• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AQUAMAN 2 directed by James Wan (12/16/22)
6 6

934 posts in this topic

But some of this is likely not specific to Aquaman 2 itself, but rather general superhero fatigue.

I know...I know...

But look at the top films of 2023.

Barbie and Super Mario Bros. took the top 2 slots, and only 3 superhero films were among the top 10.

Plus - the top comic book film of the year (in the # 3 slot) was an animated one, not officially part of either the MCU or DCEU.

The Flash and The Marvels fell well outside the top 20, and Blue Beetle and Shazam 2 (and likely now Aquaman 2) fell well outside the top 30.

The predictable result?

Fewer comic book films we be greenlit going forward and those that are will likely have smaller budgets.

On 12/26/2023 at 2:30 PM, Gatsby77 said:

But some of this is likely not specific to Aquaman 2 itself, but rather general superhero fatigue.

I know...I know...

But look at the top films of 2023.

Barbie and Super Mario Bros. took the top 2 slots, and only 3 superhero films were among the top 10.

Plus - the top comic book film of the year (in the # 3 slot) was an animated one, not officially part of either the MCU or DCEU.

The Flash and The Marvels fell well outside the top 20, and Blue Beetle and Shazam 2 (and likely now Aquaman 2) fell well outside the top 30.

The predictable result?

Fewer comic book films we be greenlit going forward and those that are will likely have smaller budgets.

And hopefully better scripts.  It's a rough market to be in (new movies) since there has only been a couple hits this year but there has been quite few movies that blew by the expectations (Oppenheimer comes to mind).  The same old superhero flick is just stale and the studios need to find some unique and fun stories before they push more superhero flicks into the theaters.

My 2c - It's been pretty obvious that Marvel has been the darling of most reviewers and a lot of board members but that has changed since End Game.  People seem to be just as critical of the recent slate of movies that Marvel has put out to rival the critical reviews given to DC movies.  I'd even say Marvel movies are now getting more hate and criticism but the complete carp that DC has been putting out doesn't help.

On 12/26/2023 at 2:47 PM, 1Cool said:

My 2c - It's been pretty obvious that Marvel has been the darling of most reviewers and a lot of board members but that has changed since End Game.  People seem to be just as critical of the recent slate of movies that Marvel has put out to rival the critical reviews given to DC movies.  I'd even say Marvel movies are now getting more hate and criticism but the complete carp that DC has been putting out doesn't help.

Right?

Between the female mindless Taskmaster controlled by her daddy, She-Hulk that was created just to trash long-time fans shocked at the drastic change in MCU DC world structure or other streaming shows that were two-hour movies broken up over 6-8 episodes with little payoff or heroes/teams rumored for years just killed off in minutes by an over-powered Mary Sue witch and the goat-screaming comedy experience degrading a thunder god, I'm not sure what they were thinking. At least we got The Batman, Doom Patrol, Titans, Stargirl, Watchmen, Peacemaker, Pennyworth, Superman & Lois, Sandman, Sweet Tooth, Harley Quinn TAS - you know. Solid Marvel content.

:shiftyeyes:

:baiting:

On 12/26/2023 at 1:34 PM, ChillMan said:

Preferring Marvel...isn't an acceptable answer either.

I won't mention CGC again...if...you at least post a reply that doesn't say I'm wrong.  About the media (and I mean all of them) absolutely despising & burying Aquaman 2.

It is the answer. When a forum/company has more of a Marvel-sighted priority focus - including the label program that dashed in to spread more of that Marvel love - I'm not sure what else to tell you.

Just finished and got home before heavy traffic.

I've read a few reviews that noted Arthur cracks jokes after the death of a key character in his universe. I don't know what those people watched, as they were dead wrong.

Spoiler

More than a few noted Arthur's father is killed by Black Manta, to which later on he jokes throughout the movie to overcome his loss. One problem: his father never dies in the movie.

My theater was halfway full, which surprised me due to the excessive critical disdain for this film. And people were actually getting into some of the action scenes and part of the comedy lines.

I thought it was a decent adventure/action film. Not one I may rush back to rewatch one day quickly. But the partnership between Aquaman and Orm to take on Black Manta (who goes totally crazy in his quest to revenge his father's death) actually worked. To include the person that had the most influence on the both of them to strongly encourage they figure out how best to support one another. Though the world threat messaging got a little thick at times - though it fit into the antagonist goals why this was happening.

For me, I'd give it a 7.0/10 overall.

On 12/27/2023 at 4:51 PM, Bosco685 said:

Just finished and got home before heavy traffic.

I've read a few reviews that noted Arthur cracks jokes after the death of a key character in his universe. I don't know what those people watched, as they were dead wrong.

Reveal hidden contents

More than a few noted Arthur's father is killed by Black Manta, to which later on he jokes throughout the movie to overcome his loss. One problem: his father never dies in the movie.

My theater was halfway full, which surprised me due to the excessive critical disdain for this film. And people were actually getting into some of the action scenes and part of the comedy lines.

I thought it was a decent adventure/action film. Not one I may rush back to rewatch one day quickly. But the partnership between Aquaman and Orm to take on Black Manta (who goes totally crazy in his quest to revenge his father's death) actually worked. To include the person that had the most influence on the both of them to strongly encourage they figure out how best to support one another. Though the world threat messaging got a little thick at times - though it fit into the antagonist goals why this was happening.

For me, I'd give it a 7.0/10 overall.

It's blatant LYING, like I said.

Reviewers who never mention politics...I saw 1 guy - I'll say who, Tyrone Magnus - pretending to be passed-out for the first 3 minutes of his review video...and then heavy breathing saying how he never notices politics, but Aquaman 2 was SO horribly preachy leftist about global warming that even he couldn't stand it.

Blatant LYING.  Trying SO HARD to get people to not watch it.  And everyone in the comments agreed like sheep.

Obviously the truth is...the media DESPISES the fact that the global warming is purposely done by Black Manta with ancient Atlantean fuel...and not by us normal humans.

In ANY OTHER movie...the evil global warming villain would be a normal businessman.

On 12/29/2023 at 1:09 AM, ChillMan said:

Barely.  And then A2 beat Wonka the next day.

If you sit back and watch, you will notice the two that play off of one another in rejoicing a film's forced failure and then the MCU diehards that will note Sony/DC always suck anyway. It's in their DNA now.

I bet The Rock's going to be popping the bubbly early this weekend.

It takes skill to open to less than half of Black Adam - but somehow Momoa and company managed to pull it off.

Feel kinda' bad for Patrick Wilson, tho.

1) Been a huge fan of his ever since Hard Candy

2) Physically, he *put in the work* for his role this time around.