• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

In a recent appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Harington confessed that he didn't know much about his Eternals character when he was cast for the part. The 34-year-old revealed that the movie's creators didn't send him a -script so he had to turn to Google for help. As it turned out, Harington discovered that Dane Whitman/The Black Knight was a lot like his iconic Game of Thrones character.

"I didn't get sent a -script. I just got sent, 'This is who you're playing.'" So I was like, 'Okay.' So I just had to Google the character. This is you know, a hell of a way to kind of work out who you're playing. I Googled him. He's a character called Dane Whitman, and I realized he has a sword and rides a horse. And I was like, 'I know this guy. I've been this guy.' "

:nyah:

On 8/14/2021 at 6:26 PM, Larryw7 said:

Too bad all of those Black Knight keys are going to drop like a rock when this movie flops. On the other hand, Chanel sales may skyrocket.

Yeah, things are starting to look bad for Eternals.

On 8/2/2021 at 12:52 PM, Bosco685 said:
On 8/2/2021 at 12:28 PM, HighVoltage said:

You know... I don't hate the Eternals.
I just never really liked the characters as much as say – a Richard Rider Nova.

And I do hope that the movie is awesome. That would be great! I don't root for any superhero movie to fail.
I wish DC were a bigger competitor to Marvel, to push them to make good/better stuff.

I can say that I don't have any preconceived notions about the characters, so my expectations are open on who they are and where the movie goes.
But - the trailer/trailers haven't gotten me jazzed up to see the movie. Maybe they'll have a better cut... I don't know.
Right now there's not a compelling hook to drag me into this. Maybe it'll be the Black Knight.

To assume someone hates a comic book production just because they are disappointed with the trailers and teasers so far is a very blind approach to thing.

Your statement above is my mindset on these things. And healthy competition between the companies to push each over to be more successful is great for fans as a whole.

But when fans make it into a toxic competition, that's where their mentality has gone off the rails.

MEME QUARTZ CAVE.jpg

On 8/18/2021 at 9:33 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

They didn't get the feedback that the trailer looked boring. These are even worse:

r/marvelstudios - Meet The Eternals! (via Entertainment Weekly)

Entertainment Weekly has only ever produced multiple variant character covers of a MCU movie for the Avengers films and Marvel Studios' 10th Anniversary. This many covers tells me Disney isn't messing around with Eternals.

The problem with Marvel movies moving forward is that there is an anticipation for a culminating chapter or movie.   When we got Iron Man, the tag at the end of Nick Fury asking Tony about the Avengers initiative got the audience excited.  Would we actually get an Avengers?  Then we had Thor and Captain America and Hulk and things were in place.  The culminating movie was Avengers. 

Then the tag at the end of Avengers with Thanos got everyone excited because we knew where this was headed.  The moment that Thanos appeared and that we realized that the Tesseract could be an infinity stone we kind of knew where this was headed and every chapter would take us another step toward an 'Endgame'. 

We need a new 'Endgame' 

Black Widow was a filler movie and that is part of its problem.  At no point was I ever in suspense as to the fate of Natasha by the end of the movie because I already knew she lives and where it will go. 

Now, if Marvel wants to capture the audience again, they have to tease another big event within the next couple of movies.  They have kind of done that with Kang in the Loki series but I do not know if that is enough until they introduce the threat to everyone. 

So how will the Eternals push the narrative toward Kang? 

So how will Shang Chi push the narrative toward Kang? 

Dr Strange and Spider-man will...  but the next two movies need to hint toward being part of the bigger narrative in some way be it a teaser, reference, or tag otherwise these movies are like side quests in a video game. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/18/2021 at 10:33 AM, Buzzetta said:

It won't, it will push the narrative towards the X-Men.  Which is what Kirby had in mind himself when he created the Celestials back in the 1970s.

My guess is that Feige's crew have had Eternals on the creative burner for years just waiting for whenever they were able to re-obtain the rights to the X-Men.  We got the Eternals announcement in April 2018, and by then the Fox deal had been on the way to being reality for well over a year.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 8/18/2021 at 10:47 AM, fantastic_four said:

It won't, it will push the narrative towards the X-Men.  Which is what Kirby had in mind himself when he created the Celestials back in the 1970s.

My guess is that Feige's crew have had Eternals on the creative burner for years just waiting for whenever they were able to re-obtain the rights to the X-Men.  We got the Eternals announcement in April 2018, and by then the Fox deal was well on the way to being reality.

Now it has my interest.

On 8/18/2021 at 10:33 AM, Buzzetta said:

The problem with Marvel movies moving forward is that there is an anticipation for a culminating chapter or movie.   When we got Iron Man, the tag at the end of Nick Fury asking Tony about the Avengers initiative got the audience excited.  Would we actually get an Avengers?  Then we had Thor and Captain America and Hulk and things were in place.  The culminating movie was Avengers. 

Then the tag at the end of Avengers with Thanos got everyone excited because we knew where this was headed.  The moment that Thanos appeared and that we realized that the Tesseract could be an infinity stone we kind of knew where this was headed and every chapter would take us another step toward an 'Endgame'. 

We need a new 'Endgame' 

Black Widow was a filler movie and that is part of its problem.  At no point was I ever in suspense as to the fate of Natasha by the end of the movie because I already knew she lives and where it will go. 

Now, if Marvel wants to capture the audience again, they have to tease another big event within the next couple of movies.  They have kind of done that with Kang in the Loki series but I do not know if that is enough until they introduce the threat to everyone. 

So how will Shang Chi push the narrative toward Kang? 

Dr Strange and Spider-man will...  but the next two movies need to hint toward being part of the bigger narrative in some way be it a teaser, reference, or tag otherwise these movies are like side quests in a video game. 

Not necessarily. Winter Soldier helped set up Age of Ultron and Civil War. Ant-Man set up Ant-Man and the Wasp. Civil War set up Black Panther. GOTG Vol 2 set up the debut of Adam Warlock. Some MCU films set up a larger narrative, some simply set up the next movie in rotation. Black Widow set up Yelena Belova's involvement in the larger MCU and the upcoming Hawkeye show.

It's also worth noting that when Bob Iger announced his retirement as Disney's CEO and was contemplating his run for president in 2015 he claimed that the main reason he didn't do it was to see the Fox acquisition through before he stepped down as CEO, so the deal was in the works for quite a while before we started hearing about it publicly.  The comics division of Marvel had gone to the mattresses with Fox before that by killing off Wolverine and cancelling Fantastic Four, but by 2018 they brought Wolverine back and re-started Fantastic Four, so the idea that the Fox deal would happen was rippling through more places in Marvel than just the MCU.

If you're unfamiliar with the tie between the Celestials and the MCU I posted the details earlier this year in the Wandavision thread.  All of what I hypothesized about the emergence of the X-Men below is still viable, but it turns out none of it was explicitly ever revealed in Wandavision as I was hoping it might be.  But in retrospect that makes some sense...it's a bit early to start teasing the X-Men now given that we won't see them in films for another 4-5 years.  I highly recommend reading the six pages linked below, they're a short read and a great overview of the ret-con that Kirby planned out to explain how "evolution" could ever lead to superpowers like the X-Men have.

On 2/24/2021 at 12:24 PM, fantastic_four said:

I found the original story that identified mutants as having been a product of the Celestials.  It's from What If? #23 in 1980, and it's a secondary story in the issue that's only six pages and appears to serve as a teaser for the Eternals comic that also explains its back story.  All six pages are included below.  Very short read that explains the high-level concept of the forthcoming Eternals film including who the Celestials are and how the Deviants, Eternals, and X-gene mutants were all derived from rapidly evolving early human primates.  WELL worth a read to see how the X-Men are likely to be introduced into the MCU.  Oddly it's not written or illustrated by Kirby, but since Kirby came up with the Eternals I assume he must have collaborated heavily with Mark Gruenwald to get the story points in the pages below straight.

Note in particular the final two pages overviewing what the Celestial Oneg did with seeding a dormant gene into primitive man.  NOW I see why Feige wanted to do the Eternals film, and also why it's just as easy to introduce the X-Men now into the MCU as it was at any time--you just need a catalyst to awaken the dormant genes inserted into a small set of men by Oneg.  And as I mentioned yesterday, I bet it's High Evolutionary who did that in Sokovia because that's the site where the Celestials landed millions of years ago, and Wanda and Pietro are descended from Oneg's test subjects.  There's also no reason Magneto couldn't also be descended from them and the father of the twins.  Doing it that way smooths over for the MCU the multiple ret-cons of Wanda and Pietro from mutates to mutants and back to mutates that was done in the comics as well as explaining why we're not seeing the X-Men until now.

If that's how they're going to do it, we should expect either Herbert Wyndham or possibly someone else who continues his research to appear in an upcoming film and continue identifying Celestial DNA in humanity and experimenting on them to unlock their X-genes.

UFEhD8GsXPjYO3pYYa-Uj2uY_iNbt0NtOZM4PptnDmrlKQ-goXiPZ_3NiVPkTyrKLZmkQphjcHleAA=s1600 wwk5vZB-pn6Vyj4Q5DrsY9ITDlNAPdYVUqTi_-yXDP7WHcOPFWAJYZZl-3nhHMm3Ht15ghflMdiYsA=s1600hHOYPZZs2B4iiUh9UfTXpxXwviSeJRupeLAU74LEppAK-psuAjuoRUydlXoVtP5NUFZhPh2gtcFNTA=s1600 sUhXSf95JT_rj35XHgS0k1mIV9kKKDYdHFB8yAKpcrWb9ES5GctFzwSu4Ky5-d3Ep1ppnW5ykXwqIg=s1600 VTJVv3wXiwFUouDyOLns7ghHjEljY8AQEjxnjckGdv13wclY1j5ixtSBvRvRRnuCzZD_61qCIAbWvA=s1600 wQbevGzrvab3v5iKvivU3IKGE1TIoJLdAMwF3Kao6hF7RWYUqXsMlq-IcIEiW5JT2GvYgh557Je_eA=s1600

Edited by fantastic_four

On 8/18/2021 at 10:47 AM, fantastic_four said:

My guess is that Feige's crew have had Eternals on the creative burner for years just waiting for whenever they were able to re-obtain the rights to the X-Men.  We got the Eternals announcement in April 2018, and by then the Fox deal had been on the way to being reality for well over a year.

I don't think Eternals directly sets up the X-Men in the MCU. I think it just sets up more Eternals and maybe Black Knight. I think Marvel Studios wants to keep this movie about the Eternals because Marvel wants them to be major players, not stop gaps to something else. Like a Reed Richards showing up in WandaVision, setting up the X-Men in Eternals would just undermine the spotlight on Marvel's currently least favorite immortals. I think X-Men are a long way off before we see them in the MCU. General audiences don't care about the X-Men in the MCU until they get properly introduced. The only folks I think who really truly care are hardcore comics fans from the past and Marvel Studios doesn't necessarily always keep that part of the audience in mind.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 8/18/2021 at 10:05 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

I don't think Eternals directly sets up the X-Men in the MCU. I think it just sets up more Eternals and maybe Black Knight. I think Marvel Studios wants to keep this movie about the Eternals because Marvel wants them to be major players, not stop gaps to something else. Like a Reed Richards showing up in WandaVision, setting up the X-Men in Eternals would just undermine the spotlight on Marvel's currently least favorite immortals. I think X-Men are a long way off before we see them in the MCU. General audiences don't care about the X-Men in the MCU until they get properly introduced. The only folks who really care are hardcore comics fans from the past and Marvel Studios doesn't necessarily always keep that part of the audience in mind.

Hopefully, we'll at least get an answer to "what/who was Knowhere?"  We know it's the head of a Celestial, we know it's dead, and its been in at least two movies.  Eternals ties into the MCU, as we have already known it, if they spend a minute to explain Knowhere.

On 8/18/2021 at 11:05 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

The only folks who really care are hardcore comics fans from the past and Marvel Studios doesn't necessarily always keep that part of the audience in mind.

As Buzzetta just said they did exactly this in 2008 with that post-credits scene in Iron Man that took five years to come to fruition.  Given how that led to the greatest box office success in film history I give the odds that they try a long build-up again good enough to bet at least a few bills on.

There's absolutely no way that Feige does an Eternals movie without tying it to the X-Men when that's the entire origin when Kirby created them.  The Celestials and Eternals were Kirby's ret-con to explain how evolution could ever lead to superpowers in mutants.