• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New EGS, Expert Grading Service??
3 3

138 posts in this topic

On 2/6/2022 at 10:45 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

This book just sold at auction.  Take a look at the entire top edge and tell me that's even a 9.4 much less a 9.8.

listings%2FgBDPe8pSTdei6A9Df8A9HYGanTp1%2F960cdab9-c316-4b1f-a57b-93a064400ab3?alt=media&token=15ec3de9-3d40-4828-8e0b-5792002f5cbc

Yes that is a horrible grade, but based on what we are seeing in the CGC QC thread can you honestly say CGC wouldn't have given it a 9.8 as well?

On 2/7/2022 at 12:08 PM, media_junkie said:

Yes that is a horrible grade, but based on what we are seeing in the CGC QC thread can you honestly say CGC wouldn't have given it a 9.8 as well?

With 99% certainty, yeah. There are issues with CGC for sure. Probably more than there used to be. But I’m still convinced that they do their job well overall. I may be wearing my rose-colored glasses though.

I'm going to guess that the "Covid Era" books from CGC could see having a drop in desirability 

Since you can see when a book is graded, I will not be surprised if in the future, say 5-10 years from now, these books will have a stigma attached to them and possibly go for cheaper than, if and its a big if, CGC quality manages to skyrocket in 5 years 

On 2/7/2022 at 1:48 PM, Lord Gemini said:

With 99% certainty, yeah. There are issues with CGC for sure. Probably more than there used to be. But I’m still convinced that they do their job well overall. I may be wearing my rose-colored glasses though.

Yeah, I agree with you.  The sample size on CGC is enormous, and the QC thread is highlighting a relatively tiny percentage of that sample.  That's not to say there aren't serious problems on some of those books, but again -- very small percentage of the overall volume.

On 2/7/2022 at 1:08 PM, media_junkie said:

hard to argue your point especially with that first batch of gift grade Promise collection books

On 2/7/2022 at 1:43 PM, Junkdrawer said:

If the slabs can be opened then what’s to stop someone from putting a lower grade book in its place. Fools and their money. I don’t feel bad. :banana:

Yup 

On 2/7/2022 at 2:43 PM, Junkdrawer said:

If the slabs can be opened then what’s to stop someone from putting a lower grade book in its place. Fools and their money. I don’t feel bad. :banana:

Yes. That aspect in particular makes zero sense.

This prompted me to take a look at a couple of the less well-known grading services, just out of curiosity. Cripes. How hard is it to make a decent label? Even the best competition (that is well-known around here) has an eyesore for a label.

On 2/7/2022 at 1:52 PM, The Meta said:

I'm going to guess that the "Covid Era" books from CGC could see having a drop in desirability 

Since you can see when a book is graded, I will not be surprised if in the future, say 5-10 years from now, these books will have a stigma attached to them and possibly go for cheaper than, if and its a big if, CGC quality manages to skyrocket in 5 years 

I can see the invisible books holding their value!  Promise!  (:

On 2/7/2022 at 1:52 PM, The Meta said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if comic encapsulation goes the way of the dodo in 5-10 years 

On 2/8/2022 at 10:40 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if comic encapsulation goes the way of the dodo in 5-10 years 

From boom to bust in just 5-10 years, hey? That'd certainly be something. 

On 2/8/2022 at 8:13 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

From boom to bust in just 5-10 years, hey? That'd certainly be something. 

No more slabbed books if everyone is afraid to submit them due to risk of damage.  And it seems as though the grades are getting to be  hit or miss at best.   5-10 years is a long time.  I guess it depends on whether or not CGC can steer their ship away from the iceberg. 

On 2/8/2022 at 5:40 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I'm not sure on that, but yeah, I can see it waning