• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen Books - Harley Yee - Berkeley
3 3

210 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, RCheli said:

The law does not say that in the least. If you steal something below $950, it's a misdemeanor, not a felony. You can still get arrested and charged and penalized. 

Because it's not a felony, you cannot be put into state prison, but you can still be jailed for 6 to 12 months. For some, of course, you can get probation and a fine; but a lot of felonies are bargained down so that people don't get prison time. This law also doesn't apply to people with previous convictions for severe or chronic run ins with the law.

There is the law and then there is reality.  In reality it is now a low priority crime and not pursued by the police given other priorities.

1 hour ago, D84 said:

That's the one!

I lived in Burbank for 19 years, and never went there. Funny how that is. Drove past it probably thousands of times. Across the street, there's a place called Alfredo's, little Mexican shack, almost connected to the IHOP next door...I used to eat there once in a while. Excellent Mexican food. Spent a lifetime in Market City Cafe on the other side of the mall (Palm and San Fernando.)

1 hour ago, D84 said:

That's the one!

Harry’s is OK, we’ll try Frank’s next time you’re in town. :foryou:

Harley is one of the hardest working guys in the hobby, I picked up some nice books from him at WonderCon, very sorry he has to go through this grief.

16 hours ago, lizards2 said:
16 hours ago, comicjack said:
23 hours ago, lizards2 said:

People ruin everything.

Yeah look what their doing to this world lol

I think the world is actively engaging in measures to rid itself of a few of us...., 

It's the only way to keep the human population in check.  Heck, Thanos had to do it too! 

9 minutes ago, RCheli said:

The only thing this changed was trying to keep people out of prison, which is overcrowded and expensive ($64k per year per inmate in California).

Bean counting is a myopic way to look at the problem - criminal conduct and victimizing others has to have commensurate consequences otherwise we are no longer a nation of laws. The human cost to innocents can rise above mere dollars and cents.

It’s not really an economic issue per se, but a failure of leadership issue. 

Speaking of the homeless, it seems it has spiked up big time.  Practically in every freeway exit I always see a homeless person with a cardboard sign asking for money.  A lot of the busy streets are littered with tents, sleeping bags, shopping carts on the sidewalk and such.  Doesn't matter if the area is lower or higher class, it's everywhere.  

5 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Speaking of the homeless, it seems it has spiked up big time.  Practically in every freeway exit I always see a homeless person with a cardboard sign asking for money.  A lot of the busy streets are littered with tents, sleeping bags, shopping carts on the sidewalk and such.  Doesn't matter if the area is lower or higher class, it's everywhere.  

I saw one a week ago that was a real novelty - no dog in sight.

33 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Bean counting is a myopic way to look at the problem - criminal conduct and victimizing others has to have commensurate consequences otherwise we are no longer a nation of laws. The human cost to innocents can rise above mere dollars and cents.

It’s not really an economic issue per se, but a failure of leadership issue. 

The prison system in this country -- the over-incarceration of individuals -- is damaging on levels that go well beyond economic. The US jails more people per capita than any other country in the world, so I don't know how you can think that we are living in a nation without laws. And what is a commensurate consequence for robbing someone of $50? 

The failure of leadership is in the fact that 75% of people currently in local jails are there before even being convicted (bail is a ridiculous concept that has to be eradicated). 

14 minutes ago, RCheli said:

The prison system in this country -- the over-incarceration of individuals -- is damaging on levels that go well beyond economic. The US jails more people per capita than any other country in the world, so I don't know how you can think that we are living in a nation without laws. And what is a commensurate consequence for robbing someone of $50? 

The failure of leadership is in the fact that 75% of people currently in local jails are there before even being convicted (bail is a ridiculous concept that has to be eradicated). 

You're dancing over and around the politics line, which is not allowed on this board.

15 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You're dancing over and around the politics line, which is not allowed on this board.

I will stop. I felt I needed to comment because when people post things that are patently false to help them with their own narrative, I feel I have to correct it. You, of all people, should understand a driving need to correct falsehoods or statements that can't be backed up with facts.

Just now, RCheli said:
17 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I will stop. I felt I needed to comment because when people post things that are patently false to help them with their own narrative, I feel I have to correct it. You, of all people, should understand a driving need to correct falsehoods or statements that can't be backed up with facts.

Sure...when you're dealing with actual facts, rather than opinions. That wasn't the case here.

16 hours ago, batman_fan said:

The probability of them doing any time is zero.  CA decriminalized theft below $950 which means if you can grab it and get away from store clerks and security you are home free.  Catching the thieves is not an option for cops since worst case it is a ticket.

This is insane! 

3 minutes ago, RCheli said:
7 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Sure...when you're dealing with actual facts, rather than opinions. That wasn't the case here.

My initial response was replying to an absolute falsehood:

The probability of them doing any time is zero.  CA decriminalized theft below $950 which means if you can grab it and get away from store clerks and security you are home free.  Catching the thieves is not an option for cops since worst case it is a ticket.

If anything, that created a false narrative that I felt needed to be checked. 

The inclusion of political opinions aren't necessary to correct that "absolute falsehood." 

Is there a lesson to be learned (even for the smaller Con dealers) from the horrible experience.  I know I've stopped to grab a bite to eat while driving back up north from a Con and all my boxes where in the back of my SUV.  I did bring in the big ticket books into my room when I stopped overnight but didn't even think about the risk of theft while having dinner.  Are we to the point of needing to leave people in vans when people run into grab a bite to eat?