• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me understand why people dont like Batman Begins

46 posts in this topic

To me it is a masterpiece, a work of art. The only things I didnt like about the movie are

1. the techno moving chair weapon thing in the car which I felt was uneccessary

2. The evil deed of the end was a bit to grandiose in scale not to mention a device that can eradicate a water supply would certainly kill all humans it contacted.

However, this all said, If I can suspend belief that a guy bitten by a spider can become a spiderman I can believe this device ( after all it is comics ).

I am having an issue with my best friend, who is as much a "milleresque" batman fan as I am, I fully expected him to love the movie as much as I do and he came out of the movie not liking it. His reasons?

1. The guy who plays Flass is in the movie to much ( boggle like that is any reason to not like a movie )

2. He felt it plodded along

3. then he said he wished the development of Batman was slowed down, he felt it was rushed!!???!! ( make up your mind!!! )

4. He felt the fight scenes were to "camera shaky" and couldnt see what was going on. ( whereas I liked it, as I felt the fighting was always shown as if you were there involved in the fight and couldnt really tell what was going on..lended towards the mysteriousness of the Batman )

Reading these boards I see many people that say they didnt like it, or they think a list of movies is far better than Batman Begins. I simply dont see it.

Care to explain further? It will help me understand a friend who I currently think says he doesnt like the movie simply because I do. :P

Artboy99

I haven't seen it yet, but plan to. What I don't like are the deviations from the original story. One of his first foes after becoming Batman is Ra's Al Ghul? Chill isn't killed by his henchmen after revealing that he's responsible for creating Batman?

I didn't really care for Batman Begins. To me it was very similar to the Hulk in that the origin took too long tell for something that should have taken a short time.

There was a lack of a main villain which made the point of Batman kinda lame. I mean if Ras' group was this secret society that has been doing their thing for many years, then who really cares. The Scarecrow was such an insignificant villain he was almost laughable.

Gotham looked plain and boring, except for the monorail system, which was destroyed.

I wanted to see more of Batman fighting or doing something, instead there was a lot of Gary Oldham in it.

It was just boring overall.

Let the attack begin.

Gotham looked plain and boring, except for the monorail system, which was destroyed.

I really liked the movie and I thought the villains were done well, but I agree with this point. I thought Burton's Gotham City was MILES ahead of this version.

"I wanted to see more of Batman fighting or doing something, instead there was a lot of Gary Oldham in it"

I didn't feel that Lt. Gordon was used all that much. It actually was a pleasant change to see Oldham NOT playing as a "bad guy"(his usual forte). I still give the film a thumbsup2.gif

I thought Batman Begins was a home run.

I liked the villains, I liked the acting, I liked the fact that everything about Batman was part of a natural process. A led to B which led to C and so on... we are so used to Z that I found it refreshing. And while there were breaks with continuity, that doesn't bother me much since I've yet to find a film that adheres to comics continuity religiously... this was much truer to my view of the modern comic book Batman than any previous incarnation (well, the tv show was a pretty good interpretation of the 1950's Batman).

I particularly liked Gotham City in this film, I found the Burton Gotham City too ridiculous, too cartoony. This Gotham isn't far removed from our reality.

I also liked the stuff with Bruce's parents. You get a sense of why Bruce revered his father, and it makes their murder even more heart-breaking.

What I didn't like (some spoilers, beware):

Katie Holmes - while she wasn't bad at what she did, the character was unnecessary as a potential love interest. It could have been school chum Harvey Dent and been just as effective without the love interest sub-plot (actually, much more effective when Dent eventually became Two-Face).

Batman doesn't really save the day. It's Gordon who stops the train with the fear machine in it. Batman chooses to face Ra's head on when he doesn't have to. He could just as easily taken out the train and then gone in afterwards for clean up. While it leads to future possibilities - isn't Gotham worse off at the end of BB with an Asylum full of homicidal psych patients on the loose? Granted, their release wasn't necessarily his fault. But Gordon contained the situation with some help from Batman. Heck, Batman couldn't even save his own house from being destroyed...

Overall though I liked it, and I think it's the strongest comic book movie since last year's Spider-Man 2 (and X2 before that).

1. No mutants

2. Not enough hot women who could turn Invisible in the movie

3. Because some people are fools who like a campy goofball Batman

4. Confused Marvel fan could not find any super special radiation that was dumped on Bats

5. Movies villian had no goofy metal masks, arms, claws etc. so again Marvel fan was lost

DBK go watch The Gift...Katie Holmes is naked in that.

Anyhow I kinda agree with the topic of the thread,I just it just amounts to people having bad taste in movies,Some people think Citizen Kane and Spider-man 2 sucked and thought Batman & Robin was the greatest movie in the world.Everything is just a matter of opinion but alot of people can't reconize when something is good.

you are too droll, sometimes............ grin.gif

well i loved it. thought it was the best Batman movie and i liked Batman a lot. can't say the same for the other three. never even got through Batman and Robin..................

and OT; just saw the theatrical trailer for King Kong (believe it had a tad more footage towards the end than the one that was linked to, here). normally i wouldn't get too excited to see a remake of my favorite movie of all time, but this generated a great sense of anticipation for me. i even think Jack Black is gonna make an excellent Carl Denham............... thumbsup2.gif

I thought it was a mediocre movie trailing behind Batman and Batman Returns (two Burton flicks). There was nothing for me to "grab on to". Meaning it didn't seem like a real human drama. It was all way out there, very comic-booky. Sure, you can say that about other comic films as well, but in both X-Men films, both Spideys, and the first two Batman movies I felt a connection with just the people in the movie being people, outside of all the superhero stuff. I did not get that at all from Batman Begins.

Furthermore, although I would not say it was bad, I have no need to buy the DVD or see it again, same as any movie I'd rate three out of five stars. As a comic book fan wanting to see a good comic book movie that was worthy of it's comic book origins, sure it was a good film. As a moviegoer wanting to enjoy a basic good movie, it just didn't cut it.

I'm just the opposite. I thought this movie had more of a realistic feeling to it than, say the X-men movies and Burton's goofy Batman.

Spidey 2 however I thought was done very very well. I'd rate that one above all the Batman's.

My take:

I liked the new Gotham; it was more realistic that Burton's vision. In fact I get the feeling that this could actually have happened--whereas Burton's Batman didn't.

The how and why's of Batman's origin was very well told; I agree that they could've shortened it up, but I considered it a refreshing change. How they were able to tie in Bruce's FEAR into the overall theme from a villian perspective of FEAR was well done.

I actually liked that Gotham was in fact in WORSE shape in the end. No neat bow tie endings which will obviously tie into further adventures.

I didn't like the love interest---wasn't effective and wasn't (thankfully) expounded upon--could've been wiped out completely with zero impact on movie.

The overall flow is considerably DARKER than Spider-man (which is a plus for me) but the overall flow gets a B- which I'm sure detracts from an otherwise delicious chapter of the detective. I agree with Sid that character development was a handicap; I hope this gets addressed in the sequel.

If they can keep the tone, keep the pace faster, and keep the cheese factor out the sequel should be even better!

I thought it was a mediocre movie trailing behind Batman and Batman Returns (two Burton flicks). There was nothing for me to "grab on to". Meaning it didn't seem like a real human drama. It was all way out there, very comic-booky. Sure, you can say that about other comic films as well, but in both X-Men films, both Spideys, and the first two Batman movies I felt a connection with just the people in the movie being people, outside of all the superhero stuff. I did not get that at all from Batman Begins.

I understand what you may be saying in relation to the Spidey and X-flicks, they (like Batman Begins imho), had strong directors who understood the need for "character" (not characters) over flash... but I hope you aren't suggesting that the Burton Batman movies were "human dramas" on any level beyond the superficial. They were cartoony, and like most of Burton's films for me, nearly unwatchable beyond a first viewing. They had about as much depth as a slice of bread...