• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Not what I meant. You are obviously caring about women, but just off the top of my head, have you ever been told that you can't play baseball because you are a girl? That girls can't go to the "rifle range" (it was just bb guns) at day camp? that if you want to switch your major to art instead of law you are just in school to find a husband? Girls who are not considered unattractive  can't possibly beat everyone else on a standardized test? That there are no female grooms at the race track? Etc, etc? The latest (because there have been changes over the years and many less "you can't because" incidents) was that "women don't collect comics" and that one was on here.

So I played baseball, won the riflery medal at camp, got an A in my Constitutional law class and took art anyway, was the first female groom at the local harness track (while I was in grad school) did pretty well on standardized tests, and I have an acceptable (to most;) comic book collection;) 

Like I said, I've lived it...but I still think movies should be entertaining...and now that I've said more about my past here than I have to most people ..

I didn't want to go to law school because I actually hate arguing, so I will leave it at that...

BB guns at a day camp!? You’re going to shoot your eye out with those things.

I respect that the struggle is real for women in our society and your having lived it. Yes, I’m a male and can’t really understand the plight, but I do like to think the basic human struggle still connects us all and allows for some empathy. Regarding Captain Marvel, I can say that my woman partner(who doesn’t like comic book movies and only watches them for my sake and isn’t afraid to say something is bad regardless of my opinion) appreciated that finally one of these movies just let a woman be a hero without calling attention to the fact that she’s a woman, that Danvers happened to have lady parts was beside the point. 

Yes, movies should first and foremost be entertaining. That’s a subjective thing. To be honest, I cared less about any messages of women empowerment in Captain Marvel. I just wanted a good movie, and for me, I got it. Finally I got a MCU movie that gave its main character one goal and let the movie be about that one goal and not get sidetracked  on a side mission or side story or try to tie into another Marvel movie. I mean I like that other stuff, but I appreciated the focus of Captain Marvel’s story. I enjoyed its humor. I think I subconsciously enjoyed that the movie wasn’t so heavy-handed after the heaviness of Infinity War. As a not lifelong Captain Marvel fan, I couldn’t have been happier with the movie. 

If it’s heavy handedness that some people want, which a lot of MCU movies are, I think that’s coming with the sequel.

6 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

BB guns at a day camp!? You’re going to shoot your eye out with those things.

I respect that the struggle is real for women in our society and your having lived it. Yes, I’m a male and can’t really understand the plight, but I do like to think the basic human struggle still connects us all and allows for some empathy. Regarding Captain Marvel, I can say that my woman partner(who doesn’t like comic book movies and only watches them for my sake and isn’t afraid to say something is bad regardless of my opinion) appreciated that finally one of these movies just let a woman be a hero without calling attention to the fact that she’s a woman, that Danvers happened to have lady parts was beside the point. 

Yes, movies should first and foremost be entertaining. That’s a subjective thing. To be honest, I cared less about any messages of women empowerment in Captain Marvel. I just wanted a good movie, and for me, I got it. Finally I got a MCU movie that gave its main character one goal and let the movie be about that one goal and not get sidetracked  on a side mission or side story or try to tie into another Marvel movie. I mean I like that other stuff, but I appreciated the focus of Captain Marvel’s story. I enjoyed its humor. I think I subconsciously enjoyed that the movie wasn’t so heavy-handed after the heaviness of Infinity War. As a not lifelong Captain Marvel fan, I couldn’t have been happier with the movie. 

If it’s heavy handedness that some people want, which a lot of MCU movies are, I think that’s coming with the sequel.

That was my point:)_ :foryou:

Glad you enjoyed it, it was hard for me to tell;)

Two things!

First, regarding Larson's Captain Marvel, I think any protagonist who doesn't have a memory is by definition lacking identity and therefore audience connection.  I want to see more of her in CM2 to get a sense of her 'real' personality and character, I think.

Second, the final song in the latest WandaVision was way too on the nose to suggest that Agatha's the only villain.  There are at least 1 or 2 more reveals in this show, I'd bet.

6 minutes ago, TupennyConan said:

Is the WandaVision thread the correct location to discuss how many times we've been offended on the Boards or elsewhere? 

If so, I'm ready to go.  

Unfortunately every thread turns into the 'Brie Larson needs defending from misogyny' discussion if an individual allows it to. That versus someone didn't care for the performance or -script treatment.

I guess she's the MCU 'Martha'.

CM_NAME.gif.870cbe1498ba1650207ce4bf7946fa72.gif

2 hours ago, AJLewandoski said:

Not sure why you think the book wouldn't exist?

I just mean we can't tell what in the Wandavision broadcast is and isn't real.  I've outlined it time after time in previous posts, but there are dozens upon dozens of clues that either most or all of the broadcast is either completely fabricated illusion and/or altered by the hex from their true nature.

Edited by fantastic_four

12 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Unfortunately every thread turns into the 'Brie Larson needs defending from misogyny' discussion if an individual allows it to. That versus someone didn't care for the performance or --script treatment.

I guess she's the MCU 'Martha'.

CM_NAME.gif.870cbe1498ba1650207ce4bf7946fa72.gif

Thank goodness we've got dispassionate, levelheaded, unbiased, apoltical, non-socially invested, never-ready to insult & offend another Boardie mods to sort this stuff out.  

I hope that we do not find out who is behind the broadcast and that whomever it is continues to watch/monitor the other upcoming MCU tv shows like Falcon &WS and Loki.

Then I hope it is Mojo.

I do not expect either of these things but would enjoy it if they occurred.

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

That was my point:)_ :foryou:

Glad you enjoyed it, it was hard for me to tell;)

On a final note and getting back to WandaVision, you’re not alone in your appreciation of how well written adult Monica Rambeau has been in our short time with her. That it’s happening during Black History Month is a cool alignment of planets, too. Of the three African-American superheroes we’ve met in the MCU, Monica is already more fleshed out which is a good sign for the progress of the MCU. James Rhodes and Sam Wilson for the most part have been supporting players and were not really given a deeper role other than support of Rogers or Stark. As with Natasha, it’s not until Endgame that Rhodes and Sam were given deeper scenes that explore their deeper emotional world instead of their role as best friend. With Rhodes it was his scene with Nebula about being only a part of the human they once were. With Sam, it was being given the shield by Cap. Like Monica has been allowed to with just a few episodes of WandaVision, I look forward to Rhodes and Sam being allowed to explore their own deeper roles in the MCU when their own Disney+ shows hit the stream.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

1 hour ago, Drummy said:

Second, the final song in the latest WandaVision was way too on the nose to suggest that Agatha's the only villain.  There are at least 1 or 2 more reveals in this show, I'd bet.

Yeah I think that's definitely right. But man, it is an entertaining song.

15 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

Yeah I think that's definitely right. But man, it is an entertaining song.

For such a meta-ironic-satire-parody-send-up-loving-homage mystery show, the Munsters song was far too much of a punch in the face, agreed.

Of course, it was terrific. Really really fun.  

There's more on the way.

For instance, why on earth [why in the multiverse], would any villain do all this Nick at Night junque? 

The Yale grad show-runner is my new GF. Sorry Agnes. 

2 hours ago, TupennyConan said:

Thank goodness we've got dispassionate, levelheaded, unbiased, apoltical, non-socially invested, never-ready to insult & offend another Boardie mods to sort this stuff out.  

Sure. I think they try. But let's not go that far in singing "99 Problems But Moderation Ain't One" just yet. They are very much human.

But thanks for reminding me of this song. (:

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I just mean we can't tell what in the Wandavision broadcast is and isn't real.  I've outlined it time after time in previous posts, but there are dozens upon dozens of clues that either most or all of the broadcast is either completely fabricated illusion and/or altered by the hex from their true nature.

I think it's the exact opposite. I think everything within the hex is 100% real because that's the nature of it, it turns the fantasy into reality. Yes it may not be it's true original form, but the hex rewrites everything like it did with Monica's clothes or the drones. They maintain their original properties like her bulletproof vest, but fundamentally its appearance is now that of some "groovy duds" forever. Once they're altered unless they're altered again within the hex, like every time a decade shifts, that's how everything is going to stay. I don't think they've given us any reason to think otherwise so far.

The mind control is a seperate issue entirely because that seems a lot easier to break. I think it's probably an animate vs. inanimate object thing in that changing a nonliving thing that has no free will permanently is much easier than completely wiping someone's entire history and personality, so they just put a mask over it. At least thats my rationale of the whole thing. (shrug)

35 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:
3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I think it's the exact opposite. I think everything within the hex is 100% real

What's going on in the hex isn't what we see in Wandavision.  What we see in Wandavision is edited.

It's confusing because they're mixing both together.  If you're seeing sitcom tropes, you're seeing the illusory broadcast of Wandavision.