• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+ LOKI (2021)
12 12

794 posts in this topic

It was great to see Tom Hiddleston as Loki again. Though a different take on the character when he realizes his situation. And especially when he realizes first-hand how his actions have personal consequences.

Owen Wilson is not his typical 'dude' self in this one. Which may turn out to be something different in the MCU we needed.

We'll see how this progresses. It has good potential.

1 hour ago, fett said:

kickin first episode-gonna love this series :) went by waaayy too fast.  Written by Michael Waldren. Co Executive producer with Hiddleston

I did notice that. A nice touch since he has made the character so wildly popular.

:applause:

This episode left me feeling unimpressed. (Spoilers below.)

Spoiler

A third of this episode was clips from the movies. And another third was already covered in the trailer. 
All the right building blocks seem to be there, but there wasn't much sense of urgency or narrative drive. It was more a psychoanalysis of Loki as a character, which, I guess is interesting to some degree. But I already know the character well since we experienced his full arc in the movies. 
I noticed the homages to Mad Men and Brazil. There are probably more. It's cute, but, again, I'd like to see them blazing new trails rather than referencing other stuff. It feels like a crutch.
(And we just had WandaVision, which was all about homages.)
So, yeah, seemed like a retread of stuff I've already seen. 

Question:

Spoiler

What was the meaning of seeing Asgard out of the window when Loki and Mobi were walking down the hallway. Maybe I missed a bit of dialogue that explains it. Does the TVA HQ travel through time and space like the Tardis?

Edited by adampasz

10 minutes ago, adampasz said:

Hide contents

A third of this episode was clips from the movies. And another third was already covered in the trailer. 
All the right building blocks seem to be there, but there wasn't much sense of urgency or narrative drive. It was more a psychoanalysis of Loki as a character, which, I guess is interesting to some degree. But I already know the character well since we already experienced his full arc in the movies. 
I noticed the homages to Mad Men and Brazil. There are probably more. It's cute, but, again, I'd like to see them blazing new trails rather than referencing other stuff. It feels like a crutch.
So, yeah, just seemed like a retread of stuff I've already seen. 

Question:

Hide contents

What was the meaning of seeing Asgard out of the window when Loki and Mobi were walking down the hallway. Maybe I missed a bit of dialogue that explains it. Does the TVA HQ travel through time and space like the Tardis?

I'm actually getting more of a Catch Me If You Can (Tom Hanks, Leo DiCaprio) or 48 Hours (Nick Nolte, Eddie Murphy) vibe, as in the cop-criminal love-hate relationship so far.

What Mobius and Loki are walking past is the world of the TVA or this world of existence outside of the normal Multiverse.

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm actually getting more of a Catch Me If You Can (Tom Hanks, Leo DiCaprio) or 48 Hours (Nick Nolte, Eddie Murphy) vibe, as in the cop-criminal love-hate relationship so far.

What Mobius and Loki are walking past is the world of the TVA or this world of existence outside of the normal Multiverse.

So is TVA a whole planet? And it exists outside the multiverse like Apokolips in the DCU?

3 minutes ago, adampasz said:

So is TVA a whole planet? And it exists outside the multiverse like Apokolips in the DCU?

I'm not sure what the TVA is exactly in the MCU. But that metropolis that Loki overlooks with awe from the walkway is the world of the TVA, either way.

According to the comics, the TVA exists in the Null Time Zone of the Multiverse.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

1 hour ago, adampasz said:

Hide contents

All the right building blocks seem to be there, but there wasn't much sense of urgency or narrative drive. It was more a psychoanalysis of Loki as a character, which, I guess is interesting to some degree. But I already know the character well since we experienced his full arc in the movies. 
So, yeah, seemed like a retread of stuff I've already seen. 

Question:

Hide contents

I felt the same way. Not sure if I care enough to watch the second one.

I thought the ep was great and can't wait to see more.  Hiddleston was on point and proved that, like Hugh Jackman to Wolverine, no one else can play Loki.

I very much enjoy many Marvel Studios productions. Really appreciate at times how it ensures to build upon a production so as to deliver a follow-on new production. And I kind of enjoyed Loki Episode 1, and seeing Tom Hiddleston back in his evil saddle.

But even with that, this first episode wasn't extremely groundbreaking. It was a show intro like others with familiar characters and comic book backstory details that we love to hear about. But nothing I would consider a massive shift from Marvel Studios doing more of the same. Not yet anyway.

And like was noted, this utilized previous movie scenes to drive the story. So just refreshing people's minds what took place before so they can tell a continuous of those stories in a different setting what happened to Loki.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I very much enjoy many Marvel Studios productions. Really appreciate at times how it ensures to build upon a production so as to deliver a follow-on new production. And I kind of enjoyed Loki Episode 1, and seeing Tom Hiddleston back in his evil saddle.

But even with that, this first episode wasn't extremely groundbreaking. It was a show intro like others with familiar characters and comic book backstory details that we love to hear about. But nothing I would consider a massive shift from Marvel Studios doing more of the same. Not yet anyway.

And like was noted, this utilized previous movie scenes to drive the story. So just refreshing people's minds what took place before so they can tell a continuous of those stories in a different setting what happened to Loki.

My concern after the first episode is that will only be enough story for a 2.5 hour movie, stretched to 6 episodes, like Falcon and the Winter Soldier.