Man appearance from the silver age and into the bronze, which is pretty neat!

As for Claremont, so far there have been three volumes of Uncanny X-Men Omnibuses, and two volumes of Claremont/JimLee omnis. Most of those are currently out of print, but hold on, because UXM 2 is getting reprinted in November, 3 is coming early next year, and a new volume 4 is also coming. The two Claremont/Lee books are also due for a reprint. So definitely don't pay current market prices for any of that stuff, because it's all coming back shortly.

6 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I understand, SA books can be pretty hokey to modern readers, and to be perfectly honest, X-Men was probably the worst of the Stan and Jack books. There's a reason why it was canceled! ha

I'm mostly interested in the Children of the Atom set because it is a near complete collection of every X-Men related story finally collected all in one set, starting with X-Men #1, and extending into the Claremont/Byrne run. True, all of that material has been collected in Omnibus and Masterworks form before, but this volume also contains the "lost years" volume that collects all of the appearances of the X-Men in other books between the end of the original title and the GSX relaunch. I've read complaints that there are a couple of missing books like a random issue of Marvel Team Up or whatever, but more or less this is every single X-Man appearance from the silver age and into the bronze, which is pretty neat!

As for Claremont, so far there have been three volumes of Uncanny X-Men Omnibuses, and two volumes of Claremont/JimLee omnis. Most of those are currently out of print, but hold on, because UXM 2 is getting reprinted in November, 3 is coming early next year, and a new volume 4 is also coming. The two Claremont/Lee books are also due for a reprint. So definitely don't pay current market prices for any of that stuff, because it's all coming back shortly.

Has anyone heard if another reprinting is planned for ASM Vol. 1?

I wouldn't describe myself as a long time X-Men reader but am getting Volumes 1 and 2.  Is that a logical place to stop on the Claremont run?  I've heard good things about Astonishing X-Men.

3 minutes ago, piper said:

I wouldn't describe myself as a long time X-Men reader but am getting Volumes 1 and 2.  Is that a logical place to stop on the Claremont run?  I've heard good things about Astonishing X-Men.

Latest printing was June 12, 2019. ASM is currently not on the schedule (thru 2021) to be reprinted.

12 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Sweet.  Thanks man!

13 minutes ago, piper said:

Like Capra said, nothing on the schedule currently, but I'm sure it'll come. There have been at least four printings of ASM 1 that I can recall, and maybe more. That book and UXM 1 are the two evergreen titles that Marvel tends to bring back every couple of years. That being said, if you find it at a decent price, I wouldn't pass it up, because who knows how long it'll be until the next printing comes. The upside is that there are a lot of copies out there due to those multiple printings, so it's usually not a crazy expensive book.

Well, with Claremont and X-Men it's really a personal choice. That would be a LOGICAL choice, as most people would consider that run from GSX through Dark Phoenix Saga and then Days of Future Past to be the only really essential X-Men reads. And they're not wrong. But PERSONALLY, I started reading in the mid-80's, so my favorite runs are the Paul Smith run, then the Romita Jr stuff going into Mutant Massacre, then SIlvestri shows up for Fall of the Mutants and Inferno. Those are MY X-Men, so that's the stuff that I actually get excited about. Your mileage would vary. After that, for my personal taste, nothing really strikes a chord until you get to Age of Apocalypse. After that, Whedon's Astonishing run is fun, but I'd consider Morrison's New X-Men to be the really necessary volume.

But the first two UXM Omnis would cover the stuff that most folks would consider absolutely essential, for sure.

3 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Like Capra said, nothing on the schedule currently, but I'm sure it'll come. There have been at least four printings of ASM 1 that I can recall, and maybe more. That book and UXM 1 are the two evergreen titles that Marvel tends to bring back every couple of years. That being said, if you find it at a decent price, I wouldn't pass it up, because who knows how long it'll be until the next printing comes. The upside is that there are a lot of copies out there due to those multiple printings, so it's usually not a crazy expensive book.

Well, with Claremont and X-Men it's really a personal choice. That would be a LOGICAL choice, as most people would consider that run from GSX through Dark Phoenix Saga and then Days of Future Past to be the only really essential X-Men reads. And they're not wrong. But PERSONALLY, I started reading in the mid-80's, so my favorite runs are the Paul Smith run, then the Romita Jr stuff going into Mutant Massacre, then SIlvestri shows up for Fall of the Mutants and Inferno. Those are MY X-Men, so that's the stuff that I actually get excited about. Your mileage would vary. After that, for my personal taste, nothing really strikes a chord until you get to Age of Apocalypse. After that, Whedon's Astonishing run is fun, but I'd consider Morrison's New X-Men to be the really necessary volume.

But the first two UXM Omnis would cover the stuff that most folks would consider absolutely essential, for sure.

Correct. They seem to be reprinting Vol. 1 every 3 years, so I would expect the 5th print to be on the schedule sometime in 2022.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Correct. They seem to be reprinting Vol. 1 every 3 years, so I would expect the 5th print to be on the schedule sometime in 2022.

I’ll have to be patient as I just got into Omni’s. The plan is to eventually get the first four ASM volumes. I have V2 on order and will get the Stern Omnibus when it comes out next year.

10 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

On this note, a Reddit post inspired me to take a look at the Spawn Origins Collections on eBay, and they're now all mostly exorbitantly priced because "OOP".

Thank lord I jumped on that bandwagon before 2020. lol

Which Spawn, the 4-volume big slip-cased one or the 10-volume set? I opted for the latter which was cheaper but still hard to complete with #8 and #7 topping the bill.

11 hours ago, bobotski said:

Which Spawn, the 4-volume big slip-cased one or the 10-volume set? I opted for the latter which was cheaper but still hard to complete with #8 and #7 topping the bill.

All of them. Even the TPBs are climbing in price.

Of the 10 HC ones, only #1 and #3 were "big" buys for me.

At the risk of diminishing shelf space, I see that Dan Slott's She Hulk run is getting the omnibus treatment and that the Byrne run is all being reprinted in November.

What do people think of either series?  I have to admit I like the legal angle (married to a lawyer).

Sorry Piper, I haven't read either series, so I can't give a recommendation there.

But, what I CAN tell folks, is that Target is running one of their Buy 2 Get 1 Free sales on Movies, Music and Books starting this Sunday 10/11 through 10/17!

Now, some caveats:

1. Not all movies and books are eligible, though a lot of them are. You should see an "offer available" blurb on the item page if it is part of the sale.

2. The deals all depend on what Target has the book priced at originally. For some titles, their prices are in line with IST and Amazon, or at least within a few bucks. so B2G1 is a screaming good deal! However, on other volumes, they have them at full MSRP, so it's not any kind of bargain at all compared to what you can get it the book at other places. It truly is Your Mileage May Vary depending entirely on the individual books.

That being said, it's always worth checking out.

What I would do is look through their listings today and tomorrow, and if the retail price looks good to you, put it in your cart. The sale usually goes live around 3am EST Sat Night/Sun morning, so when you wake up, the sale price will likely be reflected in your cart. If not, refresh. If not then, you may have to remove and re-add the items to your cart. If it still doesn't show up as discounted, then the book must not be part of the sale.

Happy hunting! I don't think there's much I'm looking for book-wise, but I'm hoping to pick up a few movies.

4 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Sorry Piper, I haven't read either series, so I can't give a recommendation there.

But, what I CAN tell folks, is that Target is running one of their Buy 2 Get 1 Free sales on Movies, Music and Books starting this Sunday 10/11 through 10/17!

Now, some caveats:

1. Not all movies and books are eligible, though a lot of them are. You should see an "offer available" blurb on the item page if it is part of the sale.

2. The deals all depend on what Target has the book priced at originally. For some titles, their prices are in line with IST and Amazon, or at least within a few bucks. so B2G1 is a screaming good deal! However, on other volumes, they have them at full MSRP, so it's not any kind of bargain at all compared to what you can get it the book at other places. It truly is Your Mileage May Vary depending entirely on the individual books.

That being said, it's always worth checking out.

What I would do is look through their listings today and tomorrow, and if the retail price looks good to you, put it in your cart. The sale usually goes live around 3am EST Sat Night/Sun morning, so when you wake up, the sale price will likely be reflected in your cart. If not, refresh. If not then, you may have to remove and re-add the items to your cart. If it still doesn't show up as discounted, then the book must not be part of the sale.

Happy hunting! I don't think there's much I'm looking for book-wise, but I'm hoping to pick up a few movies.

Sweet!

7 hours ago, piper said:

At the risk of diminishing shelf space, I see that Dan Slott's She Hulk run is getting the omnibus treatment and that the Byrne run is all being reprinted in November.

What do people think of either series?  I have to admit I like the legal angle (married to a lawyer).

As a big John Byrne fan I like his She-Hulk series.

Story-wise it's very silly, with lots of fourth wall breaking.

The artwork, as well as his usual strong visual storytelling, is also unashamed GGA.

A fun series.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/8/2020 at 4:14 PM, F For Fake said:

Well, with Claremont and X-Men it's really a personal choice. That would be a LOGICAL choice, as most people would consider that run from GSX through Dark Phoenix Saga and then Days of Future Past to be the only really essential X-Men reads. And they're not wrong. But PERSONALLY, I started reading in the mid-80's, so my favorite runs are the Paul Smith run, then the Romita Jr stuff going into Mutant Massacre, then SIlvestri shows up for Fall of the Mutants and Inferno. Those are MY X-Men, so that's the stuff that I actually get excited about. Your mileage would vary. After that, for my personal taste, nothing really strikes a chord until you get to Age of Apocalypse.

For me, the Claremont run is extremely readable from beginning to end; 70s all the way through to early 90s.

On 10/8/2020 at 3:04 AM, Wolverinex said:

Sweet set.  I was going to pick this up but I don't know if I can  stand all the silver age X-men stories.. the last time I read them they were so outdated...

Despite reading them in British reprints as a kid in the 70s, I pass on most of them these days, especially once Roy Thomas takes over.  I still find his Avengers very readable, less so his X-Men.  For me, there's the early Stan Lee / Jack Kirby issues, Thomas' introduction of Banshee, the introduction of Polaris with Jim Steranko art, and then issue 54 with the introduction of Alex Summers / Havok, and finally from there through to the end of the classic Neal Adams run.  

Still, a lot's left out.

Edited by Ken Aldred

42 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

For me, the Claremont run is extremely readable from beginning to end; 70s all the way through to early 90s.

Yeah, I reread them recently and they are still fantastic.  

Btw, if anyone has any recommendations on good omnibus to pick up during the sale, please let me know.  I only have a few and might pick up some during this upcoming sale.  I open to anything just want it to be a good read.