• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do creators charge too much for signatures?
2 2

450 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, kav said:

I guess repeatedly suggesting someone is a child isnt an ad hominem?  (shrug)

Just now, kav said:

Even worse tho is ADAMANTIUM-hominem!!!

Believe me the thought is not lost on me :foryou:

Especially coming from the person who then claims that we always defunct into, "I know you are but what am !?!"

It doesn't matter though to me it's just that the "people reading this thread!" Line lol we remember his educational television interrupting me an the starter of the thread, you, in a friendly banter.... I must have insulted my intelligence.... glad for the correction (thumbsu

15 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Especially coming from the person who then claims that we always defunct into, "I know you are but what am !?!"

It doesn't matter though to me it's just that the "people reading this thread!" Line lol we remember his educational television interrupting me an the starter of the thread, you, in a friendly banter.... I must have insulted my intelligence.... glad for the correction (thumbsu

:cloud9:

20 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Watched him sign it myself in like 78.  Not for sale.  Don't care about the green label.  Probably won't ever get anything signed again but still enjoy this one.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_76f.jpg.ca71198d73dc5622dcc7d5c4cd3910db.jpg

Very nice signature placement there.

You're right, it's a keeper.

20 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

"Consider the source", especially on threads like these, becomes paramount.

You have people who have no experience with the SS program, don't go to cons, don't get things signed, don't participate in the SS program at all, who don't talk to the SS program people at CGC, who don't participate in organizing conventions, who don't talk to convention promoters, who openly confess they have zero interest in signed books in the first place, and think it's "defacing" the comics, and who do none of the things necessary to make an informed, educated contribution to this discussion.

Instead, they make bad, ignorant, simplistic arguments like "I can't negotiate with my dentist" (no, but you can go elsewhere, and you probably aren't charged a different price for the service based on what you intend to do with your teeth) and "I don't see what the problem is charging a different price for the same service."

They don't know how much business the creator is doing. They aren't even in a position to guess.

They don't know that certain creators sit at conventions all weekend long, with no business the entire time, because they've priced themselves out of the market.

They don't know that the creators or their reps complain to promoters that they "had a bad show."

They don't know that creators are being lied to, and peer pressured, into charging more than they otherwise would.

The have no idea that creators don't participate in the SS market, and so generally have no idea how it works, other than "people are making $$$ off you!"

They don't understand that creators are creators for a reason; they're not economists, they're mostly not businessmen and women, and they don't really deal with "the business end" of things, which opens them up, in fear and greed, to manipulation by others.

And, frankly...they don't care that creators suffer because they don't get business, and they don't care that their lives are finite, or that a "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"...in other words, $10 for 150 books now is better than $20 for 0 books never. They don't care that creators are hurt by alienating fans, that fans are hurt by being treated like they're somehow taking advantage of the creator if they want their book slabbed, and CGC is hurt...whether it's obvious at the moment or not...by not getting submissions they otherwise would. 

Of course they "don't see a problem" with charging different prices...why would they? They don't participate in the first place. They have no stake...and thus don't care.

My advice..? You want to have an informed, educated opinion on the matter, go to these conventions and observe the situation. Be a witness (CGC is always looking for witness help.) Work the SS program, and see how it operates. Talk to creators. If you don't care about the Signature Series program or signed books in the first place, have never participated in it, and have no clue how it works, and zero interest in getting anything signed...explain to me again how your opinion has value...?

:popcorn:

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's not what ad-hominem is, or how it works.

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Who is "we"? Do you know? And what is the rest of the context of that statement?

I posted several YouTube clips, without comment. Do you know why, or to whom they were directed, if anyone...? How does one "interrupt" others on a threaded message board...?

Lots of assumptions you're making here.

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's not what ad-hominem is, or how it works.

Who is "we"? Do you know? And what is the rest of the context of that statement?

I posted several YouTube clips, without comment. Do you know why, or to whom they were directed, if anyone...? How does one "interrupt" others on a threaded message board...?

Lots of assumptions you're making here.

everyone I was talking to understood me perfect (shrug) who said I was talking about you? assumptions are made and understood (thumbsu 

Now ya did it!!!  lol 

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

everyone I was talking to understood me perfect (shrug) who said I was talking about you? assumptions are made and understood (thumbsu 

I understood you perfect.

Just now, the blob said:

You could have developed warp speed technology or cured herpes with the amount of brain power you have devoted to this trivial topic.

Herpes has been cured.  Tagamet.  Google it.  lol 

1 minute ago, the blob said:

You could have developed warp speed technology or cured herpes with the amount of brain power you have devoted to this trivial topic.

Do you think it's trivial to the people who participate in the Signature Series program?