• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The DC Collection Is COMPLETE.
9 9

1,517 posts in this topic

I don't collect books that I don't like. I wonder how many people, when snared by the completion bug, find themselves searching for items that they really don't resonate with at all, aesthetically or nostalgically?

:shy::acclaim::sorry::tonofbricks:

... but since I am really interested in the history of the hobby, this allows me to explore areas and genres I wouldn't have given a second thought previously and at times it can lead to discover "new" and interesting artists ... but, yeah, still it happens that I have to buy a book gripping my teeth just because it fills a hole. That's the main reason why I have resisted the urge to get started on a complete run of Classics Illustrated or on a complete run of Four Color Comics so there's still hope for me :D

I spoke to Ian via PM's at his forum a couple of months ago about his collection and not posting here anymore. He says he's seriously considering selling off the collection and starting again from scratch. That's an auction I'd love to see.

I spoke to Ian via PM's at his forum a couple of months ago about his collection and not posting here anymore. He says he's seriously considering selling off the collection and starting again from scratch. That's an auction I'd love to see.

Staring over sounds a bit odd because 1) would be very expensive, and he likely have to pay a ton more for the serious issues 2) how much thrill is there in rebuying all the worthless issues again that just get slotted into the filing system? He should sell and buy up these crazy Church GA copies that keep hitting the market. :cloud9: His GA collection alone with all the rare promos and giveaways would be worth some serious coin.

Staring over sounds a bit odd because 1) would be very expensive, and he likely have to pay a ton more for the serious issues 2) how much thrill is there in rebuying all the worthless issues again that just get slotted into the filing system? He should sell and buy up these crazy Church GA copies that keep hitting the market. :cloud9: His GA collection alone with all the rare promos and giveaways would be worth some serious coin.

Yes, it sounds odd to me as well. It seems his collecting was a bit more OCD than enjoyment. I imagine he'd have to sell it off in chuncks over time as selling them all at once would probably exhaust the available cash in the hobby and he wouldn't realize maximum profits.

I hope he just dumps it all on craigs list at $5/book......first come first serve.

He can then become compulsive collecting baseball cards or something else.

Ditto,

besides, I must be one of the few that looks at his collection and thinks too myself, whats the big deal? (shrug)

I think its neat but really beyond the mid 1980's there is 20 years of drek that probably takes up a lot of space and likely not worth collecting unless they are in pristine condition (even then probably not). A full GA run in any grade would be cool, SA not so much unless it was mostly in decent condition.

That makes about as much sense as a platypus at a creationist convention.

So the buyer of his collection could just slowly sell him back the same books Ian just sold off? Maybe even hold back a couple of the rare issues.....

Or would he change over to platinum books and tell everyone that Obadiah was the first comic character?

Ditto,

besides, I must be one of the few that looks at his collection and thinks too myself, whats the big deal? (shrug)

DC hater.

Wrong :makepoint:

I have DCs in my collection and love as much as their Marvel counterparts :grin:

Ditto,

DC hater.

I have DCs in my collection and love as much as their Marvel counterparts :grin:

I have a token DC or two.

Ditto,

DC hater.

I have a token DC or two.

Me too! ;)

I actually own more Marvels than DC though the quality is now lower (SA and BA X-Men).

Used to own all the Marvel SA keys (except X-Men #1) in 5.5 to 8.0 but sold them all a while back to feed my GA addiction. (thumbs u

I'm still trying to figure out how one looks at someone who's collected every DC comic ever published and say that's not a "big deal."

I mean, seriously, wtf? Action 1-up, Adventure 1-up, Detective 1-up, Batman 1-up, Superman 1-up, More Fun 1-up, Flash 1-up, every Sensation, Star-Spangled, G.I. Combat (post Quality, that is), All-Star...Full runs of all the obscure books that DC's published over the years like Buzzy, Fox and Crow, Mr. District Attorney, Sugar and Spike...full runs of long-running second-tier titles like Strange Adventures, Mystery in Space, House of Mystery, Showcase, My Greatest Adventure, House of Secrets, World's Finest, Superboy...

I can't think of a bigger deal in collecting than that, barring all the above in HG (fine/vf and better)

I'm still trying to figure out how one looks at someone who's collected every DC comic ever published and say that's not a "big deal."

I mean, seriously, wtf? Action 1-up, Adventure 1-up, Detective 1-up, Batman 1-up, Superman 1-up, More Fun 1-up, Flash 1-up, every Sensation, Star-Spangled, G.I. Combat (post Quality, that is), All-Star...Full runs of all the obscure books that DC's published over the years like Buzzy, Fox and Crow, Mr. District Attorney, Sugar and Spike...full runs of long-running second-tier titles like Strange Adventures, Mystery in Space, House of Mystery, Showcase, My Greatest Adventure, House of Secrets, World's Finest, Superboy...

I can't think of a bigger deal in collecting than that, barring all the above in HG (fine/vf and better)

I think it's a big deal.

"I don't know how to tell you this, but I'm kind of a big deal...people know me...I have every DC comic ever printed."

:whatev: