• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR 4: LOVE AND THUNDER directed by Taika Waititi (11/5/21)
9 9

960 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2022 at 2:21 PM, kimik said:

Sorry, that came across harsher than I intended it to. I meant that I heard your warning from the beginning and agreed with you. I trust your views on films. 

That being said, I am sure I will watch it at some point on D+ just because it is new content. It can't be worse than Reva and Obi-Wan, can it?

Heck, I actually lasted 20 minutes into the Green Knight this past weekend since I had not seen it and figured it could not be as terrible as I heard it was. That was the worst start to a movie I think I have ever seen and I did not bother watching it any further to see if it improved. 

I have not seen the Green Knight. I will watch the first 20 minutes and let you know. lol

On 7/14/2022 at 3:45 PM, Artboy99 said:

I have not seen the Green Knight. I will watch the first 20 minutes and let you know. lol

It might be worth watching the Green Knight before any other film as it will make the second film look like an academy award winner.

Looking at RT, it is funny that it received an 89% score from critics, but the fan score was only 50%. The fans were more accurate, but even that score is too high.

Edited by kimik

The silly director wondered about an accent but not much else. 

Although it wasn’t an easy choice, speaking to Insider, the director said: “We actually talked at length about the accent.” “We wondered if someone did a Greek accent of a Greek god, is it going to be a farce? Will it be too silly?” 

Thor: Russell Crowe Wanted A Greek Accent For Zeus But The Director Wanted British (greekcitytimes.com)

On 7/16/2022 at 11:28 AM, TupennyConan said:

The silly director wondered about an accent but not much else. 

Although it wasn’t an easy choice, speaking to Insider, the director said: “We actually talked at length about the accent.” “We wondered if someone did a Greek accent of a Greek god, is it going to be a farce? Will it be too silly?” 

Thor: Russell Crowe Wanted A Greek Accent For Zeus But The Director Wanted British (greekcitytimes.com)

He also made sure to dress Russell Crowe in a tutu and make him do a stupid prance down some steps for a laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvEF55BiVZM

It is a perfect example of taking the viewer out of the moment. Thor is emotional in calling Zeus "afraid" here, and you wonder what might happen. Then the stupid tutu prance which is included only for the laugh. 

Edited by Artboy99

Per Deadline, Thor: Love and Thunder is projected to make around $46.5 million at the domestic box office by the end of this weekend. This means that the movie has dropped a staggering 68% from its opening weekend, which raked in a higher-than-expected haul of $144 million. This percentage is one of the worst week 2 drops in the MCU to date, joining other Phase 4 titles like Black Widow (68%) and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (67%).

This 68% drop isn't necessarily a death knell for the film's overall box office run. Spider-Man: No Way Home experienced the exact same drop when it was buffeted by Christmas competition in its second week at the box office, before climbing back up to become one of the highest-grossing domestic films in history. However, Thor isn't facing a holiday weekend and its only new competition is the mid-range drama Where the Crawdads Sing, which has a completely different demographic, and the animated film Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank, which is performing poorly.

All of Phase IV should be explained away as being some silly & forgettable part of the multiverse aka a pocket multiverse within the greater multiverse; the latter being the MCU of Phases I-III, V on. 

On 7/16/2022 at 1:48 PM, Artboy99 said:

He also made sure to dress Russell Crowe in a tutu and make him do a stupid prance down some steps for a laugh.

Why have studios been making entertainment for the studio employees rather than the audience? 

On 7/16/2022 at 1:48 PM, Bosco685 said:

Per Deadline, Thor: Love and Thunder is projected to make around $46.5 million at the domestic box office by the end of this weekend. This means that the movie has dropped a staggering 68% from its opening weekend, which raked in a higher-than-expected haul of $144 million. This percentage is one of the worst week 2 drops in the MCU to date, joining other Phase 4 titles like Black Widow (68%) and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (67%).

What type of spin is this?  Just a few days before release the "industry" was pegging this at a $165 million opening.  So how is $144 million opening "higher-than-expected"?  Sounds like someone at Deadline is on Disney's nuts.

On 7/16/2022 at 12:19 PM, media_junkie said:

What type of spin is this?  Just a few days before release the "industry" was pegging this at a $165 million opening.  So how is $144 million opening "higher-than-expected"?  Sounds like someone at Deadline is on Disney's nuts.

You must be unfamiliar with this guy, he’s a drooling apologist/fanboy with his  finger constantly on the scale not a journalist

On 7/16/2022 at 3:55 PM, topofthetotem said:

It was ok, not the best, not the worst but then again I’m generally not one to get panties in a twist over such things. 

I expect to like it, if only for the chance to sit with my children & lady friend in a dark, air-conditioned theater for a couple hours & forget about real life. 

On 7/16/2022 at 3:28 PM, TupennyConan said:

I expect to like it, if only for the chance to sit with my children & lady friend in a dark, air-conditioned theater for a couple hours & forget about real life. 

And that’s the thing it is escapism, moderately enjoyable (almost as much as the boards can be) it’s a bit silly and childish at points but in the end the collective memory is what’s important. That time with loved ones is the real reward.