• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 11/1/2021 at 9:24 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

And that's a sad state of affairs in this day and age, but I suppose the reality.

How about when Wonder Woman (2017) received so much ugly protests because the lead actress was from Israel so Arabic countries banned it? Or with more patriarchal countries regional critics talked the film down because it was a female lead? It actually cost the film millions compared to other superhero films.

WW_Patriarch211101.thumb.PNG.6fc78a3ce229b3b53290afc7f758b2e8.PNG

WW_Patriarch211101b.PNG.629ad8aaff5bfb5e15865fb83087f2cb.PNG

Russian critics went out of their way to talk this film down to the point it got ugly.

On 11/1/2021 at 9:50 AM, Bosco685 said:

How about when Wonder Woman (2017) received so much ugly protests because the lead actress was from Israel so Arabic countries banned it? Or with more patriarchal countries regional critics talked the film down because it was a female lead? It actually cost the film millions compared to other superhero films.

WW_Patriarch211101.thumb.PNG.6fc78a3ce229b3b53290afc7f758b2e8.PNG

WW_Patriarch211101b.PNG.629ad8aaff5bfb5e15865fb83087f2cb.PNG

Russian critics went out of their way to talk this film down to the point it got ugly.

Arabic folks have also been in a blood war with the Jews since Exodus, so I kinda expect that.

I kinda expect more from America, once called the great melting pot. But I guess even though we are a country with the word "freedom" in our Constitution, the country was still, in part, built upon displacing Native Americans to tornado land and forcing African Americans to work for food shelter and life, so I guess it's kinda in our country's DNA. I get sad every time I see a cellphone video of some lady in Wal Mart telling a Hispanic looking person to go back to their country. At least we have laws that allow gay marriage in some states rather than laws that permit throwing gay people from the tops of buildings. The Civil Rights movement wasn't a complete lost cause.

On 11/1/2021 at 10:15 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Arabic folks have also been in a blood war with the Jews since Exodus, so I kinda expect that.

I kinda expect more from America, once called the great melting pot. But I guess even though we are a country with the word "freedom" in our Constitution, the country was still, in part, built upon displacing Native Americans to tornado land and forcing African Americans to work for food shelter and life, so I guess it's kinda in our country's DNA. I get sad every time I see a cellphone video of some lady in Wal Mart telling a Hispanic looking person to go back to their country. At least we have laws that allow gay marriage in some states rather than laws that permit throwing gay people from the tops of buildings. The Civil Rights movement wasn't a complete lost cause.

I recognize you have convinced yourself if anyone indicates displeasure with an MCU film then they must be a racists or a misogynist. I'm not going to even attempt to sway you from that ideology.

But there are top critics and even random critics that are minorities and females indicating they didn't completely care for the Eternals approach. Not that they hated it. But more they didn't care for the approach. That's their main concern I believe. Or am I wrong?

On 11/1/2021 at 10:28 AM, Bosco685 said:

...minorities and females indicating they didn't completely care for the Eternals approach. Not that they hated it. But more they didn't care for the approach. That's their main concern I believe. Or am I wrong?

That's what Silver calls a "race traitor". :flamed:

On 11/1/2021 at 10:28 AM, Bosco685 said:

I recognize you have convinced yourself if anyone indicates displeasure with an MCU film then they must be a racists or a misogynist. I'm not going to even attempt to sway you from that ideology.

But there are top critics and even random critics that are minorities and females indicating they didn't completely care for the Eternals approach. Not that they hated it. But more they didn't care for the approach. That's their main concern I believe. Or am I wrong?

Never did I say that the "rotten" reviews comprising the mixed reviews of Eternals on RT were composed of racist or misogynist attacks. First, I said RT was labeling a few "rotten" reviews I thought were actually "fresh" after reading the review, thus throwing the score off by a few percentage points. I also noted one review in particular from a known conservative critic faulted the movie for its "wokeness" which I mocked that RT approved a review of that nature. After that, I don't exactly remember how the convo got on the racism bus, but still, I'm not accusing the Eternals mixed review lot on RT to be racist or misogynist attacks on Eternals. 

Edited by @therealsilvermane

When I'm referring to haters and naysayers etc regarding Eternals (or Black Panther, Shang-Chi etc), I'm not referring to the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm talking about social media, troll YouTubers, other pundits, and folks in the general public i.e. the close associate I had a convo with about Black Panther who says the same stuff a lot of other haters and naysayers say about these Marvel movies that dare to solo feature anyone but a white straight male as if the haters and naysayers all got the same memo talking point in an email or something.

On 11/1/2021 at 11:16 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Never did I say that the "rotten" reviews comprising the mixed reviews of Eternals on RT were composed of racist or misogynist attacks. First, I said RT was labeling a few "rotten" reviews I thought were actually "fresh" after reading the review, thus throwing the score off by a few percentage points. I also noted one interview in particular from a known conservative critic faulted the movie for its "wokeness" which I mocked that RT approved a review of that nature. After that, I don't exactly remember how the convo got on the racism bus, but still, I'm not accusing the Eternals mixed review lot on RT to be racist or misogynist attacks on Eternals. 

So why again are you saying critics are attacking the diversity in this film? Hamster love?

On 11/1/2021 at 7:46 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

John Campea, shameless Marvel Studios shill/ secret Disney employee/ alien plant from the planet C-53, says he really really liked Eternals. Loved it even. But was he still disappointed? He does say he was disappointed because he went into the movie expecting to see something that could vie for Best Picture at the Academy Awards this year and he doesn't think this movie is that at all.

lol He went in expecting Best Picture candidate from a comic movie. :roflmao:

Many people would assume that any Marvel Studios would be prepped for sequel status but Marvel producer Nate Moore says their upcoming release of Eternals doesn’t necessarily require a sequel.

While speaking with “The Toronto Sun“, Moore spoke of the prospects of an Eternals sequel and he said while it’s not out of question, it’s not something that is 100% guaranteed:

“It’s not something that is a must-have. Obviously, we have ideas of where we could go, but there isn’t a hard and fast rule where we have to have three of these things and this is the first.”

On 11/1/2021 at 11:28 AM, Bosco685 said:

So why again are you saying critics are attacking the diversity in this film? Hamster love?

I said one RT critic is, Hollywood in Toto, and I faulted RT for including it as a review as it's practically an automatic rotten review. The general hate towards Eternals I talked about is from social media, YouTubers, and the general public.

On 11/1/2021 at 11:28 AM, kimik said:

lol He went in expecting Best Picture candidate from a comic movie. :roflmao:

It was actually chatted about online that Eternals, like Black Panther or Joker, might be a Best Picture candidate.

And it still might be. Joker got  a 68% RT score and was still nominated for Best Picture.

On 11/1/2021 at 11:41 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

I said one RT critic is, Hollywood in Toto, and I faulted RT for including it as a review as it's practically an automatic rotten review. The general hate towards Eternals I talked about is from social media, YouTubers, and the general public.

So the general public now hates Eternals? I don't think the majority hate anything. They are voicing their opinions on the film.

Eternals_RT.PNG.f3ecf03beecfb3618f1010dec59aad39.PNG

And let's not kid ourselves. It has already been stated here a number of times. At this point, folks will blindly go into these movies no matter what the reviews because Marvel Studios has historically met their needs. None of this will sway them either way.

On 11/1/2021 at 12:00 PM, Bosco685 said:

So the general public now hates Eternals? I don't think the majority hate anything. They are voicing their opinions on the film.

I also didn't say a majority of the general public hate Eternals and didn't mean that. I guess I need to be more specific in my language. But there is a large faction of folks who are opposed to what Eternals represents. The movie has already been troll bombed on IMDb with hundreds of 1 star user reviews. The usual hater YouTube videos are up. The hate is there and as I said, it's large. The low RT score is now just giving them more ammo to work with. I'm just waiting for the "go woke, go broke" chants to start up.

On 11/1/2021 at 12:09 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I also didn't say a majority of the general public hate Eternals and didn't mean that.

Well I think you should have a conversation with this fellow.

On 11/1/2021 at 11:41 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

The general hate towards Eternals I talked about is from social media, YouTubers, and the general public.

:baiting:

On 11/1/2021 at 12:09 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I guess I need to be more specific in my language. But there is a large faction of folks who are opposed to what Eternals represents. The movie has already been troll bombed on IMDb with hundreds of 1 star user reviews. The usual hater YouTube videos are up. The hate is there and as I said, it's large. The low RT score is now just giving them more ammo to work with. I'm just waiting for the "go woke, go broke" chants to start up.

What are you assuming the hate theme is focused on with Eternals?

On 11/1/2021 at 12:27 PM, Bosco685 said:

Well I think you should have a conversation with this fellow.

:baiting:

What are you assuming the hate theme is focused on with Eternals?

Hollywood in Toto did us the favor of listing them out in his RT review:

1341371828_eternalstotoclip.thumb.JPG.c0ec1883abd3cf116ee2957e193505e7.JPG

The reviewer, having seen the film, does add that these "bona fides" are just mild "distractions" at best (with the connotation that they did bother him) and goes on to complain about the movie's story. But for the faction of haters who have not seen the movie, "the film's woke bona fides" are the theme the haters are focused on. 

On 11/1/2021 at 9:46 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

He does say he was disappointed because he went into the movie expecting to see something that could vie for Best Picture at the Academy Awards this year and he doesn't think this movie is that at all.

What the heck would make him think that--just because Chloe Zhao directed it?  It's a sci-fi superhero movie of a concept that even comics fans were at best lukewarm on.  That's nowhere near the usual high art the Academy votes for so his expectations were more than too lofty.

On 11/1/2021 at 1:01 PM, fantastic_four said:

What the heck would make him think that--just because Chloe Zhao directed it?  It's a sci-fi superhero movie of a concept that even comics fans were at best lukewarm on.  That's nowhere near the usual high art the Academy votes for so his expectations were more than too lofty.

It was actually chatted about online and other places that Eternals, like Black Panther or WB's Joker, might be another comic book movie Best Picture candidate for Marvel.