• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 10/31/2021 at 9:08 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Nah, I take note of it because Eternals' RT score is like headline news right now. I don't think I've seen this much chatter about an RT score since the Captain Marvel RT debacle. 

If you limit your view like that. Or did you forget about Star Wars: Rise of the Skywalker (12/20/2019) which came out after Captain Marvel (3/4/2019)?

On 10/31/2021 at 1:51 PM, drotto said:

So lower level critics are more likely to be in Disney's pocket?

Some in the Rotten Tomatoes thread assumed so. But who they are, it's a guess.

johncampea01.thumb.PNG.15168ba620292b2a5aaa809fe5b51258.PNG

"Aquaman is about to get his :censored: kicked by a little lady in a blue hat!"

(:

On 10/31/2021 at 2:51 PM, Bosco685 said:

Some in the Rotten Tomatoes thread assumed so. But who they are, it's a guess.

johncampea01.thumb.PNG.15168ba620292b2a5aaa809fe5b51258.PNG

"Aquaman is about to get his :censored: kicked by a little lady in a blue hat!"

(:

Ah, king of the shi..............................  I mean never heard of him.

New mystery, could this be slivers true identify?  (it a joke, I have no idea, or do I).

Edited by drotto

On 10/31/2021 at 3:02 PM, drotto said:

Ah, king of the shi..............................  I mean never heard of him.

New mystery, could this be slivers true identify?  (it a joke, I have no idea, or do I).

I would have to...

[checks my Disney notes]

checks_notes.gif.41c5c399a8c21afb0c90d7f8027ca41c.gif

... just chalk it up to being an excited yet valued fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which has conquered theaters since 2008...

[insert standard marketing blurbs to indicate perfection and dominance]

My_Disney01.gif.13e4772780caf9c7b4dc2e8f703c14ec.gif

Edited by Bosco685

On 10/31/2021 at 4:03 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Somebody told me RT is 25% owned by Warner Media and 75% owned by NBC-Universal.

It is led by a former Disney senior executive with strong ties to the company who has to account for 75% revenue coming from theater ticket sales.

But somebody told me that in a small circle. :ohnoez:

On 10/31/2021 at 4:26 PM, Bosco685 said:

It is led by a former Disney senior executive with strong ties to the company who has to account for 75% revenue coming from theater ticket sales.

The original statement above was Disney is a major shareholder of Rotten Tomatoes, not three degrees of separation. 

On 10/31/2021 at 4:41 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

The original statement above was Disney is a major shareholder of Rotten Tomatoes, not three degrees of separation

One degree. But you hadn't taken your slippers off to count.

:baiting:

On 10/31/2021 at 4:26 PM, Bosco685 said:

My understanding is that Comcast (i.e., NBC/Universal) owns Rotten Tomatoes, with Warner Bros still retaining a minority stake.

And why do you keep on about Disney supposedly having this unique, Illuminati-like hold over critics because of proven isolated incidents from 5 years ago?

More to the point - like Disney is the only studio who tries to manipulate / sway both critical and social media opinion prior to release?

They may be the most *effective* at it, but it's hardly their exclusive purview.

Examples include:

1) the proliferation of Fast 9 Vin Diesel "family" memes on social earlier this summer - absolutely studio driven.

2) Rotten Tomatoes deliberately withholding the critics score for Justice League until the last moment, because they knew it was a turd. Absolutely driven by RT minority owner Warner Bros.

On 10/31/2021 at 4:55 PM, Gatsby77 said:

My understanding is that Comcast (i.e., NBC/Universal) owns Rotten Tomatoes, with Warner Bros still retaining a minority stake.

And why do you keep on about Disney supposedly having this unique, Illuminati-like hold over critics because of proven isolated incidents from 5 years ago?

More to the point - like Disney is the only studio who tries to manipulate / sway both critical and social media opinion prior to release?

They may be the most *effective* at it, but it's hardly their exclusive purview.

With your 'counterpoint I had noted THE STUDIOS were using sources like social media influencers to deliver their message. You may have missed that in your quest to spread your views Disney is clean - all others are the bad ones.

On 10/31/2021 at 12:04 PM, Bosco685 said:

You say 'counterpoint'. I say 'in addition to' as there is no way just adding more reviewers that are not professional critics is the problem in and of itself. And also remember the studios are actively using some of those influencers to deliver their messages.

EXAMPLE: Aquaman (Domestic Release: 12/21/2018) vs. Mary Poppins Returns (Domestic Release: 11/29/2018).

The rumor was that Disney wanted Aquaman moved out from cutting off Mary Poppins Returns having weeks of no competition. So the marketing campaign through these Youtube influencers (John Campea, Jodie's Corner, etc.) was how horrible a clobbering Aquaman was going to experience if it didn't move its date.

So to get WB Studios to shift from its release date, it started peppering the airwaves how Disney was going to dominate the box office for many weeks. Which if anything Aquaman shifted its date, but closer to Christmas to capture holidays traffic. How'd that go? :popcorn:

Meanwhile, Fandango led by the former senior executive in charge of Disney.com and Disney Merchandising with strong ties to Disney has P&L accountability for ticket sales revenue (rumored to be 75% of its revenue) has gotten caught a few times manipulating movie rating systems (FiveThirtyEight analysis finds inflated, rounded-up reviews at Fandango). To the point it was fined and during its Rotten Tomatoes acquisition the market was concerned how it would influence the aggregator (Fandango Buys Rotten Tomatoes But Will Probably Ruin It).

So no, not just these newer reviewers causing the large uptick in movie ratings. It's a combination of them and other drastic influences.

On these...

Examples include:

1) the proliferation of Fast 9 Vin Diesel "family" memes on social earlier this summer - absolutely studio driven.

2) Rotten Tomatoes deliberately withholding the critics score for Justice League until the last moment, because they knew it was a turd. Absolutely driven by RT minority owner Warner Bros.

Prove it! Show me evidence that the studio planted F9 family memes. I want to see that (as do others).

:popcorn:

Really Rotten Tomatoes? You gonna go ahead and throw in a "rotten" review of a Marvel film that features diversity from an admitted Alt-Right movie reviewer who actually uses the "woke" word in his review's title? Why don't you go ahead and throw in a review from cosmicbooknews while you're at it or are you way ahead of the game on that one?

501881154_eternalsrightwingreview.thumb.JPG.284ac676c1bfdc455a8a597cd79f47d0.JPG

Examples include:

Let me see if we got your logic right.

Fandango_Ownership.thumb.PNG.c5fdb683062c65221eb7a94639761260.PNG

So in your conspiracy theory the 30% stakeholder in Fandango told the 70% stakeholder what to do - including hiding the 2017 Justice League movie was going to be a bomb so to hold off on releasing its RT score?

30% told 70% what to do - something mathematically and even corporate governance-wise would never allow this to happen. Especially if regulators found out how publically traded companies (WB does roll under AT&T) were manipulating the market.

Do you understand how that wouldn't happen?

On 10/31/2021 at 5:08 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Really Rotten Tomatoes? You gonna go ahead and throw in a "rotten" review of a Marvel film that features diversity from an admitted Alt-Right movie reviewer who actually uses the "woke" word in his review's title? Why don't you go ahead and throw in a review from cosmicbooknews while you're at it or are you way ahead of the game on that one?

501881154_eternalsrightwingreview.thumb.JPG.284ac676c1bfdc455a8a597cd79f47d0.JPG

This balances out Campea being listed as an approved reviewer.

This is just an opinion, but I do not think anyone would be surprised if companies buy both critical reviews from pros, as well as employ people to do their own version of "positive" review bombing. 

On 10/31/2021 at 5:02 PM, Bosco685 said:

With your 'counterpoint I had noted THE STUDIOS were using sources like social media influencers to deliver their message. You may have missed that in your quest to spread your views Disney is clean - all others are the bad ones.

On these...

Prove it! Show me evidence that the studio planted F9 family memes. I want to see that (as do others).

:popcorn:

Umm...How about common sense, and the fact that I've worked in PR for 20+ years?

Can't prove the agency that did the work (which means they're doing their job - typically if their name appears in the press, the jig is up), but as of this summer, NBCUniversal employed at least 40 different PR and marketing agencies, the bulk of which specialize in digital, social media and "guerilla" campaigns.

Neither it nor Comcast has a publicly official "Agency of Record" listed (used to be Edelman; but that's not been true for 3-4 years now).

Interestingly, a quick Google search reveals that one of the (several) social media / guerilla marketing agencies employed to promote Fast 6 was 10 Squared.

On 10/31/2021 at 6:03 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Umm...How about common sense, and the fact that I've worked in PR for 20+ years?

Can't prove the agency that did the work (which means they're doing their job - typically if their name appears in the press, the jig is up), but as of this summer, NBCUniversal employed at least 40 different PR and marketing agencies, the bulk of which specialize in digital, social media and "guerilla" campaigns.

Neither it nor Comcast has a publicly official "Agency of Record" listed (used to be Edelman; but that's not been true for 3-4 years now).

Interestingly, a quick Google search reveals that one of the (several) social media / guerilla marketing agencies employed to promote Fast 6 was 10 Squared.

So when you attempt to discredit a concern with Disney's strong-arming of a major reporting source (The Los Angeles Times) that was fake and outdated anyway. Because you worked in theater contracting for 3 years.

When you attempt to blow off how Disney has also engaged in consumer marketing manipulation, that's fake too because of your PR 20 (+) years of experience.

Waiting for discounting of any research because of your years of being part of the Matlock Legal Fan Club - entertainment industry division.

Meanwhile, evidence has been presented to you. Your accusation Sony flooded the market with fake F9 'family' posters is based on 'how about common sense'?

I serve your 'ummm' back with a plate of 'get a clue'. (: