• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

The rules you're alluding to apply to standalone fiction, but do they apply to serial fiction with a universe as large as the ones Marvel and DC have created?  There's plenty of precedent to large, ongoing universes in the history of literature, and I don't see why having Nancy Drew show up at the end of a novel to save the Hardy Boys is below board.  The scene from Mandalorian Olsen was referring to where Luke shows up at the end is exactly what you're referring to, and that was by FAR the finest moment in Star Wars cinema in at LEAST four years, and I'm sure plenty of fans think it's the best moment in almost 40 years.

I think they should apply. Mandalorian worked because Baby Yoda called to the universe, the jedi woman A Tano (I don't know her name) etc led to that. The fans never thought it could happen but the story led it there. They would have to acknowledge a relationship I think, and have some other storytelling moments to justify it, during the current series. It is a finite series. Beginning, middle, end, be creative with all sure. I'll enjoy Doc if/when he shows, I love me some Doc. It is cool (and I read all the hardy Boys and Nancy Drew up to 1980 or so) but it should work for more than just being cool, it should work in the story.

Re-watched the meeting scene between Woo and Monica again looking for clues for why he would be looking for a witness with bogus background information, i.e. one that lives in a fictional town with fictional acquaintances that don't know him.  I have to assume this witness's info was falsified by one of the covert ops organizations like HYDRA, SHIELD, or SWORD, but I guess we'll find out eventually.  The cop car does say "Eastview Sheriff" on the side, and it has a car number of 1966.  Knowing that Marvel loves their easter eggs--what happened in 1966 in Marvel Comics that might tie to the series?  This page lists all the comics from that year:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Marvel_Comics_1966

I briefly browsed the comics from that year and could only identify one tie--the High Evolutionary first appeared in Thor 133 and 134 in that year.  Mephisto first appeared in Silver Surfer #3 in 1968.

I know pretty much nothing about High Evolutionary so I have no opinion whatsover.

Edited by fantastic_four

51 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Re-watched the meeting scene between Woo and Monica again looking for clues for why he would be looking for a witness with bogus background information, i.e. one that lives in a fictional town with fictional acquaintances that don't know him.  I have to assume this witness's info was falsified by one of the covert ops organizations like HYDRA, SHIELD, or SWORD, but I guess we'll find out eventually.  The cop car does say "Eastview Sheriff" on the side, and it has a car number of 1966.  Knowing that Marvel loves their easter eggs--what happened in 1966 in Marvel Comics that might tie to the series?  This page lists all the comics from that year:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Marvel_Comics_1966

I briefly browsed the comics from that year and could only identify one tie--the High Evolutionary first appeared in Thor 133 and 134 in that year.  Mephisto first appeared in Silver Surfer #3 in 1968.

I know pretty much nothing about High Evolutionary so I have no opinion whatsover.

Fan theories say Herb is the High Evolutionary... who is Herbert Wyndham in the comics

Now this one on Dottie is interesting, many thought Clea because she looks like her and we are wondering how Wandavision will hook up with Dr. strange:

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/wandavision-spoilers-dottie-theory-arcanna-squadron-supreme/

I am not familiar with the character, but she is Arcanna Jones (Earth 717s version of Zatanna) ... Dottie Jones in the comics .. her husband is Phil Jones in the comics and show, she looks like her, she is from another universe ... which would possibly infer that wanda has created some sort of cross-over porta straddling the multiverse

Also, Dottie keeps on saying "for the children"... in the comics all 4 of Arcanna's children are killed

Her first appearance is already hitting $50+ raw..... it was $2 a week ago

I have a box of worthless Defenders comics. You know I don't have that issue, I will have 3 copies of each of the books around it though.

Edited by the blob

Yes, as anticipated, I have 3 copies of Defenders 111, zero copies of 112. Looked them up on Mile High, apparently Mile High has not jacked up the price of 112. It is a mere $70 in NM I think. 111 is $69. Apparently, all of these books I thought were 50 cent box books in the Defenders run at $50-70+ at mile high. I know they of 50% off codewords, but still

Edited by the blob

Finally read about High Evolutionary.  He's a geneticist inspired by the big X-Men villain Mr Sinister.  Usually evolution happens over the course of countless generations during thousands or millions of years, but he created a way to "evolve" the genes of one individual organism.  I put that in quotes because it's unclear that evolution necessarily leads to improvements without natural selection culling regressions, but hey, it's fiction, so I'm ok with assuming he figured out a way to guide the genetic change in a direction of improvement.  Apocalypse does a similar or perhaps the same thing and did that to Sinister.

I don't get the distinction between a mutant or someone who has been genetically manipulated to have powers.  Either way you've mutated into a new type of life, so it seems the only distinction is that mutants are born that way whereas Sinister, High Evolutionary, and post-2014 Wanda and Pietro were made into essentially the same result.  Seems like splitting hairs...they're all functionally the same thing, humans with powers stemming from unique DNA.

I read Thor 134 from 1966 featuring High Evolutionary's first appearance.  Wanda and Pietro are in it, and it's directly implied in the page below that they were experimented on by High Evolutionary at birth.  The twins being Magneto's kids was itself a ret-con in Avengers 184 from 1979, and really the 2014 change just reversed the ret-con back to Stan Lee's original idea.  So while I've been trying to guess if Wanda is a mutant or not in the MCU, now I realize the distinction barely matters.  You can easily merge all of the possibilities by saying she's a mutant born to Magneto and experimented on by High Evolutionary to be far MORE powerful, and that works perfectly to merge the 1979 Magneto ret-con in with the original and post-2014 intent.

RCO013.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

14 hours ago, the blob said:

Fan theories say Herb is the High Evolutionary... who is Herbert Wyndham in the comics

Now this one on Dottie is interesting, many thought Clea because she looks like her and we are wondering how Wandavision will hook up with Dr. strange:

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/wandavision-spoilers-dottie-theory-arcanna-squadron-supreme/

I am not familiar with the character, but she is Arcanna Jones (Earth 717s version of Zatanna) ... Dottie Jones in the comics .. her husband is Phil Jones in the comics and show, she looks like her, she is from another universe ... which would possibly infer that wanda has created some sort of cross-over porta straddling the multiverse

Also, Dottie keeps on saying "for the children"... in the comics all 4 of Arcanna's children are killed

Her first appearance is already hitting $50+ raw..... it was $2 a week ago

I have a box of worthless Defenders comics. You know I don't have that issue, I will have 3 copies of each of the books around it though.

Well, I guess that solves the Dottie mystery. Makes sense to me. Generally speaking, maybe we're not realizing how much the Multiverse is going to play into MCU Phase 4, especially with Loki around the corner.

My hope and wish is that High Evolutionary has nothing to do with WandaVision, is just an Easter egg for comic fans, and is being saved for a debut in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 and will connect to Rocket and hopefully Adam Warlock.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

14 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

My hope and wish is that High Evolutionary has nothing to do with WandaVision, is just an Easter egg for comic fans, and is being saved for a debut in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 and will connect to Rocket and hopefully Adam Warlock.

I certainly can't see how anything with keeping Westview going meshes with his goals.  He usually wants to push the bounds of evolution, but I don't see how keeping Wanda or the others in a cage achieves anything High Evolutionary would want to achieve.

One hypothesis I heard this week is that Westview could be a prison for sorcerers being run by Baron Mordo and that's why Agatha Harkness, Arcanna, and Wanda are there, and some of the other residents may also be sorcerers.

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

One hypothesis I heard this week is that Westview could be a prison for sorcerers being run by Baron Mordo and that's why Agatha Harkness, Arcanna, and Wanda are there, and some of the other residents may also be sorcerers.

It does seem peculiar that Wanda, Agatha Harkness, and possibly Arcanna, three Marvel witches, are all present. Mordo did say there are too many sorcerers at the end of Dr Strange.

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I certainly can't see how anything with keeping Westview going meshes with his goals.  He usually wants to push the bounds of evolution, but I don't see how keeping Wanda or the others in a cage achieves anything High Evolutionary would want to achieve.

I don't think the High Evolutionary is keeping them hostage though...more likely made his way in to observe and utilize maybe.  Like what was he doing/trying to di in cutting through the wall?