• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Though since we are dealing with the Multiverse, what if James McAvoy shows up as Xavier? A young Charles just as confused as her to be there.

I've hated multiverses since 1985 when DC did Crisis on Infinite Earths.  I heard over a decade later about Marvel also hatching Earth-616 in the mid-80s, but I wasn't reading anything they referenced it in so I had no idea at the time.

Does anyone like the idea of keeping track of multiverses, i.e. different versions of the same characters?  Scientifically it irritates the hell out of me...in most of the infinite iterations of any Earth the same life forms, i.e. Kal-El, Wanda, Xavier, or whoever, wouldn't even exist.  So this idea of hopping universes where they're EXTREMELY similar to each other makes narrative sense but virtually no logical sense, or at best, highly-contrived sense.  It usually seems extremely lazy, and it felt that way to me even as a young teenager in the mid-80s.

I've experienced exactly one multiverse I've enjoyed--the Age of Apocalypse.  Seeing David Haller go back and accidentally wipe himself out of existence was fun, as was the ripple of changes to mutants after he did it.

Back to the topic at hand...let's say they do introduce the Fox mutantverse as a part of an MCU multiverse.  How do you do that without it seeming EXTREMELY contrived and cheesy?  ???

Edited by fantastic_four

14 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Or we can all just admit that Elizabeth Olsen kind of spoiled Dr Strange showing up in the last episode?

Wasn't that already spoiled?  I had definitely already heard that before, but I don't know the source.

25 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:
40 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Or we can all just admit that Elizabeth Olsen kind of spoiled Dr Strange showing up in the last episode?

Wasn't that already spoiled?  I had definitely already heard that before, but I don't know the source.

I spent a few minutes Googling this and could find no specific source, so perhaps people have just been speculating it based upon available information.  We know for sure Wanda is in Multiverse of Madness, and we know that the end of Wandavision leads to that film, so the idea of Doctor Strange appearing in Wandavision seems entirely logical--even if it's just in one of those post-credits scenes at the end of the last episode.

So I wouldn't liken any appearance of Doctor Strange to Luke showing up in Mandalorian.  There was NO hint he would show up from Lucasfilm or from anything shown in the series.  We knew some Jedi was coming, but had I been betting I would have put my money on Ezra Bridger being the one who showed up even though Luke made far more sense since we already knew from Force Awakens that Luke was starting a school for Jedi around the timeframe of the show.

Either Ezra or Luke is FAR more of a surprise reveal than Strange would be given the link we already know between Wandavision and Multiverse of Madness.  I'm guessing she means someone else, most likely one of the characters we've been hypothesizing.

Perhaps the CI that Agent Woo spoke of will be the same person Olsen is referring to. And Bettany as well when he said major actor coming up that he shares scenes with for the first time. Bettany said the last episodes go full action MCU, or something like that. So we could have a not_in_tune_with_social_norms crazy last episode with magneto and then Strange but I would prefer something smaller to fit the tone of the show. But Monica needs to come out of this changed and on her way to CM/Photon. :sumo:

Possible big reveals and how I would rank them on an awesomeness scale...

1. Magneto (means mutants are here)

2. Professor X (see above)

3. Mephisto (the next big baddie, at least for the mystic Marvelites)

4. Ultron (and the point of him returning would be....???)

5. Quicksilver (see above...yawn)

I am fine with seeing Quicksilver as part of her "reality" but to bring him back completely? Meh...I don't care about him at all. Don't undo deaths MCU unless greatness can come of the undoing. And that rarely happens.

I suppose there are other reveals that could be huge like some villain we have not thought of (at least not in relation to this show). 

24 minutes ago, Bird said:

Perhaps the CI that Agent Woo spoke of will be the same person Olsen is referring to. And Bettany as well when he said major actor coming up that he shares scenes with for the first time. Bettany said the last episodes go full action MCU, or something like that. So we could have a not_in_tune_with_social_norms crazy last episode with magneto and then Strange but I would prefer something smaller to fit the tone of the show. But Monica needs to come out of this changed and on her way to CM/Photon. :sumo:

Good point! They wouldn't make that mention without it tying back to something in the story. :popcorn:

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Good point! They wouldn't make that mention without it tying back to something in the story. :popcorn:

Any speculation on who that would be?  We know Ant-Man was in his charge previously, so it may be another superhero.  What were the clues in the episode?  I think I need to go listen to the exact words he used, but my memory is telling me he had gone there looking for that person.  Monica asked if the person was in witness protection, and I don't recall his response--was it "something like that"?  Did he give ANY useful information to identify the person?  Which known character would be in "something" like witness protection?

Ant-Man had cut a deal for violating the Sokovia accords.  Didn't some other heroes also cut that deal?  I forget who else was in that same situation.

Edited by fantastic_four

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Any speculation on who that would be?  We know Ant-Man was in his charge previously, so it may be another superhero.  What were the clues in the episode?  I think I need to go listen to the exact words he used, but my memory is telling me he had gone there looking for that person.  Monica asked if the person was in witness protection, and I don't recall his response--was it "something like that"?  Did he give ANY useful information to identify the person?  Which known character would be in "something" like witness protection?

Ant-Man had cut a deal for violating the Sokovia accords.  Didn't some other heroes also cut that deal?  I forget who else was in that same situation.

I was just looking it up to see if there were any good articles on the subject. Perfect timing!

WandaVision: Who Is Westview's Witness Protection Character?

Here's who Jimmy Woo's missing person from the witness protection program might be in WandaVision. After three episodes inside Scarlet Witch's pocket reality, the storytelling perspective shifts for the ongoing Marvel Studios' inaugural Disney+ series. This time, the narrative is told from the outside world with FBI and SWORD working together to get to the bottom of Westview's mystery.

This brought Jimmy Woo into the story; originally debuting in Ant-Man and the Wasp as Scott Lang's home arrest officer, the FBI agent is now in New Jersey for another case, this time, a missing person that's supposed to be in the witness protection program settled in Westview. But like the local police, anyone who's known that person suddenly didn't have any recollection of them once they disappeared. WandaVision teamed him up with SWORD operative Monica Rambeau until she got unexpectedly sucked into the fantastical world of Wanda and Vision. This further engaged Jimmy, leading him to collaborate with Darcy Lewis to figure out what's really happening inside the bubble, not to mention retrieving Monica. But while Maria Rambeau's daughter has been brought back to the real world, the mystery of Jimmy's missing witness remains.

Interestingly, WandaVision didn't reveal the identity of the aforementioned lost person, indicating that there's something more to the situation than a simple disappearance act. Jimmy casually revealed that a witness is a man; between this and what's known about Westview thus far, there are a couple of viable candidates who fit the profile. First is Ralph, Agnes' husband who has yet to physically show up in the series but has been consistently mentioned in the past three episodes by his wife. Not much is known about him, other than his connection to Agnes, and no one else in Westview seems to know him, either, otherwise, he would've been part of the men's community meeting and the subsequent talent show in "Don't Touch That Dial." Since there hasn't been any sighting of him, Woo and SWORD also didn't seem to have a file on him like other prominent people in Scarlet Witch's sitcom-inspired alternate reality.

Given Marvel Studios' knack for planting plot seeds for future storytelling, chances are that Jimmy's missing witness isn't anyone random. There's a reason his identity hasn't been revealed. While it's possible it doesn't mean anything that big for the overarching narrative of WandaVision or MCU Phase 4 and beyond, he and his situation might factor into later projects if Marvel history is any indication.

19 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

It's a limited series and basically nothing happened. I don't think that people much "hate" it so much as think it's super boring. The homages were done well, but when you have 29 minutes of homages and 1 minute of mystery, then the story overall isn't compelling.

You can't tell O.J. Simpson's story starting with the Ford Bronco.  You'd need at least 29 minutes of him playing football, getting married, having kids, etc. :baiting:

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

I just don't think Marvel Studios would go so far out on a limb to flip a Fox Studios X-Men character on us. Even if Marvel Studios were to recycle the same actors when they arrive in the MCU, I think it's too soon and too distracting from the foreseeable storylines that Marvel seems to be setting up. I just think a major MCU character will show up to help bail things out. That this show leads directly into Dr Strange 2 and that he's already rumored, it makes sense that Strange will be the surprise guest star.

That being said, if I and other geek pundits are wrong and it turns out that this is the way Marvel decides to re-introduce the X-Men to us (again, way too soon), I guess I could see it being Professor X played by James McCavoy. I just don't see that happening.

20 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

If we tie Jimmy Woo back to Ant-Man and the Wasp, the one character I could think of from the Bay area who got arrested and might be a witness to bigger criminal undertakings would be Sonny Burch.

2 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:
5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

You can't tell O.J. Simpson's story starting with the Ford Bronco.  You'd need at least 29 minutes of him playing football, getting married, having kids, etc. :baiting:

Not if his story has unfolded for 6 years prior...

There are 20 Marvel movies and lots of streaming series, so they've found their core audience.

They're clearly trying to reach a new audience, starting Episode 1 with 1950s sit-com.  They're going for the 70+ year old grandmothers who like I Love Lucy and CSI... who don't watch Marvel. :foryou:  

It's like Coca-Cola's advertising department.  Who are they trying to reach?  Is anyone unfamiliar with their product? lol

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

There are 20 Marvel movies and lots of streaming series, so they've found their core audience.

They're clearly trying to reach a new audience, starting Episode 1 with 1950s sit-com.  They're going for the 70+ year old grandmothers who like I Love Lucy and CSI... who don't watch Marvel. :foryou:  

It's like Coca-Cola's advertising department.  Who are they trying to reach?  Is anyone unfamiliar with their product? lol

Since when do dusty old farts keep their interest once the sci-fi begins? Why put out something boring for said dusty old farts when that audience isn't going to see Multiverse of Madness?

Sounds like excuses for putting me to sleep early on a Saturday afternoon. (:

1 minute ago, Angel of Death said:
5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Since when do dusty old farts keep their interest once the sci-fi begins? Why put out something boring for said dusty old farts when that audience isn't going to see Multiverse of Madness?

Sounds like excuses for putting me to sleep early on a Saturday afternoon. (:

That's why I mentioned CSI... another favorite show for old people... it's clearly sci-fi.  Enhancing grainy video, getting DNA results in 30 minutes... sci-fi. (thumbsu

I'm going to play with my Sonny Burch theory a moment. If Agent Woo's escapee from Witness Protection is Burch, then Burch must have a strong motivation to escape and travel cross country to the opposite coast.  What if Sonny Burch's mysterious billionaire benefactor from Ant-Man and the Wasp is tied to the craziness in Westview? And if so, who would be such a compelling powerful figure that would motivate Burch to escape and travel so far for? My guess is Mephisto and Burch could be a devoted minion. Just another theory.

Edited by @therealsilvermane