• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOHN WICK CHAPTER 4 (2021)
1 1

150 posts in this topic

“John Wick: Chapter 4” officially bowed at its London premiere Monday evening, with the social media reactions embargo lifting during the event.

The fourth entry picks up following the end of “John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum,” which saw Keanu Reeves’ infamous assassin take a tumble from atop the Continental Hotel after being betrayed by his confidante Winston (Ian McShane). Of course, Wick lives. “Chapter 4” finds the deadly pariah traveling the globe to free himself from the rule of the elusive, cutthroat High Table.

The critical darling action series has drawn strong praise in its first round of reactions, especially for its deep bench of sparring partners that includes Donnie Yen, Hiroyuki Sanada, Marko Zazor, Scott Adkins and Rina Sawayama. Another central topic of opinion is the film’s runtime, which clocks in at a lengthy two hours and 49 minutes — 38 minutes longer than the previous entry’s.

I got a prescreen pass to this as well, I might go, Brother is a little discouraged at the fact we've missed some of these, but I suppose that if they are still produced that is all that matters. I mean others might enjoy them more, I did and do. Just the way the cookies crumble.

During a Q&A that followed the screening, Reeves revealed that he has John’s watch and wedding ring as a souvenir. Another fan asked Reeves if he actually ages, leading the star to respond, “Yeah, man, I age. It’s happening, man.”

Stahelski was asked what he wants the franchise’s legacy to be, and he simply said, “This,” referring to the fan experience of watching it. As for his influences for the new sequel, the director cited Sergio Leone samurai movies and Walter Hill’s The Warriors.

The screening led to enthusiastic social media reactions, including one fan who tweeted in part, “Holy hell. Peppers you with excellent set pieces early and then in the last hour hammers you on the head with some of the greatest action sequences I’ve ever seen.” Another attendee praised the film as an “absolute banger” and gushed, “The third act and finale had the whole crowd cheering like no other.”

Edited by Bosco685

You've got to love a movie star who suffers for our sins. And while Tom Cruise snags the biggest headlines for his death-defying work in the "Mission: Impossible" movies, it's hard to watch "John Wick: Chapter 4" and not admire the anguish of Keanu Reeves. Alongside the most astonishing stunt ensemble in Hollywood, the universally beloved, charmingly stoic actor offers the perfect portrait of an action hero in constant physical and emotional pain. We don't love John Wick because he kills every last motherf***** in the room, we love John Wick because he kills every last motherf***** in the room and emerges from the fight limping, sweating, panting, and making it clear that being a master assassin is the kind of task that breaks your body and soul.

The final hour of the film is essentially one large action scene, and one staged with such bravura skill and visual wit that it exposes the vast majority of American action direction as the lazy sham it is. Stahelski, a former stunt performer and coordinator himself, knows how important it is to showcase these talented folks and make sure the audience can appreciate and follow their every action. That "every action" also involves staging choices that feel just plain unfair to every other action movie you'll see this year strongly suggests that he is the finest Hollywood director of gun battles, fist fights, sword duels, and car chases working at the moment.

Edited by Bosco685