• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New EGS, Expert Grading Service??
3 3

138 posts in this topic

On 2/8/2022 at 11:17 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

No more slabbed books if everyone is afraid to submit them due to risk of damage.  And it seems as though the grades are getting to be  hit or miss at best.   5-10 years is a long time.  I guess it depends on whether or not CGC can steer their ship away from the iceberg. 

I reckon there'll always be fresh meat for Moderns, but the older, wiser collectors will certainly back off. That or there'll be drastic changed forced at CGC..... yeah, yeah, what a stretch. 

On 2/8/2022 at 8:24 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I reckon there'll always be fresh meat for Moderns, but the older, wiser collectors will certainly back off. That or there'll be drastic changed forced at CGC..... yeah, yeah, what a stretch. 

I feel like the raw book is going to make a serious comeback.

On 2/8/2022 at 6:28 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I feel like the raw book is going to make a serious comeback.

Not so sure

A lot more newcomers who refuse to comprehend the market they are getting into.

Grading makes it much simpler for them

On 2/8/2022 at 7:40 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if comic encapsulation goes the way of the dodo in 5-10 years 

I doubt it. Judging from many of the books I see slabbed these days, many newer collectors see slabbing (and pressing) as an essential part of the collecting routine, regardless of the value of the book. No different than buying a mylar was 20 years ago.

Just check out the videos on YouTube that compare the grading services. It's evident that "how nice the slab and label look" are the primary criteria for many of the people making these videos. :facepalm:

On 2/8/2022 at 11:28 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

I doubt it. Judging from many of the books I see slabbed these days, many newer collectors see slabbing (and pressing) as an essential part of the collecting routine, regardless of the value of the book. No different than buying a mylar was 20 years ago.

Just check out the videos on YouTube that compare the grading services. It's evident that "how nice the slab and label look" are the primary criteria for many of the people making these videos. :facepalm:

That last bit is worth digging into a little bit.  I will freely admit that I prefer the new CGC label to either of the two older generations, and I loathe the old labels.  I wouldn't make my purchase decision based on that, but I would definitely choose the new label among two books that are otherwise identical.  Which, let's face it, most modern 9.8s are.

When dealing with books that exist in very large quantity in the market, once you get past making sure the corners haven't been dinged inside the case, and differences in centering, the label becomes the only distinguishing feature between two 9.8 WPs (or, most of the time, two 9.6 WPs).

On 2/8/2022 at 10:09 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

That last bit is worth digging into a little bit.  I will freely admit that I prefer the new CGC label to either of the two older generations, and I loathe the old labels.  I wouldn't make my purchase decision based on that, but I would definitely choose the new label among two books that are otherwise identical.  Which, let's face it, most modern 9.8s are.

When dealing with books that exist in very large quantity in the market, once you get past making sure the corners haven't been dinged inside the case, and differences in centering, the label becomes the only distinguishing feature between two 9.8 WPs (or, most of the time, two 9.6 WPs).

Thats funny because I hate the new label but like the new cases lol

The label is bland, and the grading sketchy at times, but Halo certainly has the best cases.

You could drive a damn tank over them, and they wouldn't break or split open.

If they improved their standards of consistency I can see them growing very nicely in Australia ,New Zealand and SE Asia.

Fair bit of business to be had in this neck of the woods.

On 2/8/2022 at 2:29 PM, Beige said:

The label is bland, and the grading sketchy at times, but Halo certainly has the best cases.

If they improved their standards of consistency I can see them growing very nicely in Australia ,New Zealand and SE Asia.

I would very much like to see a tank drive over one of their cases

On 2/8/2022 at 3:43 PM, The Meta said:

I would very much like to see a tank drive over one of their cases

64h688.gif.7d1d25d749609d9231d085a9bf3c5b89.gif

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 2/8/2022 at 4:02 PM, mattn792 said:

Based upon what?  To me, this is the equivalent of saying VHS is going to make a serious come back.

I'd be careful, vinyl came back

On 2/8/2022 at 5:02 PM, mattn792 said:

Based upon what?  To me, this is the equivalent of saying VHS is going to make a serious come back.

:baiting:

VHS.thumb.jpg.df405de3a6bb07f5e1d913f0d53167c7.jpg

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 2/8/2022 at 3:29 PM, Beige said:

I again Know a friend that has had some success with that conversion table. Still that fact you have to sit on it for so long just to justify doing something to gain some perspective, has me. :insane:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 2/9/2022 at 10:23 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I again Know a friend that has had some success with that conversion table. Still that fact you have to sit on it for so long just to justify doing something to gain some perspective, has me. :insane:

(shrug)

On 2/8/2022 at 6:23 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

1B1C432C-BF37-41BD-B342-FB3B0C15EC7C.gif.339d288d7294790091914ac05d478436.gif

On 2/8/2022 at 5:55 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well his plan, that I should have mentioned in the post, was to trade off for cgc slabs after buying halo. 

On 2/8/2022 at 5:56 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

1B1C432C-BF37-41BD-B342-FB3B0C15EC7C.gif.339d288d7294790091914ac05d478436.gif

Rightly so (thumbsu