• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR 4: LOVE AND THUNDER directed by Taika Waititi (11/5/21)
9 9

960 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2022 at 2:20 AM, The Meta said:

Thanos was completely misrepresented. He wasnt altruistic. HE was batmess crazy, worshipping death and hell bent on destroying the ENTIRE universe by becoming  god.

I don't know anything of Wanda from the comics, other than she was first Magnetos daughter and second an Avenger.

As for her portrayal in the movies, she was well done as a tragic character, but her arc isn't fully villainy, its once again anti hero. We are constantly reminded that the love of her life was killed, and she was denied a family. Her own brothers death is glossed over, hardly a footnote, let alone the city she lived and grew up in.

"I'm bad. No wait I found love. No, I'm bad again, oh wait, I've learned how selfish I am, so sorry"

Her character is possibly the most human, and what a regular person would do if they had powers.

Hardly the villain I want. Oh, look, its a reflection, I can relate to it and humanize it.

Tell me the last villain you despised, one that made you SCARED. One that took something you loved away from you, laughing all the while? One you WANTED to see dead, destroyed and were JUSTIFIED in feeling that way because the character was designed that way. Evil. Villainy. 

The definition of what a nemesis IS.

We have yet to see that in our superhero trope because of what I've already outlined.

Here's hoping Kang is the first real, formidable foe the Marvel universe spits out 

Solid points, but your characterization of Wanda here (with which I largely agree) shows that she was well-drawn -- "humanized," "compelling and realistic," as it were, rather than a "buffoon."

If you're going switch tacks from asking for a villain that is - rather than not simply two-dimensional and cartoonish but rather one that is truly scary and pure evil, that's a different kettle of fish.

As far as comic books stories go, my answer for a recent example is easy: Kilgrave/Purple Man in Jessica Jones.

The writers did him dirty in Season 2, but Season 1's portrayal of him, his powers, and his single-minded desire to destroy Jessica Jones made him truly frightening.

And it started with the final scene of the very first episode - with the elevator murders.

That was chilling to watch - especially after we'd been led into a false sense of security/catharsis just minutes before.

On 9/9/2022 at 6:18 AM, Bosco685 said:

If you say so.

It was a weak ending that detracted from wonderful buildup. And defied logic based on the crimes she committed.

Brevity over excessive statements.

?

So you didn't like it because she got away?

Again - they *had* to let her go, lest she simply kill them all.

On 9/9/2022 at 6:35 AM, Gatsby77 said:

?

So you didn't like it because she got away?

Again - they *had* to let her go, lest she simply kill them all.

Is that what it means to be a superhero? Only take on a villain when you can outright safely win.

It was a weak ending once we found out what she did. Disingenuous in its portrayal of the hero's journey when they become the villain.

I started watching this yesterday, what a missed opportunity.

it's really not that bad and underneath the jokes are two very compelling stories that were wasted or washed away with cheap jokes and unnecessary

I'd love them to re-edit this movie and remove some of the jokes

i stopped about 1 hour in because i started watching it late

On 9/9/2022 at 11:05 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I started watching this yesterday, what a missed opportunity.

it's really not that bad and underneath the jokes are two very compelling stories that were wasted or washed away with cheap jokes and unnecessary

I'd love them to re-edit this movie and remove some of the jokes

i stopped about 1 hour in because i started watching it late

This.  I sent a text to @Park with about 35-40 minutes left that said "This Thor movie is absolutely awful. It's almost like a parody of itself."  But then the last half hour delivered a mostly really nice and touching denouement about love and loss and living with both.

On 9/9/2022 at 10:51 AM, bentbryan said:

What a bummer. I tried watching this last night on D+ and am very glad I didn’t waste the time and money going to the theater. Made it about 45 mins then shut it off.

And Helmsworth doesn’t even look remotely excited to be in this film. 

I'm still watching Bobs Burgers

The button is right there, and I go right past it, and watch Bobs Burgers

I liked Ragnarok. It's one of my favorites in the MCU. It's humor was great and I enjoyed the film not taking itself too seriously.

Love & Thunder took those aspects too far and most characters were turned into a joke. It had it's moments but it was a disappointment. I'm glad I didn't spend any money in the theaters on it.

Edited by grendelbo

On 9/9/2022 at 8:11 PM, grendelbo said:

I liked Ragnarok. It's one of my favorites in the MCU. It's humor was great and bi enjoyed the film not taking itself too seriously.

Love & Thunder took those aspects too far and most characters were turned into a joke. It had it's moments but it was a disappointment. I'm glad I didn't spend any money in the theaters on it.

That high? :devil:

On 9/9/2022 at 10:11 PM, grendelbo said:

I liked Ragnarok. It's one of my favorites in the MCU. It's humor was great and I enjoyed the film not taking itself too seriously.

Just watched it last night. This sums it up perfectly.