• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 Annual March Madness CGC Grading Tournament - Seeding Round
8 8

339 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, sckao said:

That's your Seeding Round Score based on how well you do grading the 10 books at the beginning of this thread.

We use Wins and Losses to approximate the NCAA March Madness tournament teams' overall record used for SEEDING.

Seeds are ranked from 1 to 16 with Top Seeds playing lower seeds just like the basketball tournament.

I asked this last year but I keep forgetting

what does the 12 signify?  The 8?  The 6?

I think you mean..  12 SEED. Or Seeded 12th.

That means if you were ranked in strength from 1 to 16, you would be considered 12th in strength. 12 Seeds are paired against 5 Seeds. 1 Seeds are paired against the weakest 16 Seeds.

See how that works?

1-16

2-15

3-14

4-13

5-12

6-11

7-10

8-9

Edited by sckao

2 minutes ago, sckao said:

I think you mean..  12 SEED. Or Seeded 12th.

That means if you were ranked in strength from 1 to 16, you would be considered 12th in strength. 12 Seeds are paired against 5 Seeds. 1 Seeds are paired against the weakest 16 Seeds.

See how that works?

1-16

2-15

3-14

4-13

5-12

6-11

7-10

8-9

I'm sorry I'm also bad with directions.  I still dont understand does it mean I was ranked 12, am up against an 8, and 6 something??

6 minutes ago, kav said:

I'm sorry I'm also bad with directions.  I still dont understand does it mean I was ranked 12, am up against an 8, and 6 something??

Yes. If you were a 12 SEED, you were initially paired with a 5 SEED and were an UNDERDOG. You were not expected to win normally. (I just looked and you were a 6 SEED actually.)

Edited by sckao

Yes. If you were a 12 SEED, you were initially paired with a 5 SEED and were an UNDERDOG. You were not expected to win normally. 

what is the 8 and the 6 then??

Okay... You were KAV 12-8, 6 SEED.

You had 12 WINS - 8 LOSSES. That ranked you a 6 SEED in comparison to the other players,

You were then paired with an 11 SEED. You were the FAVORITE to win based on your RECORD though. (But that's why upsets happen.)

REMEMBER that this all starts with everyone grading TEN BOOKS. THAT DETERMINES YOUR WINS AND LOSSES.

Edited by sckao

Okay... You were KAV 12-8, 6 SEED.

You had 12 WINS - 8 LOSSES. That ranked you a 6 SEED in comparison to the other players,

You were then paired with an 11 SEED. You were the FAVORITE to win based on your RECORD though. (But that's why upsets happen.)

THANK YOU!!!  I am going topaste to my files so I never have to ask again!  (I get lost going to the same place I have driven to many times!!!)

13 minutes ago, kav said:

So my actual score was only 4-but was considered a decent score.  

No.. Your score was 12 - 8. That means you got 4 books TOTALLY WRONG (or more) (-2 per loss). The remaining books you got a total of 12 wins... Which for 6 books isn't too bad. You averaged 2 wins per book.

Actually, it's a combination... so you probably got a bullseye or two, etc.  Sorry.. We'd have to look at your actual guesses/score to tell you how you did. That bracket was an early bracket and may not even be correct. We had some technical difficulties early last year so that may be an earlier version.

Spot on= 3 wins
Within .5= 2 wins
Not within .5 = 1 loss
Not within 1= 2 losses

Bonus= The third spot on grade will be granted 1 bonus win, fourth= 2 bonus wins, fifth through tenth= 3 bonus wins.

Edited by sckao

4 minutes ago, sckao said:

No.. Your score was 12 - 8. That means you got 4 books TOTALLY WRONG (-2 off at least). The remaining books you got a total of 12 wins... Which for 6 books isn't too bad. You averaged 2 wins per book.

-pasted to file.

21 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 3/7/2019 at 4:02 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 3/7/2019 at 4:40 AM, Point Five said:

Yep! The first round ends Sunday.

Well, about that...

I subbed two batches of books: Moderns and Economy.  Received by CGC on 12/28.  The Moderns came back super quickly.

The Economy sub moved to "Scheduled for Grading" on March 1st.  And it's still there. 

So we may be waiting for CGC to get these out the door to get grades.

Just a reminder that we're waiting on CGC for grades on the pre-1975 books.  Pre-1975 books have been sitting at "Scheduled for Grading" since March 1st. 

:bump:

LOL.... Okay, I found it. (I think)

KAV 12-8

BK 1, 1 LOSS
BK 2, BULLSEYE, 3 WINS
BK 3, 2 WINS
BK 4, 1 LOSS
BK 5, BULLSEYE, 3 WINS
BK 6, 1 LOSS
BK 7, 2 LOSSES
BK 8, 1 LOSS
BK 9, BULLSEYE 3 WINS