• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen Books - Harley Yee - Berkeley
3 3

210 posts in this topic

In January 2019, there was an average of 56 reported car breakins per day in the City of San Francisco.  Several years ago, I was having a windshield replaced due to cracking.  In the short time that my windshield was replaced, two people came in with broken side windows.

In 2017, there were 31,000 reported car breakins.  Please note that I said reported, not actual.  So about one reported  breakin per 29 people in San Francisco.  I see broken auto glass every day.  I keep my car in a locked garage.

Hopefully, Harley can recover his books.

Not that this is anywhere near the value of the books or the same circumstance but my wife's car was broken into some years ago and the degenerates completely stripped her car of anything valuable.  We've never felt so violated, however since then we've grown an intolerance for thieves and people of that ilk.  It's seemingly impossible to find 10 people, consecutively, that are good people through and through. 

Image result for dwight schrute we need a new plague

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

My question is, how did the thieves know that Harley has something valuable inside his vehicle?  Did the vehicle have his dealer name on it "Harley Yee Rare Comics" or something like that?  If so, then he was broadcasting out publicly that he is a dealer of valuable comics. Was he followed after the show? I'm hoping there is some sort of security cameras that may have caught what had happened that may lead to identify these scumbags.  

That's a lot of books stolen from him.  Really hope he gets all of them back :wishluck:

I was at the show working CW's booth and I saw Harley leave in a white SUV (rental car I assume) after packing up. I suspect the thieves were scoping out the con and followed him to the restaurant (I believe that is where the incident occured). He texted me and said they took the case containing the best books (AF15 CGC 4.5, etc). :frustrated:. I hope he is made whole on this terrible situation. 

2 hours ago, blazingbob said:

All we need is a Joe Pesci of the comic business to get the word out.  There was a few jokes made at C2E2 that we could take the guy down to a "room" for awhile.  

I'm your guy Bob. They don't call me the exterminator for nothing. :devil:

More money more problems. The age of innocence in this hobby is over.  As the price of comics soars, so will the potential juice for theft.  Unfortunately Harley and many of the other well known big dealers are going to have to be a lot more careful (though insurance always helps if they pay).  Sad to say but that list of stolen comics looks like a top 20 of the hottest comics out there.  Where we see fun nostalgic paper, thieves see gold and the potential.  Gotta start treating those babies like you would gold bullion or fat stacks of benjies.  Would you leave a bunch of gold bullion in your car at a precious metals show?  Probably not.  Not trying to blame Harley here but all dealers need to be more vigilant and careful going forward at all stages.  Those big time dealers like New Force, Harley, Dale Roberts, Bob Storms, Reece, etc -anyone known for bringing quality stuff needs to treat their whole con operation like an inconspicuous low key armored car bank transfer if they aren't already.  Gotta carefully plan out the transport and security from home storage vault to loading dock, to setup, during the con, to nightly teardown, to overnight storage, to return home.  The problem is that it sounds like this was a crew that might have been staking out the loading/unloading so it's going to be harder to keep things hidden.  I wonder if the con facilities are doing more to ensure a safer and less conspicuous load/unload process where the dealers can safely do so in a secured section of the convention with less prying eyes. I hate fearmongering but it really is only a matter of time before we see more brazen daylight holdups and jackings during transport or loading/unloading. 

If I had to guess, those crooks were probably staking him out for a bit and knew that he would be storing the comics in his van and knew it was his van.  Glad they caught the guys and hope they make an example out of them. 

24 minutes ago, wormboy said:

It was one of the books recovered when they caught the thieves.

I miss read what was written and it looks like you were right.  The recovered books were still listed in the stolen books.

Edited by 1Cool

5 minutes ago, justafan said:

More money more problems. The age of innocence in this hobby is over.  As the price of comics soars, so will the potential juice for theft.  Unfortunately Harley and many of the other well known big dealers are going to have to be a lot more careful (though insurance always helps if they pay).  Sad to say but that list of stolen comics looks like a top 20 of the hottest comics out there.  Where we see fun nostalgic paper, thieves see gold and the potential.  Gotta start treating those babies like you would gold bullion or fat stacks of benjies.  Would you leave a bunch of gold bullion in your car at a precious metals show?  Probably not.  Not trying to blame Harley here but all dealers need to be more vigilant and careful going forward at all stages.  Those big time dealers like New Force, Harley, Dale Roberts, Bob Storms, Reece, etc -anyone known for bringing quality stuff needs to treat their whole con operation like an inconspicuous low key armored car bank transfer if they aren't already.  Gotta carefully plan out the transport and security from home storage vault to loading dock, to setup, during the con, to nightly teardown, to overnight storage, to return home.  The problem is that it sounds like this was a crew that might have been staking out the loading/unloading so it's going to be harder to keep things hidden.  I wonder if the con facilities are doing more to ensure a safer and less conspicuous load/unload process where the dealers can safely do so in a secured section of the convention with less prying eyes. I hate fearmongering but it really is only a matter of time before we see more brazen daylight holdups and jackings during transport or loading/unloading. 

If I had to guess, those crooks were probably staking him out for a bit and knew that he would be storing the comics in his van and knew it was his van.  Glad they caught the guys and hope they make an example out of them. 

Well, as I oversee the load I and load out process at Berkeley Comic Show, I can tell you there was no one staking out the load in or out. If I don’t know who you are I ask who you are. I suppose someone could have been parked down the street, but the lot for load in is behind the building, separate from the lot for attendees, so all the spaces at the back were dealers, and I watched them all load in and out. 

I also personally checked in every single guest, and I honestly don’t remember any twitchy criminal types. Not that you can always spot them, but I usually have a pretty good nose for that kind of thing. 

In any case, it’s a :censored: thing to happen and I really hope Harley gets every single book back.

Obvious rental vehicle (nobody drives an elongated SUV like that in Berkeley) at a tourist restaurant in a basically deserted,  crime ridden area of town (the marina) just off the highway (for easy getaway) in an area (SF/Berkeley/Oakland) that is utterly plagued by car break ins where they just grab the tourist suitcases and backpacks and take off in two minutes. And done by guys who have priors for this exact crime.

As is very typical in cases like this, they take it to a store the next day and get caught. Non-comic people have no idea how recognizable the expensive books can be.

6 minutes ago, comicjack said:
6 hours ago, lizards2 said:

People ruin everything.

Yeah look what their doing to this world lol

I think the world is actively engaging in measures to rid itself of a few of us...., 

17 minutes ago, comicjack said:
21 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I think the world is actively engaging in measures to rid itself of a few of us...., 

I'm with you on that one 

We can all try and laugh a little for our own spirits :foryou:

"PEOPLE" lol:sorry:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

That's really terrible.

I heard security is weak at some of these shows too. At Toronto con a $22,000 book was stolen. At least with CGC there is a certification number and books can be tracked. Dealers should have a stolen alert system on their sites. Doubtful a thief would try to sell it publicly,probably try to deal with a fence unfortunately, but the majority of crooks are stupid so if they do decide to go public with the comics they'll get pinched quick.

7 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Dude, it’s California - the crooks are just as likely to get coloring books and rehabilatation therapy as they are any jail time.

That is why I left CA, sadly CO is heading the same way.  Denver is looking at passing a new law that allows people to “camp” on public sidewalks, parks, and schools

Unfortunately, larceny occurs everywhere in the US.  These are the ten states with the highest larceny rate per capita:

1. New Mexico
  2. Alaska
  3. Louisiana
  4. South Carolina
  5. Washington
  6. Oregon
  7. Arkansas
  8. Arizona
  9. Utah
  10. Tennessee

Edited by namisgr