• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2021 at 10:18 AM, fantastic_four said:

What's a Titan?  Is that an Eternals Kirby thing or something else?

Titan was an early 70's Jim Starlin story element to Thanos. Back then, Titan was still a moon of Saturn and that's where Thanos' family lived. The concept of The Eternals didn't appear until 1976 with Eternals #1. It's with the film Avengers Infinity War that Titan became Thanos' home planet from a different part of the galaxy.

On 8/23/2021 at 10:12 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

The "Thanos is an Eternal who looks like a Deviant" origin is a retcon from only the past 10 years.

Any idea when it was ret-conned?  This is the first I've heard of it, and I'm interested in following the trail of bread crumbs.

On 8/23/2021 at 10:31 AM, fantastic_four said:

Any idea when it was ret-conned?  This is the first I've heard of it, and I'm interested in following the trail of bread crumbs.

I honestly thought Titan was established as an Eternals city in Thanos Rising #1 from 2013. But apparently it does go further back than that beginning with Captain Marvel #29 in 1973. In that issue, the origin of Thanos' father A'lars states that A'lars, or Mentor, was a son of Olympus. He was exiled to the moon of Titan by his brother Zeus.

After the debut of The Eternals #1 in 1976, this origin seems to have been retconned such that A'lars was a son of the Eternals city Olympia (instead of Olympus) and was exiled to Titan by his brother Zuras (instead of Zeus), the Eternal. The actual published retcon seems to have first occured in The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe from 1983 which states A'lars (or Mentor) and Starfox (Eros, his son) are not just Titans, but also Eternals. This is the earliest comic I found that establishes that.

So, my bad. I believe Thanos is first established as an Eternal descendent in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe from 1983. The profiles for Starfox and Titan are in issue #11. The profile for Thanos is in issue #14.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 8/21/2021 at 8:44 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel is about to be at the forefront of the MCU and will be a leader of the future Avengers (along with Sam Wilson). High grade Ms. Marvel 1 and MSH 13 are already steadily climbing back closer to their peaks and ought to surpass those prices once we all finally see that Captain Marvel will be the queen of the MCU.

An open world RPG app game from Marvel drops tomorrow called Marvel Revolution from Netmarble and they have this as one of the loading screens. I'm sure someone somewhere had to approve "the" and not "one of the".

Yes its just a game but I would bet even those taglines have to be approved/given by Marvel. 

Screenshot_20210824-163524_Revolution.jpg

On 8/23/2021 at 11:12 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

So, my bad. I believe Thanos is first established as an Eternal descendent in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe from 1983. The profiles for Starfox and Titan are in issue #11. The profile for Thanos is in issue #14.

Thanks!  I particularly hadn't realized that Starlin intended Titan to be the moon of Saturn and that later authors ret-conned it to be in another solar system.

One thing I'm finding confusing is whether Thanos is an Eternal or a Deviant.  There are sources out there claiming both, but more seem to claim he's a Deviant.  Wikipedia says he's both and the son of two Eternals, which confuses that whole concept of Eternals supposedly not reproducing.

On 8/24/2021 at 6:54 PM, fantastic_four said:

Thanks!  I particularly hadn't realized that Starlin intended Titan to be the moon of Saturn and that later authors ret-conned it to be in another solar system.

Titan, the moon of Saturn, continued to be Thanos' home in the comics. It was changed for the film Avengers Infinity War to be in another part of the galaxy.

On 8/18/2021 at 3:10 PM, TupennyConan said:

I've never seen so many covers. This means this movie will be great & smell greater, all coked-up & drenched in Chanel.

I’m hoping that, in the end, the reviews are more Chanel than Sex Panther.

I really like the comic book.

On 8/18/2021 at 4:04 PM, valiantman said:

The best "screen shot" from Eternals that I've seen so far is from still from Guardians of the Galaxy. lol

image.thumb.png.e03fa01001e78c552e9dce839f792545.png

That’s one of my favourite scenes in any Marvel Studio film.

On 8/19/2021 at 2:46 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I believe Sersi will end up being the main character. This was confirmed by Kevin Feige. It makes sense, as she is the Eternal who loves being with humans the most and is the one OG Eternal (not counting Starfox) who actually became an Avenger.

She’s the most interesting Eternal, a trickster character.

On 8/24/2021 at 5:54 PM, fantastic_four said:

One thing I'm finding confusing is whether Thanos is an Eternal or a Deviant.  There are sources out there claiming both, but more seem to claim he's a Deviant.  Wikipedia says he's both and the son of two Eternals, which confuses that whole concept of Eternals supposedly not reproducing.

From what I can remember, according to the Eternals (1976-1978) as published, Thanos is never mentioned at all.

The retcon for The Eternals occurred primarily in Bronze Age What If? back-up stories, where they created two extraterrestrial colonies, one on Titan and one inside Uranus (yes, that was deliberate).

Thanos could have remained simply an Eternal from Titan with a mutated appearance, but this was more recently complicated with the claim that he has a Deviant gene.  There was also the idea that his mother was a Skrull in disguise at one point, also to explain his facial appearance.

The Eternals were created in the comics by the genetic engineering performed by The Celestials on a common, shared hominid ancestor, which makes us related species, genetic ‘cousins’.  This has been changed in the film, for me, spoiled and complicated somewhat, by making The Eternals aliens and removing that interrelationship.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/25/2021 at 9:51 AM, Ken Aldred said:

one on Titan and one inside Uranus (yes, that was deliberate).

lol

On 8/25/2021 at 9:51 AM, Ken Aldred said:

There was also the idea that his mother was a Skrull in disguise at one point, also to explain his facial appearance.

Wow, never knew that!  Always wondered if those chins were related somehow!

On 8/25/2021 at 10:40 AM, valiantman said:

From what I can remember, according to the Eternals (1976-1978) as published, Thanos is never mentioned at all.

Thanos, Mentor, and Firefox were not considered Eternals when Marvel Comics released The Eternals series in 1976. They were still just Titans with roots to the Greek gods of Olympus.  When Thanos was turned to stone at the end of Marvel Two-in-One Annual 2 in 1978 and rendered inactive for several years, he was still not considered an Eternal descendant. The earliest book I found that officially refers to the denizens of Titan as Eternals is The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe from 1983, in the entries for Starfox, Thanos, and Titan. And I imagine this was done because of their Olympus connection and The Eternals having been confused in history for being Greek gods. It’s a little confusing.