• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, piper said:

Not very patient I guess? lol

Patience is a virtue. Slogging through a bunch of vapid content is a chore, though. If you're gonna spend $200+ million on a TV show, it better be well-paced. So far, it hasn't been.

Edit: "Pace" including the "mystery" of the show. So far, nothing has been told of the story, and we're 1/3 the way through. 2 hints per episode ain't enough. The show needed less fluff in the '1st Act'.

Edited by Angel of Death

From the trailer it looks like they've got a clear idea of who most everyone in Westview is, but they're missing a few cards for people like Dottie, the Doctor and his wife and a few others. Also noticeably absent from this board is an official form of government ID with Agnes' file meaning she's either off the grid or maybe she's not of this world? And finally we can glean Westview is in New Jersey which happens to be where Ms. Marvel is going to take place hm...

sword-board-red-circle-1254425.jpeg

39 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:

From the trailer it looks like they've got a clear idea of who most everyone in Westview is, but they're missing a few cards for people like Dottie, the Doctor and his wife and a few others. Also noticeably absent from this board is an official form of government ID with Agnes' file meaning she's either off the grid or maybe she's not of this world? And finally we can glean Westview is in New Jersey which happens to be where Ms. Marvel is going to take place hm...

sword-board-red-circle-1254425.jpeg

I read that in an article as well.

Clips from the upcoming episode of WandaVision have been pouring out from Marvel Studios, showing off far more than fans expected. In fact, a new TV spot gave fans a taste of the action and excitement to come for the series.

The biggest peek yet has been the latest special preview of the next episode, which looks to focus exclusively on S.W.O.R.D. and what they were doing outside the static bubble up to the point Monica Rambeau was thrown out. This one preview showed so much, but one prop in particular stuck out that needed a closer look.

WESTVIEW MISSING PERSONS
The most interesting tidbit from the extended clip from "Episode 4" of WandaVision is a board covered in photos focused on Wanda, Vision, and the rest of the inhabitants of their sitcom reality.

Under each of the photos are driver's licenses for New Jersey, pointing to them being real people. There's even a map in the lower left-hand corner that reads “Westview, New Jersey” and “Edge of Town — Topography.”

Combined, both these pieces of evidence confirm that Wanda engulfed this static bubble around an entire town, trapping its residents, who S.W.O.R.D. was able to identify and match using existing pieces of ID.

The only person the agency failed to identify is Kathryn Hahn's Agnes, which points to her being an outsider and not an original citizen of Westview. It could also be that Agnes may not be real at all, created by Wanda, or someone there to manipulate Wanda.

Hours before the fourth episode of WandaVision is set to drop, the marketing minds at Walt Disney Studios decided to release an extended teaser of the events of the upcoming episode. In it, Jimmy Woo (Randall Park) finally refers to "Geraldine" as "Captain Rambeau," and we see the return of Kat Dennings' Darcy Lewis. The clip also begins to unfurl some of the mysteries surrounding Westview, the city seemingly under siege from Wanda Maximoff (Elizabeth Olsen). In one shot in particular, there's a board set up at what appears to be SWORD HQ that shows the various citizens of Westview.

Agnes (Kathryn Hahn) is there, as is Herb, Norm, and the Harts. Notably absent, however, is Dottie (Emma Caulfield Ford), even though she's the self-proclaimed queen of Westview. In fact, the series has already gone out of its way to set Dottie up as an antagonist that must be in control of everything, and her husband in the show even has a file on the wall — so why isn't she being tracked by SWORD?

Interestingly enough, the board itself is positioned in a way that it would seem a chunk of content has been removed in post-production through the use of visual effects. Right below the files for Agnes and Norm is a space big enough for two more papers, Dottie — and likely Doctor Nielson. Nielson was, after all, has been featured in Wanda's sitcoms series just as much as the Harts have been.

So why aren't Dottie or the doctor being tracked by SWORD? Maybe it's because neither of the characters have been identified by the outfit. Even then, one would think SWORD has started to compile a file on everyone involved in the reality-warping production.

Because of that, it'd stand to reason that perhaps SWORD already knows the true identities of Dottie and Doctor Nielson. Maybe the duo are already working with SWORD and some compacity, so there's no need to keep track of them — you know, maybe Dottie and the doctor are Clea and Doctor Strange, and SWORD already knows everything there is to know about them.

2 hours ago, fmaz said:

I do think that this show is a DELIGHT for those of us old enough to appreciate all the effort put in — aside from all the little nods to the building story and the MCU — to lovingly honor the history of television sitcoms.  It’s not parody (which I admittedly somewhat feared it would be) but it’s really just honoring the traditions of each generation of show.  That being said, I’m not sure how that plays for those who didn’t experience those shows either in first run, on Nick at Nite or even just through YouTube clips.  For those folks, yeah, maybe I could see it starting a “bit slow.”  I need to check in with our college-age son and see what he thinks, 3-episodes in.

I had a discussion with my friend about this very point...for those of us who grew up watching reruns of "Bewitched", "I Love Lucy", "Leave it to Beaver", etc., the first few episodes of this series have a cheesy, nostalgic feel to them that we can appreciate...however, I can see how younger viewers who were not exposed to these shows could be put off by the first few episodes.

I was telling my friend that starting the series off in the style of an 80s or 90s sitcom might've appealed to a larger audience...

I did see or read something (I can't remember if it was a video or an article) that mentions Wanda's fondness for 50s U.S. television shows (maybe this is all they had access to in Sokovia?) as the reason for the series starting like it does though.

Edited by silverseeker

Good episode. But like much of the MCU, you have to be familiar with all the events to pull the franchise pieces together. To include deaths, major events and character relationships. So a strength and a weakness at the same time, depending on the viewer's familiarity with it all.

Interesting enough, if you watch Episode 4 to the credits it routes you to Age of Ultron. So they definitely want viewers fully aware of the events of that movie.

13 hours ago, fmaz said:

I do think that this show is a DELIGHT for those of us old enough to appreciate all the effort put in — aside from all the little nods to the building story and the MCU — to lovingly honor the history of television sitcoms.  It’s not parody (which I admittedly somewhat feared it would be) but it’s really just honoring the traditions of each generation of show.  That being said, I’m not sure how that plays for those who didn’t experience those shows either in first run, on Nick at Nite or even just through YouTube clips.  For those folks, yeah, maybe I could see it starting a “bit slow.”  I need to check in with our college-age son and see what he thinks, 3-episodes in.

I’ll say this though, because it’s an eight-episode show, you could also consider it a pair of two hour movies... and we’d really just be through the origin part of the first movie, which everyone knows is the slowest part typically.  So for those having issue... hasn’t Marvel at this point earned at least the benefit of the doubt? 

Very much looking forward to tomorrow night!

Not when it comes to TV shows.

I am a 'younger' person who experienced those sitcoms. Yes, the show does a good job of mimicking them. However, that doesn't make the story the tiniest bit interesting through 3 episodes. People aren't watching this to see remakes of those shows. We're watching to see what is actually going on with Wanda. We have been given almost nothing. I'm not expecting the world 1/3 through the series, but something more than vapid homages would be very nice.

11 hours ago, silverseeker said:

I was telling my friend that starting the series off in the style of an 80s or 90s sitcom might've appealed to a larger audience...

That wouldn't make a difference to me. The homages are well-done, absolutely, but I'm here for the Wanda story and not for hours of mimicking old sitcoms. Y'know? There's a morsel here or there, but I'm starving at this point for something relevant to what's actually happening.

23 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Not when it comes to TV shows.

I am a 'younger' person who experienced those sitcoms. Yes, the show does a good job of mimicking them. However, that doesn't make the story the tiniest bit interesting through 3 episodes. People aren't watching this to see remakes of those shows. We're watching to see what is actually going on with Wanda. We have been given almost nothing. I'm not expecting the world 1/3 through the series, but something more than vapid homages would be very nice.

20 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

That wouldn't make a difference to me. The homages are well-done, absolutely, but I'm here for the Wanda story and not for hours of mimicking old sitcoms. Y'know? There's a morsel here or there, but I'm starving at this point for something relevant to what's actually happening.

I think in the end the big reveal will be old American TV sitcoms in syndication were Wanda's comfort experiences as a kid back in Sokovia. So to deal with all the trauma she has experienced between Ultron and Thanos, she has locked herself away to what made her feel positive in life at a point in time. But I could see how it would confuse a portion of the audience if they are not putting the entire MCU story together by having followed this all the way through. Or wanting that portion of Wanda's life dragged out extensively to finally get to the real meat of the story after all this time.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I think in the end the big reveal will be old American TV sitcoms in syndication were Wanda's comfort experiences as a kid back in Sokovia. So to deal with all the trauma she has experienced between Ultron and Thanos, she has locked herself away to what made her feel positive in life at a point in time. But I could see how it would confuse a portion of the audience if they are not putting the entire MCU story together by having followed this all the way through. Or wanting that portion of Wanda's life dragged out extensively to finally get to the real meat of the story after all this time.

That's not what I would call a "big reveal".

7 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

That's not what I would call a "big reveal".

I think it is clear at this point that is not YOUR big reveal moment.

But for those viewers new to the MCU or such a concentrated focus on Scarlet Witch more than ever, it will be. Right?

Just now, Bosco685 said:

I think it is clear at this point that is not YOUR big reveal moment.

But for those viewers new to the MCU or such a concentrated focus on Scarlet Witch more than ever, it will be. Right?

People are watching this show who haven't watched all of the MCU? Wouldn't that be like watching Infinity War without watching Phase 2?

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Interesting enough, if you watch Episode 4 to the credits it routes you to Age of Ultron. So they definitely want viewers fully aware of the events of that movie.

I saw that too, but Infinity War seems FAR more important to this story to know Vision is dead, plus Endgame to know about the blip and why people were materializing from nothing at the start of this episode.