• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Meanwhile, entertainment media continues to overlook Gemma Chan playing the role of Sersi, the only Eternal to ever be an Avenger.

As teasers and trailers start flowing out, along with the rest of the P&A campaigns, I bet you'll see much more details make their way to general audiences.

I never read Eternals--and I'm not alone, the series didn't do well.  But just that 6-page story from What If? I posted yesterday has me excited for a movie I had no interest in yesterday morning.

The main thing I don't get yet from just that intro story is why Kirby focused on the Eternals more than the Celestials, because I'm 10x more interested in the Celestials--their history, why they're artificially evolving life throughout the galaxy and/or universe, why they release their test subjects (the Deviants) to reproduce (I assume to let natural selection do its thing), etc.  I can see that there would be a rich, compelling history in both groups, but of the two the Celestials have far more power and therefore far more intrigue.

I can see that the Eternals evolving from humans is quite interesting, and I didn't realize that before.  I knew they were on Titan just from Infinity War, but they must have migrated there since they evolved from human primates.  I was wondering why they were in our solar system, but having evolved from life on Earth that suddenly makes far more sense.

Edited by fantastic_four

26 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I never read Eternals--and I'm not alone, the series didn't do well.  But just that 6-page story from What If? I posted yesterday has me excited for a movie I had no interest in yesterday morning.

The main thing I don't get yet from just that intro story is why Kirby focused on the Eternals more than the Celestials, because I'm 10x more interested in the Celestials--their history, why they're artificially evolving life throughout the galaxy and/or universe, why they release their test subjects (the Deviants) to reproduce (I assume to let natural selection do its thing), etc.  I can see that there would be a rich, compelling history in both groups, but of the two the Celestials have far more power and therefore far more intrigue.

I can see that the Eternals evolving from humans is quite interesting, and I didn't realize that before.  I knew they were on Titan just from Infinity War, but they must have migrated there since they evolved from human primates.  I was wondering why they were in our solar system, but having evolved from life on Earth that suddenly makes far more sense.

Celestials experimented on humanoid life throughout the galaxy. Titan had its own set of Eternals and Deviants. Earth had its set and were the original Eternals created by Kirby. I think Thanos and his Titan family were retconned as Eternals later. The Skrulls origin first detailed in Silver Surfer #5 (the 80's series) revealed that they descended from the Deviant experiment on their planet along with the Dire Wraiths.

5 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Titan had its own set of Eternals and Deviants

Odd.  Hard to imagine Titan has ever had anything aside from primal life.  So were the Celestials just doing their thing on every celestial body with life at any stage of evolution?  I would think they'd skip Titan.

Edited by fantastic_four

14 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Odd.  Hard to imagine Titan has ever had anything aside from primal life.  So were the Celestials just doing their thing on every celestial body with life at any stage of evolution?  I would think they'd skip Titan.

I'm wrong. The Eternals of Titan did come from Earth.

Sorry, I'm more familiar with the original Eternals as opposed to the retconning of Thanos' descendents as Eternals. I do prefer the MCU version where Thanos comes from a distant part of the galaxy and is not a distant descendent of Earth. That's one great thing about the MCU, in many ways it improves on the comics, which were full of bad science.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

55 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm wrong. The Eternals of Titan did come from Earth.

Sorry, I'm more familiar with the original Eternals as opposed to the retconning of Thanos' descendents as Eternals. I do prefer the MCU version where Thanos comes from a distant part of the galaxy and is not a distant descendent of Earth. That's one great thing about the MCU, in many ways it improves on the comics, which were full of bad science.

They've also done the complete opposite. "Perfectly balanced, as all things should be."

2 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

They've also done the complete opposite. "Perfectly balanced, as all things should be."

As far as I'm concerned, every MCU character except maybe Spider-Man has been an improvement from the comics, including Nick Fury and Captain Marvel. The MCU Tony Stark is better than the comics, The MCU Steve Rogers is better, the MCU Thor is better, the MCU Guardians of the Galaxy made the team finally worthy of our time, all better. I like to think these characters have found their ultimate perfect version in the MCU.

5 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

As far as I'm concerned, every MCU character except maybe Spider-Man has been an improvement from the comics, including Nick Fury and Captain Marvel. The MCU Tony Stark is better than the comics, The MCU Steve Rogers is better, the MCU Thor is better, the MCU Guardians of the Galaxy made the team finally worthy of our time, all better. I like to think these characters have found their ultimate perfect version in the MCU.

The characters are mostly fine, but that doesn't mean that every film has made an improvement on comic book adaptations.

*cough*Age of Ultron*cough*Civil War*cough*

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I do prefer the MCU version where Thanos comes from a distant part of the galaxy and is not a distant descendent of Earth.

In Infinity War when Strange, Stark, and Parker get to Titan Thanos tells Doctor Strange that this is his home, and then he uses the Reality stone to show Strange what life was like on Titan before his people used all of their natural resources.  Where did they say he's from a distant part of the galaxy?

16 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

In Infinity War when Strange, Stark, and Parker get to Titan Thanos tells Doctor Strange that this is his home, and then he uses the Reality stone to show Strange what life was like on Titan before his people used all of their natural resources.  Where did they say he's from a distant part of the galaxy?

In the comics, Thanos' Titan is a moon of Saturn. In the MCU, Titan is the name of a planet in another solar system. That's why Stark and Nebula are in such dire straits at the beginning of Endgame because they're not in our solar system, they're somewhere very far away, so far that it took Captain Marvel to save them.

I can't remember if it's said as such in the movie, but that is the case.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

4 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Meanwhile, entertainment media continues to overlook Gemma Chan playing the role of Sersi, the only Eternal to ever be an Avenger.

The Forgotten One/Gilgamesh was an Eternal and became an Avenger in issue 300, and stuck around for 10 issues or so ( about a year).  Sersi did not officially join the team until about issue 314/315.

So yes while Sersi was on the Avengers team longest, she wasn't the only, nor even the first Eternal to join the team.

37 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

The characters are mostly fine, but that doesn't mean that every film has made an improvement on comic book adaptations.

*cough*Age of Ultron*cough*Civil War*cough*

Yeah, Ultron wasn't an improvement, nor Baron Zemo. I meant more the heroes. Though Loki was improvement IMO. I prefer the MCU Thanos over the comics Thanos, as well.

4 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

The Forgotten One/Gilgamesh was an Eternal and became an Avenger in issue 300, and stuck around for 10 issues or so ( about a year).  Sersi did not officially join the team until about issue 314/315.

So yes while Sersi was on the Avengers team longest, she wasn't the only, nor even the first Eternal to join the team.

Still, Sersi is arguably the star of the Eternals I think with Ikaris a close second. Once everyone found out that that Angelina Jolie was going to be another character, it was like Sersi who?

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

In the comics, Thanos' Titan is a moon of Saturn. In the MCU, Titan is the name of a planet in another solar system.

From what I can tell for now (without assuming the sources I'm double-checking with aren't also assuming too much), that's right.  And for now that seems like bullsnot.  ???  If they were going to move what any scientifically-inclined mind watching the film would recognize as Titan to another solar system...why didn't they just change the damn name to something not named the same as something within our solar system?  :mad:

And it's not like it's just random moon with no currently-recognized chance of life, it's one of two or three PRIME candidates for life viewers would be likely to recognize.  :mad:

Edited by fantastic_four

23 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Still, Sersi is arguably the star of the Eternals I think with Ikaris a close second. Once everyone found out that that Angelina Jolie was going to be another character, it was like Sersi who?

I would agree that the Eternal Sersi is more well known to comic fans.  However for the majority of people (and even comic fans) the Eternals are not all that well known.  They have always kind of just been "out there" on the edges.  So yes, it makes sense that people grab onto Jolie because she is a big name in an otherwise "unkown" property.