• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's BLADE starring Mahershala Ali (2022?)
1 1

165 posts in this topic

On 10/5/2023 at 12:14 PM, Straw-Man said:

good.  didn't want to see it, anyway.

i did! i love this actor, hes amazing in everything he is in. if you havent seen 'green book' i recommend it. disappointing that marvel has had its head up its butt on this project for years now. guess when your finger is constantly in the air to gauge how the culture war winds are blowing, its impossible to choose your direction. 

On 10/8/2023 at 12:10 PM, alexgross.com said:

i did! i love this actor, hes amazing in everything he is in. if you havent seen 'green book' i recommend it. disappointing that marvel has had its head up its butt on this project for years now. guess when your finger is constantly in the air to gauge how the culture war winds are blowing, its impossible to choose your direction. 

There's so much truth in this statement

Can we bring that South Park thread back over here??

Marvel's Blade Was Reportedly Going to Be Female-Led Film Before Getting Lower-Budget Revision

Marvel's Blade reboot movie is at the center of an eye-opening new report about Marvel Studios and the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and it seems as though the development of the supernatural superhero's relaunch has been even more chaotic than rumors have suggested. 

In a breakdown by Variety's Tatiana Siegel, it's being said that Marvel's Blade reboot was originally headed in a very different direction than what most fans would expect from a Blade film with multi-Oscar-winner Mahershala Ali as its titular character. The report claims that "the story at one point morphed into a narrative led by women and filled with life lessons," and that "Blade was relegated to the fourth lead" of the film. That angle tracks with Marvel's recent promotional push of Bloodline: Daughter of Blade in comics this year – a character many speculated the Blade movie was going to focus on. 

To be fair, the larger point of the report on Blade is that the film has gone through multiple revisions during its pre-production, with "at least five writers, two directors and one shutdown six weeks before production," all having plagued Marvel Studios. Those disruptions and "reports that Ali was ready to exit over script issues" eventually made Kevin Feige go "back to the drawing board," with the entire concept for an MCU Blade. 

Now it's being reported that Oscar-nominated Logan writer Michael Green has been brought on board to rewrite the Blade script from scratch – and that Marvel Studios is taking a very different approach with it. Apparently, "Speculation around town is that the studio is looking to make the film, now slated for 2025, on a budget of less than $100 million — a deviation from Marvel's big-spending strategy." 

Go look at Blade #1 Marvel...............and recreate THAT vibe.

Vamps are meant to be souless killers, not SJW ffs.

This IS Blade, this is why it was a smash hit, this is the way. Just swap Tracy Lords for Megan Salinas.....

On 11/1/2023 at 3:39 PM, Beige said:

Go look at Blade #1 Marvel...............and recreate THAT vibe.

Vamps are meant to be souless killers, not SJW ffs.

This IS Blade, this is why it was a smash hit, this is the way. Just swap Tracy Lords for Megan Salinas.....

That scene made 2 other movies.  The first movie was good don't get me wrong but this scene set the tone for the series.

On 11/2/2023 at 5:14 AM, TupennyConan said:

Feige lost control or allowed this to happen to post Endgame MCU. Now we all know how destructive things can get when the Harvard faculty lounge makes movies.  

There are lots of story to be told in the MCU if they want too.  With the direction the MCU was going during phase 4 and 5, Blade would have been a perfect fit, but more importantly a popular choice.  Instead, they try to sabotage that. Ali used his Oscar capital to get the part of Blade and push for this film, what an absolute waste.  It is clear the MCU was not really interested in a Blade film, just having him onboard for the bragging writes and star power.

People must realize the comics have a mountain of stories about people of all different races, beliefs, sexualities, and backgrounds spread over the 70 plus year history. They have plenty of room to be inclusive, but still must be well rounded so they continue to appeal to the widest possible fanbase, and tell all types of stories about all types of people.  We had gotten to the point where they were telling stories about very select groups only. If people must be able to see themselves on screen to love a character (A notion I personally disagree with), that philosophy must apply to all people, not select groups. 

On 11/2/2023 at 5:14 AM, TupennyConan said:

Feige lost control or allowed this to happen to post Endgame MCU. Now we all know how destructive things can get when the Harvard faculty lounge makes movies.  

Now we know what the script differences of opinion were between Mahershala Ali and Marvel Studios where they came close to losing him. Having this vampire beat down by over-powered female team members sounds like typical modern Disney stories. Glad he stood his ground.

Edited by Bosco685

On 11/2/2023 at 1:13 PM, Bosco685 said:

Now we know what the script differences of opinion were between Mahershala Ali and Marvel Studios where they came close to losing him. Having this vampire beat down by over-powered female team members sounds like typical modern Disney stories. Glad he stood his ground.

It's pretty crazy. 

On 2/22/2024 at 12:16 PM, paperheart said:

This should surprise no one, the more curious question is why are they still forcing Thunderbolts down our throats? 

Toy revenue?

Aaron Pierre is no longer attached to Marvel‘s upcoming “Blade” film, Variety has learned. The actor revealed the update to Variety on the red carpet for the 55th NAACP Image Awards.

“Early on, there were conversations,” Pierre said of his involvement. “As the project evolved, I’m no longer part of that — attached.”

Pierre was set to star alongside Mahershala Ali, who plays the vampire hunter originally brought to life by Wesley Snipes. Pierre’s role remained undisclosed, although it was reported that he was chosen for the part after an expansive and thorough casting process. Marvel has only officially announced Ali’s casting as the eponymous vampire slayer.

Pierre is far from the first person to exit the Marvel film, which has had a fraught development process. Since July 2021, multiple directors and writers have been attached. Bassam Tariq was originally slated to direct, with Stacy Osei-Kuffour penning the script, who exited two months before production was set to commence. Yann Demange then came on board as director and Michael Green was hired as screenwriter. Variety reported that at least five writers have been attached to the movie.

“We’re working on it. That’s the best I could tell you,” Ali told Entertainment Weekly in December 2023. “I’m really encouraged with the direction of the project. We’ll be back at it relatively soon.”

“I’m sincerely encouraged in terms of where things are at and who’s on board and who’s leading the way as far as the writing of the script and the directing and all that,” Ali added. “So that’s the extent of what I can tell you.”

On 3/18/2024 at 7:48 AM, Bosco685 said:

Says it all when a bloke you've never heard of announces he's 'left' a Marvel movie

Train wreck.

And it shouldn't be as WS lid the template for a rollicking good movie.

It's Blade, not Mrs Blade.

Stop messing with stuff Disney!

On 3/17/2024 at 2:57 PM, Beige said:

Says it all when a bloke you've never heard of announces he's 'left' a Marvel movie

Train wreck.

He was never really on board, and he didn't say he left. Also, was he asked on the red carpet, or did he walk by and randomly tell them this for no reason? Seems like he was asked and responded.

Could this be one of the films that Iger has cancelled?  I know he said Eternals 2, Captain Marvel 3, and Ant-Man 4 are gone, but could there be more?

Edited by drotto