• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The DC Collection Is COMPLETE.
9 9

1,517 posts in this topic

Ian,

Being new here, I was kind of curious as to what inspired you to take on such a daunting task? Is there an interesting story behind why you chose DCs? What were some of the first big books you purchased?

(Much Belated) Congrats on the run,

Jason

Then Justice League of America, particularly the first sixty issues. It went drastically off after that.

Hi Ian!

You didn't like the move away from Sekowsky to Dillin? Or was it Gardner Fox's subsequent departure in favour of Denny O'Neil that you're thinking of?

Personally, I thought the Dillin/Sid Greene team was pretty tight. And O'Neil had a few silly stories at first, but I've always thought the book really took off beginning with the departure of J'onn J'onzz in #71. Mike Friedrich's stuff was hit & miss, but Len Wein's run beginning in #100 was pretty great. For me, the title died after Wein's departure, particularly during the long reign of Gerry Conway as scripter (also when Frank McLaughlin was inking Dillin), only interrupted by the short Steve Englehart run, and a few nice Conway/George Perez collaborations in the early 1980s.

Ian,

Being new here, I was kind of curious as to what inspired you to take on such a daunting task? Is there an interesting story behind why you chose DCs? What were some of the first big books you purchased?

Jason

I started collecting DC Comics when I was ten years old.

You didn't like the move away from Sekowsky to Dillin? Or was it Gardner Fox's subsequent departure in favour of Denny O'Neil that you're thinking of?

Personally, I thought the Dillin/Sid Greene team was pretty tight. And O'Neil had a few silly stories at first, but I've always thought the book really took off beginning with the departure of J'onn J'onzz in #71. Mike Friedrich's stuff was hit & miss, but Len Wein's run beginning in #100 was pretty great. For me, the title died after Wein's departure, particularly during the long reign of Gerry Conway as scripter (also when Frank McLaughlin was inking Dillin), only interrupted by the short Steve Englehart run, and a few nice Conway/George Perez collaborations in the early 1980s.

The first sixty were classic apart from the irrevocably dire "Man Thy Name Is Brother".

By the time number 66 came out, it had just sunk without trace, compared to "Slave Ship Of Space", "The Cosmic Fun House", and "Crisis On Earth One".

Ian,

Jason

I started collecting DC Comics when I was ten years old.

Good to see you posting and answering questions again Ian.

I'm sure you can tell there is a huge interest in your collection and the way you went about completing it. Hope you stick around for a while.

I'm sure you can tell there is a huge interest in your collection and the way you went about completing it. Hope you stick around for a while.

That depends on the trolls.

I haven't forgotten Deathlok.

That depends on the trolls.

I haven't forgotten Deathlok.

"Ignore this user" is provided for a reason! From shortly after he "greeted" my first posts, I only saw his venom when someone quoted him. He's not alone.

Jack

Theres no way that this isn't one of the greatest achievements in comics - anyone who thinks any different I'd class as a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person or just utterly consumed by jealousy (and this coming from someone who considers Ian to be somewhat far along the eccentric spectrum - and I mean that in the nicest possible way).

I also like the idea of getting restored copies - least then you can get them out once in a while and enjoy them without worrying that a bang to a corner has cost you a few thousand dollars!

In fact the only problem with the whole achievement is that within those 35,000+ glorious issues you must contend with the knowledge that you're also got an awful lot of pure unadulterated tripe stored away.

Fantastic collection, superb achievement.

Ian you don't have to repsond to me directly (we can call a truce) but how about the only known copies of the 15 cent variants for More fun #59 and Tec #43 (I believe those are the issue numbers?) Any copies of those across the pond.

I think they were made for sale in Canada. They just never interested me.

Fair enough. (thumbs u

Ian,

Good on you mate! I am also a total DC geek and starting buying DCs off the newsstands in 1963. I completed my Silver Age collection years ago and started hardcore Golden Age collecting about 10 years ago. Love Adventure covers with Starman and More Fun with Spectre and Dr. Fate. Guess everyone else does too since they are hard to find!

Congrats!

Gary

Which is your favourite/ most cherished book?

From prior posts seems JLA is your favourite run.

All Star Comics is by far my favourite run.

Then Justice League of America, particularly the first sixty issues. It went drastically off after that.

The the Inferior Five, Metal Men, Metamorpho, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, and the Legion Of Super Heroes when they were in Adventure Comics.

My most cherished comic is Double Action 2.

I'm sad it's not Buzzy #70, Ian! How's my old book doing by the way? Glad to see you posting on here, and I listened to the Metro Interview. I love to hear a fellow collector so passionate about their comics!

Theres no way that this isn't one of the greatest achievements in comics - anyone who thinks any different I'd class as a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person or just utterly consumed by jealousy

Yes, that's how it appeared when Ian would badmouth the other person who finished the entire DC collection before him - he downplayed the achievement and was consumed by jealousy.

Yes, that's how it appeared when Ian would badmouth the other person who finished the entire DC collection before him - he downplayed the achievement and was consumed by jealousy.

Sorry but I don't believe she ever did complete it. Certainly not back then, anyway.

Every obscure book I enquired about turned out to be unknown to her.

I meticulously researched to ensure none were missing.

Anyway, it never was and never has been a contest. I had a goal when I was ten that I completed forty years later.

I just wanted to say that it's great to see you posting again. :applause: I solely collect GA Actions. I can't imagine collecting every DC comic. That is certainly a major accomplishment. I hope you stick around.

Mike

Sorry but I don't believe she ever did complete it. Certainly not back then, anyway.

Anyway, it never was and never has been a contest. I had a goal when I was ten that I completed forty years later.

and I for one applaud you on that feat... I once thought about going after the same goal as you, but quickly realized I didn't have the patience...how you managed to maintain it for 40 years is impressive (thumbs u

and I for one applaud you on that feat... I once thought about going after the same goal as you, but quickly realized I didn't have the patience...how you managed to maintain it for 40 years is impressive (thumbs u

Go on and do it Rick! You could knock it out in 40 weeks :baiting:

Hmm, maybe I misunderstood the postings at the time, here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=45806&Number=848237#Post848237

Congratulations on being the 2nd person to complete this remarkable feat! What are you going to do now? Try and upgrade so that you have something closer to the quality of Christine's complete collection?

No, I am perfectly happy with them all. I have upgraded every comic I wanted to upgrade except for Girls Love 5. I had a huge list to upgrade and now there's just one comic left on it. I am more than happy with my collection. As for what I'm going to do now, I'm going to try to complete my MASSIVE HUGE ENORMOUS collection of rare DC giveaway, promo, and premium comics, NONE OF WHICH CHRISTINE HAS AT ALL !!!!! (I'd love to see her find either a Superman/Bradman comic, or a Twisted Metal comic).

And before I accept her collection as complete, I need to be sure she has both "Narrative Illustration - The History Of The Comics", and "How You Can Defend Your Home", both of which qualify as bone fide M.C.Gaines All American comics, and both of which are true DCs.

Maybe I misread this, but weren't you willing to concede she had a complete set if she had these 2?

Go on and do it Rick! You could knock it out in 40 weeks :baiting:

I doubt that lol