• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Angel of Death said:

I've seen people who won awards stumble within the MCU. hm

Let's keep our expectations lukewarm.

Yeah - but you also thought WandaVision was "boring."

I don't see how it's anything but good news for comics fans that the director of the finished Eternals film just won Best Director and Best Picture.

Edited by Gatsby77

34 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I don't see how it's anything but good news for comics fans that the director of the finished Eternals film just won Best Director and Best Picture.

It is. (shrug)

Sure, it's "good news" for that particular movie. It's not the same as directing a comic book film, though.

40 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

it wasn't Hack Snyder :cry:

Edited by paperheart

2 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

It is. (shrug)

Sure, it's "good news" for that particular movie. It's not the same as directing a comic book film, though.

?

No, it's not. But there's a decent track record of indy filmmakers successfully making the leap to comic book movies.

Jon Watts went from Cop Car to Spider-Man: Homecoming, and that film was less complex or involved as Nomadland. And following his Spidey trilogy, he's on deck for the MCU FF film.

Theatrically, Patty Jenkins went from Monster - a similarly lauded indie in 2003 -- and didn't make another film until Wonder Woman (2017). Yes - she was also slated for Thor 2 at one point, but neither is remotely similar to Monster.

Taika Waititi? What We Do In the Shadows --> Thor: Ragnarok (and Love and Thunder).

Even James Gunn: Slither and Super to Guardians of the Galaxy? That's absurd. And he cast the funny guy from Parks and Rec to boot?

10 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

?

No, it's not. But there's a decent track record of indy filmmakers successfully making the leap to comic book movies.

Jon Watts went from Cop Car to Spider-Man: Homecoming, and that film was less complex or involved as Nomadland. And following his Spidey trilogy, he's on deck for the MCU FF film.

Theatrically, Patty Jenkins went from Monster - a similarly lauded indie in 2003 -- and didn't make another film until Wonder Woman (2017). Yes - she was also slated for Thor 2 at one point, but neither is remotely similar to Monster.

Taika Waititi? What We Do In the Shadows --> Thor: Ragnarok (and Love and Thunder).

Even James Gunn: Slither and Super to Guardians of the Galaxy? That's absurd. And he cast the funny guy from Parks and Rec to boot?

Yes, it is.

None of these examples guarantee that The Eternals will exceed any minimum expectations. Certain award-winning actresses have been planks in comic book movies. Winning an award for 1 thing does not mean that by default you will succeed in your next venture.

21 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Yes, it is.

None of these examples guarantee that The Eternals will exceed any minimum expectations. Certain award-winning actresses have been planks in comic book movies. Winning an award for 1 thing does not mean that by default you will succeed in your next venture.

+1

See Ang Lee for further evidence that an Academy Award and directing a comic-book movie doesn't always equal success.

Edited by sagekilz

31 minutes ago, paperheart said:

before it imploded, the DCEU was happy to pick up the MCU's sloppy seconds: Jenkins, Whedon, Gunn

@skypinkblu 

Just want to check. Is this the same individual CCGmod1 (whatever the mystery handle of the moment is) just accused me of being contentious with that makes it a regular disruptive event concerning non-MCU productions? I just want to check on the even-handed moderation around here that seems to lean in to protecting certain members more than others.

This individual has done this for years and yet I have seen his actions protected. And you want to call other people contentious?

Edited by Bosco685

Here's what I'll say about directors who win awards and then taking on a super hero movie.

If the director is any good, they should be able to direct almost anything. If they have the vision and the means, the plot/story won't limit them.

The only limit that will have an impact will be what the studio wants. If it's different than the idea, then it's doomed to fail.

a great director may have never won an award (too many to name) and a winning director may not necessarily be good/great.

Just now, jsilverjanet said:

Here's what I'll say about directors who win awards and then taking on a super hero movie.

If the director is any good, they should be able to direct almost anything. If they have the vision and the means, the plot/story won't limit them.

The only limit that will have an impact will be what the studio wants. If it's different than the idea, then it's doomed to fail.

a great director may have never won an award (too many to name) and a winning director may not necessarily be good/great.

the bigger question I have is, why would a creative talent like this be interested in a super hero movie hm 

“Today, I demand that a film express either the joy of making cinema or the agony of making cinema. I am not at all interested in anything in between; I am not interested in all those films that do not pulse.”
 Francois Truffaut, The Films in My Life

3 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

the bigger question I have is, why would a creative talent like this be interested in a super hero movie hm 

My thought? A bigger canvas, more toys, and more clout for passion projects. 

Sam Raimi’s genius was evident with Evil Dead 2, and I think Spider-Man 2 still holds up as one of the best superhero movies, period.

Hell - he was basically slumming it when he made The Quick and the Dead, and there’s a scene there that puts Gene Hackman, Leonardo DiCaprio, Russell Crowe and Sharon Stone on screen in the same frame!

And I guarantee you clout from Ragnarok gave Taika Waititi the ability to finance Jojo Rabbit.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

My thought? A bigger canvas, more toys, and more clout for passion projects. 

Sam Raimi’s genius was evident with Evil Dead 2, and I think Spider-Man 2 still holds up as one of the best superhero movies, period.

Hell - he was basically slumming it when he made The Quick and the Dead, and there’s a scene there that puts Gene Hackman, Leonardo DiCaprio, Russell Crowe and Sharon Stone on screen in the same frame!

And I guarantee you clout from Ragnarok gave Taika Waititi the ability to finance Jojo Rabbit.

So the 26 film award nominations and 18 wins for What We Do In The Shadows and 24 film award nominations leading to 20 awards for Hunt for the Wilderpeople were supplanted by Thor: Ragnarok for Fox to support Jojo Rabbit?

I'm just trying to follow the logic.

Edited by Bosco685
Excuse me - What We Do In The Shadows was higher than I remembered

27 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

So the 26 film award nominations and 18 wins for What We Do In The Shadows and 24 film award nominations leading to 20 awards for Hunt for the Wilderpeople were supplanted by Thor: Ragnarok for Fox to support Jojo Rabbit?

I'm just trying to follow the logic.

Umm...yes.

Or were you not following the controversy surrounding Jojo Rabbit pre-release (because he made Hitler sympathetic - even comical). He needed the commercial success of Thor 3 to be able to get it made - and even then had to portray Hitler himself because they legit couldn’t find anyone else to do it.

Even with all that, it remained controversial after release - never mind that Mel Brooks gave us “Springtime for Hitler” in The Producers 50+ years ago. 

Financial success - of the kind a superhero film, Bond film or Star Wars film provides - is entirely different from Indy critical acclaim in terms of convincing studios to finance a risky passion project.

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

Umm...yes.

Or were you not following the controversy surrounding Jojo Rabbit pre-release (because he made Hitler sympathetic - even comical). He needed the commercial success of Thor 3 to be able to get it made - and even then had to portray Hitler himself because they legit couldn’t find anyone else to do it.

Even with all that, it remained controversial after release - never mind that Mel Brooks gave us “Springtime for Hitler” in The Producers 50+ years ago. 

Financial success - of the kind a superhero film, Bond film or Star Wars film provides - is entirely different from Indy critical acclaim in terms of convincing studios to finance a risky passion project.

The Real Reason Taika Waititi Played The Role Of Hitler In Jojo Rabbit

During the Toronto International Film Festival Master Class in September 2018 (via IndieWire), Waititi revealed the real reason why he wanted to play the role of Hitler in his feature film. A member of the audience asked Waititi, who has Russian Jewish heritage and has described himself as "a Polynesian Jew," to explain this desire, and he gave a perfectly on-brand response: "The answer is simple: what better 'f*** you' to that guy?"

In an interview with Deadline, Waititi further discussed how he crafted this campy version of Hitler, who, in Jojo Rabbit, is depicted more so as an overgrown kid playing dress-up in Nazi regalia. Essentially, the filmmaker wanted to make fun of one of the most hated men to ever exist.

Waititi told the outlet that he "didn't do any research" and "didn't base him on anything [he'd] seen about Hitler before," since the character in Jojo Rabbit is basically a 10-year-old child's idea of who the Nazi Party figurehead is. "I just made him a version of myself that happened to have a bad haircut, and a s***** little mustache, and a mediocre German accent," he said. "It would just be too weird to play the actual Hitler, and I don't think people would enjoy the character as much. Because he was such a f******* c***, and everyone knows that as well. I think people have got to relate to really enjoy the ride."

I think this is where I post 'Ummm...yes...'

:baiting:

goon.png.f8681bcefb4483e4984ffbc7a74ca645.png