• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AQUAMAN 2 directed by James Wan (12/16/22)
6 6

934 posts in this topic

On 12/24/2023 at 10:04 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Weird.

I remember the critical and theatrical failure of BvS leading to the cancellation of 4 planned DCEU movies (Justice League 2, Cyborg, Ben Affleck's Batman, and Deathstroke).

Wherein the catastrophic 69% 2nd weekend drop led to WB panicking, reworking Justice League Part 1 to lighten it up with Whedon, and then - audiences simply didn't show up for it anyway - having already been burned by the prior film.

But hey - at least we've still got Ezra Miller :whee:

Weird, as your consistent bashing of these films with the same messaging is usually attempting to act more informed. The 2014 DC roadmap had neither a Deathstroke nor Ben Affleck Batman film noted at the time. 

Warner Finally Unveils its DC Superhero Movie Slate (2014)

image.thumb.png.03b4bf1bd46b64a3aa091c9f52053651.png

Now once there was a solo Batman lined up which Affleck was going to serve as director and star in, he then walked away from it. But it took a few years for Affleck to admit why he did this - the horrible experiences on the set of Justice League after Snyder left, Joss Whedon took over and Geoff Johns/Jon Berg took over producer responsibilities.

Ben Affleck Reveals Terrible Experience During 'Justice League,' Won't Direct DC Film

“You could teach a seminar on all the reasons why this is how not to do it,” Affleck said. “Ranging from production to bad decisions to horrible personal tragedy, and just ending with the most monstrous taste in my mouth. Going on to note how Zack Snyder‘s Justice League is currently his highest-rated movie on IMDb, but he has just lost interest creatively in exploring the superhero genre.

“All of a sudden I was getting congratulated for the bomb I’m in. But I was going to direct a Batman, and [Justice League] made me go, ‘I’m out. I never want to do any of this again. I’m not suited.’ That was the worst experience I’ve ever seen in a business which is full of some sh*tty experiences.”

Yet Affleck likes Zack Snyder so much, he appeared at the 2023 screening of Zack Snyder's Justice League. In case anyone gets confused and tries to imply it was Snyder he was referring to in the article.

Edited by Bosco685

On 12/24/2023 at 3:58 PM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

‘Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom’ has fourth-lowest opening in DCEU franchise history

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/12/24/aquaman-and-the-lost-kingdom-domestic-box-office-opening.html

goldblum.png

LIST OF DCEU LOSERS

Untitled-DCUOPENINGSCNBC.thumb.jpg.b1a4751f76db25451150985a1718e4dc.jpg

Hey, it’s Mr. Higher, Further,Faster. 

Was looking forward to your pom-poming over in the Marvels thread. What happened?

On 12/24/2023 at 8:06 PM, Number 6 said:

Was looking forward to your pom-poming over in the Marvels thread. What happened?

Always count on the same folks showing up when they want to pounce on the latest victim. They're just attempting to have a good and positive discussion about movies in general.

:shiftyeyes:

CPT_MArvel_Doll.gif.7e71a48d8a6bc13b6688d5a6cef3ef3b.gif

Boscoe..."I don't know" isn't an acceptable answer.  I want you to give an opinion.  So I'll ask again:

Why do you think CGC's headline 'Upcoming December Comic Movies' article was all about Wonka (which obviously isn't even a comic)...with no mention of Aquaman 2...??

On 12/21/2023 at 5:43 PM, Buzzetta said:

Now you know what I would do if I am WB?   I am chewing Gunn out like he has never been chewed out before.

I think I said there or somewhere else.  I honestly forget.  When Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was being released, Shia was badmouthing parts of the film.  Ford basically shook his head and later said that Shia should have shut up and realized that an actor also has to support the film.   It's there job to sell the film.

By Gunn telling everyone that he was not using any of the DCEU actors to portray their DCEU roles moving forward and that he was working on a complete wiping of the slate and reboot, I cannot help but wonder how much apathy he created for Flash and Aquaman.  He essentially contributed toward a sense of apathy for these remaining two films because there is no vested interest in characters that people are already told, no longer matter.  

Agreed!

Shareholders have the right to be very very pissed! Gunn needed to keep his big gob shut until early Jan 2024. Zaslov also to blame for not reigning him in.  Shareholders and the board will now need pound or 2 of flesh...If Gunn fails to produce a HUGE revenue generator from the get-go seems like he's whom the TWD Board will target. They may very well be sharpening their axes...

P.S. Reasons aside, fact is; Having been employed by TWD the entirety of this year, the only studio Gunn actually made money for in 2023 was Disney! 

Edited by MAR1979

Loved the first one, saw it twice in theater and many times at home. 
That said, walked out of this one.  Once that singing special edition alien showed up, had to leave. It just felt cheesy and pretty lame story…didn’t care for the big ship taking out Atlantis all the sudden and the crew with black manta was awful.  

thumbs down. 

On 12/24/2023 at 10:01 PM, MAR1979 said:

Agreed!

Shareholders have the right to be very very pissed! Gunn needed to keep his big gob shut until early Jan 2024. Zaslov also to blame for not reigning him in.  Shareholders and the board will now need pound or 2 of flesh...If Gunn fails to produce a HUGE revenue generator from the get-go seems like he's whom the TWD Board will target. They may very well be sharpening their axes...

P.S. Reasons aside, fact is; Having been employed by TWD the entirety of this year, the only studio Gunn actually made money for in 2023 was Disney! 

It's100% obvious that box-office revenue isn't how Disney (and spreading) gets paid for their movies.

That's like saying Congressmen geniusly saved up their $74k salary and brilliantly bought an Action #1 NR MINT in the 80's.  Or discovered the Church collection.

On 12/24/2023 at 10:02 PM, Gruson said:

Loved the first one, saw it twice in theater and many times at home. 
That said, walked out of this one.  Once that singing special edition alien showed up, had to leave. It just felt cheesy and pretty lame story…didn’t care for the big ship taking out Atlantis all the sudden and the crew with black manta was awful.  

thumbs down. 

That was a 1-second freeze-frame.  Everyone in the theater I was in laughed.

Edited by ChillMan

On 12/24/2023 at 10:02 PM, Gruson said:

...didn’t care for the big ship taking out Atlantis all the sudden and the crew with black manta was awful.  

thumbs down. 

Black Manta's scientist and submarine Captain are both Chinese.

I'm sure this rubs the media the wrong way.

On 12/24/2023 at 9:49 PM, ChillMan said:

Boscoe..."I don't know" isn't an acceptable answer.  I want you to give an opinion.  So I'll ask again:

Why do you think CGC's headline 'Upcoming December Comic Movies' article was all about Wonka (which obviously isn't even a comic)...with no mention of Aquaman 2...??

I would read the rest of what I posted. It may help.

On 12/26/2023 at 5:28 AM, namisgr said:

Aquaman 2 is deserving of all the love that the Forum showed The Marvels before it.  But I'm not yet seeing the same sociological breakdown.  hm

I think they may be in different fanatic categories when comparing the two.

1. Nobody has fanatically proclaimed Captain Marvel Aquaman is the most powerful character ever.
  2. Nobody proclaimed repeatedly Captain Marvel Aquaman could have easily taken out Thanos Darkseid all by herself himself.
  3. Nobody has been accusing anyone that disliked the character or their first solo movie as an misogynist misandrist.
  4. Nobody was attacking opposing studio films so as to build up their beloved MCU DC films with Captain Marvel Aquaman as the figurehead to justify the hate.

All that buildup leading to a bomb is going to bring a certain reaction from those that had to tolerate such behavior for years. If anything, it's going to lead to reciprical jokes and celebration. Justified or not.

On 12/26/2023 at 7:16 AM, Bosco685 said:

All that buildup leading to a bomb is going to bring a certain reaction from those that had to tolerate such behavior for years. If anything, it's going to lead to reciprical jokes and celebration. Justified or not.

While that is true, there was much more to it than that, as the discussion thread on that movie and this one have made plain.

On 12/24/2023 at 8:06 PM, Number 6 said:

With a $47 million opening, it had a lot more business than this clunker.  But ultimately, they're both bombs.

My family saw Wonka yesterday.  It was a fun film.

On 12/26/2023 at 5:03 AM, namisgr said:

With a $47 million opening, it had a lot more business than this clunker.  But ultimately, they're both bombs.

My family saw Wonka yesterday.  It was a fun film.

The point is: both attempts at “celebrating bombs” are transparently juvenile. 

I understand box office results are important as it, among other things, determines whether more these movies get made. But this box office wang-measuring contest has gotten beyond absurd. 

If someone is truly a fan of comic book movies (and not just a simp) then there really hasn’t been a reason to spike the football about in the last couple of years.