• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR 4: LOVE AND THUNDER directed by Taika Waititi (11/5/21)
9 9

960 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2022 at 7:35 AM, drotto said:

So for now phase 4 has firmly established there are enough hard core MCU fans that they can put out anything and make about $140 million opening weekend ($290 to $300 WW). Then the now inevitably massive drop. The audience for MCU films is shrinking slowly, and is failing to attract more casual fans. It does not need to be this way.  Top Gun just proved movies can still have legs and through good reviews and most importantly word of mouth can actually grow an audience. 

So, Disney should stop making :censored:? That just might work...

I went into this movie fully prepared for silly.  What I was less prepared for, and somewhat disappointed in, was the massive amount of "plot-handwaving" that just had characters doing things (and getting places) that the director wanted/needed them to.  It just felt extremely lazy to me.  I thought Taika was a bit better than that.     

I tend to nit-pick at movie plotting (even when I'm otherwise enjoying it) which not everyone cares about, so, YMMV on this one.  

On 7/18/2022 at 9:33 AM, chrisco37 said:

1.  Was it woke enough?

2.  Was there humanity?

3.  Was Beta Ray Bill in it?  

i recall valkyrie having a girlfriend mentioned.   zeus wears ladies' tennis skirts.

Edited by Straw-Man

I feel like Marval has already preempted the Beta Ray Bill storyline such that there's no real way to introduce the character anymore (in a way that bears any resemblance at all to the comics, that is).  They already made Stormbreaker, they've done Surtur the fire giant, and they already had Captain America lift Thor's hammer (and now Jane Foster), so that being a special thing is out.  

Basically, Beta Ray Bill in the movies wouldn't be Beta Ray Bill.  He would just be some guy with that name. 

Maybe they could still make it cool.  Stranger things have happened.

Maybe.

On 7/18/2022 at 1:10 PM, Axelrod said:

I feel like Marval has already preempted

Preempted or robbed from Peter to pay Paul. They've done it all across the MCU. What big strong rocky character does Korg look like? D+'s Ms Marvel's powers are a mash-up of Sue Storm's & Reed Richards'. The Illuminati in DS2. These are just the latest examples of MCU autophagy.    

On 7/18/2022 at 1:10 PM, Axelrod said:

I feel like Marval has already preempted the Beta Ray Bill storyline such that there's no real way to introduce the character anymore (in a way that bears any resemblance at all to the comics, that is).  They already made Stormbreaker, they've done Surtur the fire giant, and they already had Captain America lift Thor's hammer (and now Jane Foster), so that being a special thing is out.  

Basically, Beta Ray Bill in the movies wouldn't be Beta Ray Bill.  He would just be some guy with that name. 

Maybe they could still make it cool.  Stranger things have happened.

Maybe.

On 7/18/2022 at 1:41 PM, TupennyConan said:

Preempted or robbed from Peter to pay Paul. They've done it all across the MCU. What big strong rocky character does Korg look like? D+'s Ms Marvel's powers are a mash-up of Sue Storm's & Reed Richards'. The Illuminati in DS2. These are just the latest examples of MCU autophagy.    

Take your Phase IV Bohner Vision and like it!

Bohner_Vision.thumb.PNG.69dad76bab87a8f1cfbc5de6b09c1f7d.PNG

:insane:

On 7/18/2022 at 9:43 AM, Axelrod said:

I went into this movie fully prepared for silly.  What I was less prepared for, and somewhat disappointed in, was the massive amount of "plot-handwaving" that just had characters doing things (and getting places) that the director wanted/needed them to.  It just felt extremely lazy to me.  I thought Taika was a bit better than that.     

I tend to nit-pick at movie plotting (even when I'm otherwise enjoying it) which not everyone cares about, so, YMMV on this one.  

I mentioned something like this earlier in the thread.  By the end of the movie, everyone is able to basically teleport anywhere in the universe whenever they want.  We knew that Stormbreaker made this possible for Thor, but all of the other characters (including Gorr) were traveling massive distances without much explanation.  And the whole Eternity thing raises a ton of questions about why that entity (which is clearly well known to Thor and others) never came up in Endgame when they were desperate for big ideas to fight Thanos.

A tonal shift can be a very effective device, but it was a bit bothersome in Thor since it tended to be a bit clunky. What bothered me the most was the Guns and Roses peppered throughout. It was starting to feel more like a construction site than a superhero movie.

On 7/18/2022 at 7:33 AM, chrisco37 said:

3.  Was Beta Ray Bill in it?  

Were there hints at the end credits that Hercules was going to join with Black Widow, Angel, Ice Man, Ghost Rider to unite next phase of MCU with the 'Champions' team? Spec wants to :wishluck: know.