• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR 4: LOVE AND THUNDER directed by Taika Waititi (11/5/21)
9 9

960 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2022 at 10:19 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Looks like Variety is the original source for the other articles.  

Thanks. (thumbsu

-J.

I went back to check the other two articles since you noted this.

• Collider - has no mention of Variety as a source
  • IGN - only references Variety as a source to report the opening week results

Where did you read they referenced Variety for the $250M production budget? And again, even theNumbers is excluded as I shared. Was this just an assumption on your part?

On 7/26/2022 at 9:48 AM, Bosco685 said:

I went back to check the other two articles since you noted this.

• Collider - has no mention of Variety as a source
  • IGN - only references Variety as a source to report the opening week results

Where did you read they referenced Variety for the $250M production budget? And again, even theNumbers is excluded as I shared. Was this just an assumption on your part?

I'm trying to discern the original source for the budget.  The other articles appear to paraphrase Variety.  

-J.

On 7/26/2022 at 12:57 PM, Jaydogrules said:

I'm trying to discern the original source for the budget.  The other articles appear to paraphrase Variety.  

-J.

Because '$250 million' has a uniqueness in how it is typed out?

On 7/26/2022 at 12:58 PM, Bosco685 said:

Because '$250 million' has a uniqueness in how it is typed out?

Plus the $100 to $150 million in marketing. So they are in at least $350 to $400 million.  I also read a fairly good market breakdown based on AMC's Financials indicating the average movie keeps 55% domestic and about 43% international from reported box office numbers.  That international does not include China.  

Domestic 276 x 0.55 = 152

International 322 x 0.43 = 139

So this movie has brought in $291 million.  Still has a bit to go to make money. This also seems to line up fairly well with the roughly 2.5 times budget multiplier method.

Even using a more generous amount kept of 60% domestic and 50% international (have seen some sites use these amounts), that is 166 + 161 = 327 million.

By whatever numbers you believe LaT has not really made money yet.  It will. But, it is not exactly a big winner.

Edited by drotto

On 7/26/2022 at 10:30 AM, drotto said:

Plus the $100 to $150 million in marketing. So they are in at least $350 to $400 million.  I also read a fairly good market breakdown based on AMC's Financials indicating the average movie keeps 55% domestic and about 43% international from reported box office numbers.  That international does not include China.  

Domestic 276 x 0.55 = 152

International 322 x 0.43 = 139

So this movie has brought in $291 million.  Still has a bit to go to make money. This also seems to line up fairly well with the roughly 2.5 times budget multiplier method.

Even using a more generous amount kept of 60% domestic and 50% international (have seen some sites use these amounts), that is 166 + 161 = 327 million.

By whatever numbers you believe LaT has not really made money yet.  It will. But, it is not exactly a big winner.

The domestic usually averages out to about 50% over the life of a film with any kind of legs.  

International is pretty much a flat 40%.

China is 25%, if you can even get a release there.  

There's no chance "only" $100MM was spent to market Thor 4 worldwide.

-J.

On 7/26/2022 at 2:44 PM, Jaydogrules said:

The domestic usually averages out to about 50% over the life of a film with any kind of legs.  

International is pretty much a flat 40%.

China is 25%, if you can even get a release there.  

There's no chance "only" $100MM was spent to market Thor 4 worldwide.

-J.

I am fairly confident they have spend $400 on Thor including marketing. They need to hit at least $625 to $650 million before they are comfortably making money.

Again to needing to reach $650 million on every film to make money just does not seem sustainable long term.

On 7/26/2022 at 12:47 PM, drotto said:

I am fairly confident they have spend $400 on Thor including marketing. They need to hit at least $625 to $650 million before they are comfortably making money.

Again to needing to reach $650 million on every film to make money just does not seem sustainable long term.

It needs to make more than that to break even theatrically.  

If it makes 300MM domestic (150MM after split and 400MM international (160MM after split) that's only 310MM back  at a 700MM box office.  

This will not make anything theatrically for Disney.  

-J.

OK saw it yesterday. I've read some of these threads so had some insight going into it. 

Overall enjoyed it, let's say a "B," but place it middle to lower half of MCU movies. Seemed almost like two halves, with part one starting off pretty weak and then finishing pretty strong in the second half. I was watching the first half expecting Korg, who started off telling the story, to stop and say something like "Fooled you, now here's the real story."

Was expecting a lot more annoyance from the screaming goats based on reactions but found them not too much. Yes the humor could have been a bit too much but will give it a rewatch when it comes out in 4K and see how I feel then. 

On 7/28/2022 at 2:34 PM, Bosco685 said:

The entity that destroyed a large portion of the remaining Asgardians - including killing Loki in front of Thor - becomes a fun site to celebrate ice cream without any impact to the people that suffered at his hand?

Everyone knows these movies aren't real, right?  

On 7/28/2022 at 5:50 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Everyone knows these movies aren't real, right?  

Yes.

And everyone understands the MCU value proposition was how supposedly these honor the comic characters and lore? Huh? Huh?

:baiting:

On 7/28/2022 at 3:27 PM, Bosco685 said:

Yes.

And everyone understands the MCU value proposition was how supposedly these honor the comic characters and lore? Huh? Huh?

:baiting:

For a quarter of folks that attend the movies, maybe.  Plenty of people who have your expectations attend the movies despite their not meeting those expectations.  Most people who attend the movies don't know anything about the characters prior to "Iron Man" except what the movies or maybe some of the animated series have said about them.  There is zero "value proposition" in appealing to just those familiar with the characters from reading/collecting the comics because it's a small universe.  

On 7/28/2022 at 6:42 PM, MattTheDuck said:

For a quarter of folks that attend the movies, maybe.  Plenty of people who have your expectations attend the movies despite their not meeting those expectations.  Most people who attend the movies don't know anything about the characters prior to "Iron Man" except what the movies or maybe some of the animated series have said about them.  There is zero "value proposition" in appealing to just those familiar with the characters from reading/collecting the comics because it's a small universe.  

Zero value proposition? You noted there is at least 25% (a quarter) that by default will be disappointed. No offense. Though you starting by mocking as if you got something.

Next throughout all the early films it was noted how these films honored Marvel and the characters. Yet you take all that and toss it. And that's not even to address the cookie cutter story concepts. It's just going off the rails. All for goofy excessive humor.

On 7/28/2022 at 2:34 PM, Bosco685 said:

I'll admit it. I finally saw this - thing.

For a franchise that part of the value proposition was how each additional production honored and built upon its predecessors, like Thor: Ragnorak it tossed all that away for the sake of doing its own thing. And much of that to fulfill the comedy style of Taika Waititi. And not even in a good way. An example of 'legacy honor' dismissal has been mentioned already: the Infinity Conez shop.

infinity_icecream.thumb.jpg.6ed14dd2aae69d0297e74f5d72d8e47f.jpg

The entity that destroyed a large portion of the remaining Asgardians - including killing Loki in front of Thor - becomes a fun site to celebrate ice cream without any impact to the people that suffered at his hand? Unfortunately, the MCU counts on people laughing this off and disregarding all the elements that made the MCU special early on. And it is this level of idiocy that by throwing more money to Disney/Marvel Studios, then suck it up: you helped fund this Frankenstein.

Wait... was that ice cream shop actually IN the movie!??

On 7/28/2022 at 4:56 PM, Bosco685 said:

Yup. Brief but enough for WTH to hit anyone that has been along for the entire Infinity Saga.

:facepalm: 

Ha-ha, the thing that destroyed and/or displaced the lives of half the universe and made Tony Stark sacrifice his own life, ha-ha now a funny gag. 

:facepalm: