• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

So what does Agatha want? The answers may lie in two comic book limited series that weren’t previously mentioned as important to WandaVision’s building narrative: Scarlet Witch Vol. 1 (1994)  and Avengers Forever (1998).

The commercial in the latest episode of WandaVision is for an antidepressant called Nexus, a term that has a larger significance in the Marvel Universe. In the four-issue Scarlet Witch by Andy Lanning and Dan Abnett, with art by John Higgins, Wanda is revealed to be a Nexus-Being, a witch who represents the reality of that universe. In her case, it’s the 616 Universe (the designation for Marvel's mainline comic universe). In terms of the Nexus-Beings classified thus far, their manipulation of probability and reality have distinct names individual to each being, Sorcery, Psychometry, Necromancy, Geomancy and Hex Power in Wanda’s case. No two Nexus beings can exist within the same dimension, which inevitably brings Wanda into conflict when an alternate reality version of herself, Lore, who enters her universe, on a path to conquer every dimension and claim their magical energies for herself. Lore tells Wanda, “Each of the universe’s innumerable dimensions has its own Nexus Being, one who personifies that realm’s character.” Wanda with the aid of her mentor, Agatha Harkness, manages to defeat Lore, ultimately increasing her own magical abilities, and preventing further destruction of the multiverse.

What’s interesting about Agatha Harkness’ appearance in WandaVision is that she seems to be an amalgamation of the comics’ version of Agatha and Lore. She wears a brooch similar to Agatha, and appears to have more experience in witchcraft than Wanda, but whereas Agatha in the comics is an elderly crone who serves Wanda’s ally, she appears as the youthful source of Wanda’s undoing in WandaVision. Agatha’s magic in WandaVision is manifested as a purple energy, as opposed to Wanda’s red energy. Not only does the color of her magic give her further ties to Lore, who wore only purple in her appearances, but it ties to the MCU’s Infinity Stones. Purple is, of course, the color of the Power Stone. While red, the color of Wanda’s magic, is the color of the Aether, or Reality Stone. Given Wanda’s ability to manipulate reality, it would seem that Agnes has the ability to manipulate and harness great power, setting the stage for a hell of a witch war by the culmination of the series.

Wanda’s invitation to Agatha’s house, the first time viewers have gotten glimpse of the inside, comes after Monica Rambeau (Teyonah Parris) displays powers of her own, her molecular structure having changed within the hex, setting the stage for her eventual superheroics in Captain Marvel 2. While Monica will seemingly have her own encounter with Agatha’s witchcraft in the next episode, as a post-credit scene sees her encounter not-Pietro (Evan Peters), Wanda may be on her own in Agatha’s basement for the time being. Wanda’s search for her children, Billy (Julian Hilliard) and Tommy (Jett Klyne), lead her to a cellar that looks straight out of a medieval castle.

The cellar is filled with magical artifacts, most notably a sinister looking book that may be the Darkhold, a book of Black Magic written by the demonic Elder God, Chthon, who possessed Wanda with the help of Mordred the Mystic in Avengers No. 185 – No. 187 (1979) by writers David Michelinie, Mark Gruenwald and Steven Grant, with art by John Byrne, who would of course later go on to destroy Wanda’s world, her marriage, and children, in the pages of West Coast Avengers. Is it possible that Chthon in the MCU will simply be another name for Mephisto, who might be Agatha’s husband “Ralph"? And if Evan Peters isn’t playing that role, then maybe, just maybe, Mordred has been reimagined as the son of Agatha and Mephisto? We’ll table that theory for now and turn back to Billy and Tommy.

Billy and Tommy are nowhere to be found in Agatha’s cellar, though it’s doubtful we’ve seen the last of them, as they could be the most powerful beings in the universe. In Avengers Forever, the twelve-issue comic book series by Kurt Busiek and Roger Stern, drawn by Carlos Pacheco and Jesus Merino, Space-Phantom, servant of the time traveling villain, Immortus (who is also the future version of Kang the Conqueror) reveals the truth about the threat the Scarlet Witch’s children represent in the eighth issue of the series. “The Scarlet Witch is your reality’s Nexus-Being – and thus almost as important, in her own way, as the Celestial Madonna. Any children she bears – they will be so powerful as to stand among the great forces of the universe – and will have the potential to rock the cosmos itself.” With Billy and Tommy at her disposal, Agatha has the potential to rewrite the universe, which explains why she’s been watching Wanda and Vision so closely. But she may not be the only one watching.

Nexus-Beings are closely monitored by the Time Variance Authority who monitor the multiverse. Because of Nexus-Beings’ ability to alter universes, unleashing threats that could destroy the whole multiverse, the Time Variance Authority, or TVA, culls universes deemed too dangerous to remain in existence. Their management of the multiverse has created long-term disputes with Kang the Conqueror, who has his own masterplan for the multiverse. The TVA is set to appear in the upcoming Disney+ series, Loki, which might have already teased in an appearance by Mephisto in the trailer. And Kang is set to appear in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, where he will be portrayed by Jonathan Majors.

Loki, Ant-Man, and the Wasp may find themselves dealing with the fallout of Wanda’s actions in their own adventures, their own forces of magic and science set in opposition to hers, even if indirectly at this point.

While WandaVision has largely been discussed in relation to Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, and the third Spider-Man film, the latest episode suggests that Wanda may be the center of Marvel Studios’ Phase 4, the nexus for the MCU’s future, with ramifications felt by everyone from Carol Danvers to Peter Parker. As we prepare to head into the last two episodes of WandaVision, this series, which seemed to be an off-beat experiment on a smaller scale, may be the most ambitious narrative the MCU has attempted yet. And given the reception and weekly anticipation, we all seem to be caught under the spell.

5 hours ago, herc2000 said:

How many cheesy sitcoms have been made over the years? A lot more than 25 I think?

The original fans of comics, bought comics because they were superhero beat em ups, they were action packed, if you remember and know your comics you'll know that romance comics, humour comics didn't do to well compared to the beat em ups.

Marvel should be trying to please their long time fans and not begging for a different audience, but pleasing the audience that have made them the success that they are.

I thought the hulu shows were bad, then I watched this dross and people are getting excited about irrelevant easter eggs when nothing else of any significance is happening?

I can't believe the reviews on IMDB are real, some yeah, but the amount of 10's, they're fake, what has exactly happened in this show so far with only 2 episodes left? Then when you go outside it's an Agents of Shield feel.

The Vision has become Paul Bettany, rather than the actor becoming The Vision. Agatha Harkness, all along, duh, we had no clue all along did we that it was Agatha, we really sre dumb in disneys eyes. Then they mock the original costumes, why don't these people try creating something original themselves.

I know it's the disney channel, might as well call wandavison the disney show, as it does not feel like any marvel comics I've ever read before, maybe Bill and Ted.

Romance comics actually did quite well for a time. Trends change.

The overwhelming majority of people posting in this thread (which is a small percentage, and probably the portion of the audience that is scrutinizing it the most) seems to enjoy the show, so Marvel *is* pleasing their longtime fans for the most part. And they're also bringing in new people, if the fact that Disney+ crashed from the huge numbers of people trying to stream new episodes as they are available.

6 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Romance comics actually did quite well for a time. Trends change.

The overwhelming majority of people posting in this thread (which is a small percentage, and probably the portion of the audience that is scrutinizing it the most) seems to enjoy the show, so Marvel *is* pleasing their longtime fans for the most part. And they're also bringing in new people, if the fact that Disney+ crashed from the huge numbers of people trying to stream new episodes as they are available.

Agree. I’ve been pleased since episode one. I love all the theories. I think some are crazy and wrong. I agree with some. It’s great discussion! Maybe I predict something correctly? Maybe I I am horribly wrong and everything I laughed at is the truth. Either way, great entertainment.

Although with two episodes left I am mentally preparing for some sort of letdown. This last episode, while good, was the first one that was not better than the last in my opinion. Since episode one, each week has gotten better and better and better. I felt episode 7 plateaued a bit and I’m hoping it’s because the last two episodes will truly be the pinnacle of it all. That would have this show go down as truly great. However I’m reserving myself for a potentially lower level reveal so as to not be disappointed.

2 hours ago, TupennyConan said:

For example, will Darcy become a superhero? 

I think you have to go through multiple times. It requires “the ole In and out and such”

i suspect that the hex will disappear and everyone that was brought in will never get the change to get out (go through a second time) 

10 hours ago, shiverbones said:

:baiting:

A2EDC6F6-4EAC-4C6D-9FE7-B0876DDBC7C7.jpeg

AAFCFE15-712A-4786-A70C-97B4CEC5C0D6.jpeg

I like this idea. Modred's an ancient mystic like Agatha, he has a history with Chthon and being a vessel for him, he has the same color hair which I think is a far more damning piece of evidence when it's a unique color like silvery white, and that outfit does seem to vaguely allude to his comic costume. All things considered I'd be down for it.

17 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I think you have to go through multiple times. It requires “the ole In and out and such”

i suspect that the hex will disappear and everyone that was brought in will never get the change to get out (go through a second time) 

We could find out if once was enough to give you super powers.  @gadzukes how many films in your marvel contract?

23 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Can't wait for detective woo to get his powers so they can bring in the Aquaman universe

7 hours ago, herc2000 said:

How many cheesy sitcoms have been made over the years? A lot more than 25 I think?

The original fans of comics, bought comics because they were superhero beat em ups, they were action packed, if you remember and know your comics you'll know that romance comics, humour comics didn't do to well compared to the beat em ups.

Marvel should be trying to please their long time fans and not begging for a different audience, but pleasing the audience that have made them the success that they are.

I thought the hulu shows were bad, then I watched this dross and people are getting excited about irrelevant easter eggs when nothing else of any significance is happening?

I can't believe the reviews on IMDB are real, some yeah, but the amount of 10's, they're fake, what has exactly happened in this show so far with only 2 episodes left? Then when you go outside it's an Agents of Shield feel.

The Vision has become Paul Bettany, rather than the actor becoming The Vision. Agatha Harkness, all along, duh, we had no clue all along did we that it was Agatha, we really sre dumb in disneys eyes. Then they mock the original costumes, why don't these people try creating something original themselves.

I know it's the disney channel, might as well call wandavison the disney show, as it does not feel like any marvel comics I've ever read before, maybe Bill and Ted.

Valid points in bold.

However, everything inside Westview is a mockery or illusion of something else. That's part of the whole plot. 

3 hours ago, Cozmo-One said:

Has anyone else entered and left the hex more than once?  Or maybe since she was part of the blip a week or two prior, that may have also done something to her DNA...

That blip and hex = superpowers 

the hex breaking up at the end might be the birth of the mutants (impacting those who were part of the blip)

2 hours ago, thunsicker said:

We could find out if once was enough to give you super powers.

I posted a theory on it earlier, but now I 100% think this is the case. Monica got her powers from entering the Hexagon in Episode 7 alone and not before. Also, nobody else who entered the Hexagon before Episode 7 is in danger of being mutated.

My reasoning is because for some reason, the Hexagon became impenetrable as of Episode 7. Nothing was able to come in or out of the Hex including radio waves, drones, land rovers, or people. The only reason Monica Rambeau was able to enter was her heroic resolve to get inside even if it tore her apart. Anyone else less heroic would have given up immediately.

Monica Rambeau's hero moment in Episode 7, going through a Hexagon barrier so impenetrable that it tore her apart and then permanently rewrote her, is what changed her. Nobody else will be affected by the Hexagon because nobody else has the right stuff to fight through the barrier the way Monica did. That's why she's super-powered now.

1 hour ago, bpc3qh said:

I think those are quite possibly the twins in blue and red. They seemed to be weirdly in focus.

That picture is of a 2000s Nickelodeon kids show Yo Gabba Gabba it has nothing to do with anything other than Agatha babysitting the kids and putting something on for them to watch

Agnes has been talking about her husband Ralph since the first episode, and we still haven't seen him.  Given what's in her basement, and the "full reveal" of Agatha way too early in the series (with her own theme song), it seems far more likely that Ralph is the big reveal.  (Perhaps even Ralph's mother is a reveal, since Agnes said she isn't in town when his mother is.  Wanda supposedly won't let anyone leave, so Agnes goes out of her "character" to leave when Ralph's mother arrives?) hm

Edited by valiantman

3 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:

That picture is of a 2000s Nickelodeon kids show Yo Gabba Gabba it has nothing to do with anything other than Agatha babysitting the kids and putting something on for them to watch

I knew it - the Ramones have been behind this all along.