• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics That Brought You Back

43 posts in this topic

I started collecting in 1980, at the ripe age of 4. I still have some of those first books I bought at the flea market, torn to shreds and all.

By the time I was 13 I had my own "flea market vending booth," which was like a 3-day a week gig. From the age of 4 until about 18 or so I was a comic junkie. Then I, well, you know, got laid.

Returned to comics as a married man with the purchase of some pre-codes horror books that I couldn't afford as a kid but always loved. My flea market operation was almost strictly one and two dollar books. Sometimes I had a ten dollar book, which was a big deal. I had a couple of VG- pre-codes as a teen that I thought were just about as amazing as the Hope Diamond. So it was fun to get back into the funny books years later with a little bit of dough in my wallet, and pick up some books that I would have never dreamed I could own as a kid.

Now that I've done that, I've managed to retool my collecting goals into something focused, something else I could never do in my youth. And I continue to focus even further...

I had stopped reading and collecting comics around 1990.In 2000 I heard the buzz about the Spidey movie, with the Green Goblin(my favorite).I thought it would be cool to have a copy of ASM #14(which I never owned as a kid),so I went on ebay.While checking out the prices,I noticed some of the books were in cool plastic cases.I finally won a VG+ 4.5 CGC copy for $330,the most I had ever paid for a comic in my life.Well,that opened the floodgates for me,I went on to buy the first 50 issues(all in those cool plastic cases) wink.gifFunny thing is,that first CGC ASM #14 I got arrived cracked in the back,from one side to the other. 27_laughing.gif.It's the only cracked slab I own,but I'm keepin it cause its got personality. headbang.gif

Well, I stopped buying comics actively in 1976 (post Incredible Hulk #181), and I have to say what brought me back in 2002, was when I saw what the Hulk #181's were selling for. So I rolled up my sleeves and pulled my books out of the basement, and sold my two Hulk #181's . . . and the rest is his_story grin.gif

Thanks for bringing that up! Hulk 181 is the reason some guy Wolverine and his Origin series got me in full swing and making money on comic books.Now I have some 20000 back issues, dont know if ill will ever sell it all but hey it doesnt matter its all paid for! thumbsup2.gif

Davidking623

Peter David and Todd McFarlane on Incredible Hulk. They turned the entire series around.

Same here! I had stopped buying comics (new or old) for several years and this caught my eye at the newsstand and got me hooked all over again.

I quit collecting when I went to college.

Sandman #8 was the book that brought me back. A buddy gave me a crumpled up copy that the LCS gave him. It was the free version with the Karen Berger editorial that went on to fetch $500 and up when Sandman was really popular.

I loved the story and the art (and it only got better). I still have the book.

ASM 300. In 1999-2000 I was already active on eBay selling and buying SWEP 1 figures and Playstation games. I came across a short box of comics I had under my bed back at my parents' house on Staten Island. I was looking up prices of what they were selling for on eBay and I thought it'd be fun to sell these and pick up more loot for Playstation games foreheadslap.gif I had 5 ASM 300s in really great shape, 3 with the jagged "newstand" cut edge, however. I had some Fall of the Mutants x-men, Mcfarlane Spiderman run and early defenders. It all snowballed from the slabbing and sales of the ASM 300s...

I collected avidly from 1978 - 1983 and then sold almost all of them when I went away to college. After that, for more than 20 years my comic gene was in remission. Every once in awhile I would wander into the bookstore and thumb through an Overstreet Guide to lament about all the comics I sold for a fraction of their current value, but hey, I needed the money for college so I shrugged my shoulders and moved on. Then in 2002 I started buying and selling various stuff on eBay and found myself browsing the comics to see what my old books were actually selling for. I sort of followed them casually online until last summer when dusted off a short-box of random left-over comics that I had not sold back in 1983. I went through them and found that some of the then-worthless books had actually become collectible! While going through that box, something clicked and the next thing I know I was on eBay every day looking to rebuild my old collection and the nostalgia bug still has me going strong. Funny thing, I really have no interest in reading anything new...maybe because with a wife and two small children, I barely have the time to collect old stuff let alone anything new. I get my reading pleasures out of rediscovering the bronze and silver books of my youth...I just turned 40 and the joy of re-reading a favorite comic for the first time in 25 or more years is a cool thing indeed (although the wife just doesn't get it and thinks I'm wasting my time...sigh)

Greg

I collected avidly from 1978 - 1983 and then sold almost all of them when I went away to college. After that, for more than 20 years my comic gene was in remission. Every once in awhile I would wander into the bookstore and thumb through an Overstreet Guide to lament about all the comics I sold for a fraction of their current value, but hey, I needed the money for college so I shrugged my shoulders and moved on. Then in 2002 I started buying and selling various stuff on eBay and found myself browsing the comics to see what my old books were actually selling for. I sort of followed them casually online until last summer when dusted off a short-box of random left-over comics that I had not sold back in 1983. I went through them and found that some of the then-worthless books had actually become collectible! While going through that box, something clicked and the next thing I know I was on eBay every day looking to rebuild my old collection and the nostalgia bug still has me going strong. Funny thing, I really have no interest in reading anything new...maybe because with a wife and two small children, I barely have the time to collect old stuff let alone anything new. I get my reading pleasures out of rediscovering the bronze and silver books of my youth...I just turned 40 and the joy of re-reading a favorite comic for the first time in 25 or more years is a cool thing indeed (although the wife just doesn't get it and thinks I'm wasting my time...sigh)

Greg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'm wondering if I have a split personality with one of the shards being named Greg, as this sounds almost exactly like something I'd write.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

From the age of 4 until about 18 or so I was a comic junkie. Then I, well, you know, got laid.

lol. Good one!!

Somehow the same thing happened to me. After that was over (marriage), I started again.

I stopped reading comics in the late 80's toward the end of high school. I looked at a few comics in the 90's but didn't buy anything (I'm also thankful that I missed that entire decade). My mom sent me an article about the Death of Superman since it was such a media event. Other than that, I had no clue what was going on in the industry.

A few years later I was hanging out at a friend's house and he had the Death of Superman TPB. I picked it up and read the whole thing in one sitting. It didn't bring me back per se (it would be 10 more years before I got back into collecting), but I really enjoyed the story - probably because I was able to read the story apart from all the hype, the speculation, and the aftermath stories (some of which I've read recently and didn't enjoy at all).

When I stopped collecting comics in the late 80's, I was certain (in my 18-year-old wisdom) that I'd never be interested in them again. The DoS TPB showed me that I could still sit down and enjoy a good story. It planted a seed, I guess.

There's no one issue in particular that brought me back this time. I wanted to get back into collecting, period. I found a cheap copy of the DoS TPB sometime last year, and I doubt I'll ever get rid of it. I like the story too much.

it was more of an experiment for me really....

i'd stopped collecting in the early 90s (seems most did) but a friend of mine showed me her Preacher TPBs...a year or so later i went into my local (where i also fed my gaming addiction) and picked up Preacher TPBs vol 1, 2 and 3.

while i was there....i just had to know...had the x-men returned to glory? did DC find its way again? were the indy titles still as good as when i left? did image still suck?

over the course of the last year i've started to put together SA JLA and GL runs as well as rediscover comics in general....

My first return to comics was in the early 80's with a 7-11 copy of FF # 244( John Byrne) and my second return to comics was in the early 90's with Spider-man # 1 (Todd McFarlane).It's kind of a shame that 7-11 doesn't carry them anymore.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif