• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+ LOKI (2021)
12 12

794 posts in this topic

Kevin Feige Promises Disney+ Shows Are Directly Connected to Marvel Cinematic Universe

These will be Marvel Studios productions," Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige told ComicBook.com. "They will be entirely interwoven with both the current MCU, the past MCU, and the future of the MCU."

It's a perfect description, given the rumored details of Hiddleston's Loki series exploring different time periods in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as it follows the God of Mischief. A report from the Hollywood Reporter indicated that Loki will take place throughout human history. "Sources say the show will follow Loki as the trickster and shapeshifter pops up throughout human history as unlikely influencer on historical events," THR stated in the report.

As for when the official details of the Loki series or other shows heading to Disney+ will be announced, it will likely come around the time of San Diego Comic Con as Feige admits the secrets will be kept until after Avengers: Endgame and Spider-Man: Far From Home hit theaters.

"As we've been doing for years, aren't going to announce anything post Avengers: Endgame or Spider-Man: Far From Home until post Endgame and Spider-Man," Feige said in the same interview.

Edited by Bosco685

Marvel’s god of mischief has a showrunner.

Loki, one of the first series that Marvel Studios will be making for Disney’s streaming service, Disney+, has landed Michael Waldron as its point person. Waldron will write the pilot, act as show creator and exec produce the series.

Tom Hiddleston is expected to star in the series, reprising the fan-favorite character he first played in 2011’s Thor.

The character apparently met his demise in last year’s Avengers: Infinity War, even before the census-altering dematerialization of half the universe, but Marvel may have found a run around that little impediment.

Sources say the show will follow Loki as the trickster and shape-shifter pops up throughout human history as an unlikely influencer on historical events.

Directors Joe and Anthony Russo addressed the scene when Loki disappeared with the Tesseract, effectively changing the fate of the Space Stone and the God of Mischief in one fell swoop. The two confirmed that, yes, Loki did in fact create a brand new branch of the multiverse with his action.

"The intent was that he was going to correct the past timelines at the point that the stones left," Joe Russo explained to Business Insider. "Loki, when he teleports away with the Time Stone, would create his own timeline. It gets very complicated, but it would be impossible for [Cap] to rectify the timeline unless he found Loki. The minute that Loki does something as dramatic as take the Space Stone, he creates a branched reality."

Added Anthony Russo, "We're dealing with this idea of multiverses and branched realities, so there are many realities."

And that's the TV show comes about.

39 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

This whole thing is developing the stink of the comics with infinite timelines , realities etc. Nothing made my interest in comics die harder than destroying the continuity that had been built up over decades. I'm old and cranky.

agreed. this is my concerns as well. the further removed from the original reality and timeline, the more disconnected the shows become and the less it holds my interest. plus it's just too crazy trying to keep all the funky realities together. this is what ultimately turned me off from Marvels Agents of Shield. for a group so entrenched in the MCU with early appearances from Nick Fury, and Sif, it kept me for a while. But the less connected it became the less I cared about those characters. I get that the television group is separate from the MCU group but it is a huge missed opportunity keeping it that way.

even if Lokis show is still tied into the MCU, the multiple realities thing becomes too much of a stretch for me to care about.

Tom Hiddleston Will Reportedly Return As Loki After His Disney Plus Series

If you’ll recall, during Iron Man and Ant-Man’s mission to retrieve the Tesseract, they run into some trouble and Loki manages to snatch the Space Stone and flee, never to be seen again for the rest of the film. But what does this mean for the future of the character? Is he alive in the prime timeline, or perhaps somewhere else in the multiverse?

The answers to those questions still aren’t entirely clear, but a source has informed We Got This Covered that Tom Hiddleston will indeed return to reprise the role at some point. While he’s expected to be involved in the Loki TV series on Disney Plus, probably as the narrator of the show, our intel says that he’ll be appearing in the MCU again after that wraps up.

At this point, it’s unclear whether he’ll return in a movie or perhaps another TV series, but apparently, Marvel wants to explore that aforementioned alternate timeline, where the God of Mischief escaped with the Space Stone and never went on to redeem himself, partially in Thor: The Dark World and fully in Ragnarok.

I was wondering if this was going to be a once-and-done production.

On 5/15/2019 at 7:31 PM, justafan said:

agreed. this is my concerns as well. the further removed from the original reality and timeline, the more disconnected the shows become and the less it holds my interest. plus it's just too crazy trying to keep all the funky realities together. this is what ultimately turned me off from Marvels Agents of Shield. for a group so entrenched in the MCU with early appearances from Nick Fury, and Sif, it kept me for a while. But the less connected it became the less I cared about those characters. I get that the television group is separate from the MCU group but it is a huge missed opportunity keeping it that way.

even if Lokis show is still tied into the MCU, the multiple realities thing becomes too much of a stretch for me to care about.

It could become a mess if Marvel Studios lets it. I would think, though, that it's not that easy to jump from universe to universe like riding the subway. Perhaps it may become an issue on purpose, and Marvel fixes it with a Secret War/Crisis on Infinite Earths inspired event movie to repair the timeline of the universe.

Perhaps the alternate reality will be how Marvel Studios introduces a Magus.

48 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It could become a mess if Marvel Studios lets it. I would think, though, that it's not that easy to jump from universe to universe like riding the subway. Perhaps it may become an issue on purpose, and Marvel fixes it with a Secret War/Crisis on Infinite Earths inspired event movie to repair the timeline of the universe.

Perhaps the alternate reality will be how Marvel Studios introduces a Magus.

they've got a lot of potential to rectify and reconnect everything if they do it right.  I just hope whatever they do, they do it well.  If done well and the stories draw viewers in, it may not matter if they're disconnected.  Agents of Shield just didn't have enough of a good formula to keep me into it without it's tie ins to the MCU.

He cannot exist in the Earth-616 timeline unless he Planeswalks the multiverse. He wouldn't be the same Loki, though. He'd be Earth-616 circa 2012 + New-Experience Loki.

I thought that Loki's permanent death early in Infinity War was perfect. Thanos enacted the revenge that The Other promised. "There is no barren moon, no crevice where he can't find you."

I'm not a fan, at all, of dead characters returning via the multiverse. With the Fox merger, I am all-for new and powerful characters crossing over.

On 5/29/2019 at 10:47 AM, TwoPiece said:

He cannot exist in the Earth-616 timeline unless he Planeswalks the multiverse. He wouldn't be the same Loki, though. He'd be Earth-616 circa 2012 + New-Experience Loki.

I thought that Loki's permanent death early in Infinity War was perfect. Thanos enacted the revenge that The Other promised. "There is no barren moon, no crevice where he can't find you."

I'm not a fan, at all, of dead characters returning via the multiverse. With the Fox merger, I am all-for new and powerful characters crossing over.

Loki is too big a character to die from such an undignified death. He also promised “the sun will shine upon us again.” A rumor from the show is that Loki is in Hel. 

22 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Loki is too big a character to die from such an undignified death. He also promised “the sun will shine upon us again.” A rumor from the show is that Loki is in Hel. 

Not sure how Loki's death can be described as "undignified". He did what he was never willing to do before - sacrifice his selfish pursuit of power to save his brother, and then tried to make good by his misdeeds by attacking Thanos himself. After what happened in New York, and the certain threat upon his life by Thanos and The Other, he knew there was no way he was making it out alive. Unfortunately, in saving his brother and proving himself to be more than just the God of Mischief, he periled the universe. Dying to conceal The Tesseract was the 'greater good'.

"...pops up throughout human history..."

Does that mean he's constantly travelling off-Earth? The Tesseract doesn't grant time travel. And, granted, Loki is a god who lives for centuries.

Are they gonna fix that logo that was shared at SDCC, though?