• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I press NM/M estimated books?

10 posts in this topic

I purchased some books from ebay/local comic book stores that are raw and estimated NM/M- should I press/quick press? Is there a general rule to this, I did not see defects and want to know if I should avoid pressing or do you guys press everything. (these are silver to modern)

Depends on the possible gain.  If it is a high valued book and you don't have much into it and the pressing could give it a significant boost to the grade.  Then absolutely press it.

I have some out for pressing that likely aren't "worth" it to anyone other than me.  But I wanted them to be encapsulated for what I think is the best grade they could be.   Why?  Because they have a higher personal value to me, with no intention of myself ever selling them.  I might just have to write in my will they get cremated with me.

Spoiler

:jokealert:

If you are doing this just as a possible flip, then likely you will end up in the negative in the long run.  This is of course just my newbie opinion.

No. I don't mean this in a condescending way at all, but I'll state it flatly - the best thing to do is carefully hone your skills until you can cull 9.8 candidates from a stack of new books. 

Take three books, pick the best by looking through magnification, holding the book at different angles under different lighting. Use cotton gloves. After picking the best, take notes on any flaws. Grab another stack of three, repeat. Do it again. Now take the three best books (one from each stack) and compare those. Rinse and repeat. 

Sit on your submission until you reach the magic number of 25. Send in for pre-screen. See what the CGC has to say. Take more notes. Over time, you will be an expert and won't have to waste your money pressing fresh-out-the-box moderns. 

Back in the day, I use to press everything as "insurance" but I was quite disappointed in the results because I:

A. Failed to properly screen them on my own. 

B. Failed to pay the pre-screen fees for the pressing service. 

Pressing isn't always magic, and it certainly isn't always cost-effective. 

It's also very useful to learn how to differentiate between pressable and non-pressable defects. Some books can really benefit from a dry-clean and press. This has been proven time and time again. But plenty of people blindly send off moderns for pressing, thinking somehow that it guarantees a 9.8 when it certainly does not. 

In fact, there were times when I was afraid to press a 9.8 candidate because of potential damage. If the book lays naturally and has a pristine spine, I figure it plays in the book's favor. Flat spines without the natural "fluff" may have the opposite effect. Conversely, there is the argument that pressed books are the new norm and have changed the expectations for a 9.8 grade. 

Regardless, learning how to grade is a must in this hobby. It will save you LOTS of money. 

On 5/23/2019 at 9:41 PM, newshane said:

No. I don't mean this in a condescending way at all, but I'll state it flatly - the best thing to do is carefully hone your skills until you can cull 9.8 candidates from a stack of new books. 

Take three books, pick the best by looking through magnification, holding the book at different angles under different lighting. Use cotton gloves. After picking the best, take notes on any flaws. Grab another stack of three, repeat. Do it again. Now take the three best books (one from each stack) and compare those. Rinse and repeat. 

Sit on your submission until you reach the magic number of 25. Send in for pre-screen. See what the CGC has to say. Take more notes. Over time, you will be an expert and won't have to waste your money pressing fresh-out-the-box moderns. 

Back in the day, I use to press everything as "insurance" but I was quite disappointed in the results because I:

A. Failed to properly screen them on my own. 

B. Failed to pay the pre-screen fees for the pressing service. 

Pressing isn't always magic, and it certainly isn't always cost-effective. 

It's also very useful to learn how to differentiate between pressable and non-pressable defects. Some books can really benefit from a dry-clean and press. This has been proven time and time again. But plenty of people blindly send off moderns for pressing, thinking somehow that it guarantees a 9.8 when it certainly does not. 

In fact, there were times when I was afraid to press a 9.8 candidate because of potential damage. If the book lays naturally and has a pristine spine, I figure it plays in the book's favor. Flat spines without the natural "fluff" may have the opposite effect. Conversely, there is the argument that pressed books are the new norm and have changed the expectations for a 9.8 grade. 

Regardless, learning how to grade is a must in this hobby. It will save you LOTS of money. 

Great advice. A lot I try to follow as well.

you definitely want to consider what your pressing as the fees along with the grading fees can stack up quite fast and put you under what they comic is going for, if your doing it for financial incentives. Also as a few have mentioned you definitely want to check your skills at grading as I have a hard time telling the difference between a 9.6 - 9.8 range, etc...  

24 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

you definitely want to consider what your pressing as the fees along with the grading fees can stack up quite fast and put you under what they comic is going for, if your doing it for financial incentives. Also as a few have mentioned you definitely want to check your skills at grading as I have a hard time telling the difference between a 9.6 - 9.8 range, etc...  

You're far from the only one. Anything 9.4 to 9.9 is the pinnacle of subjective grading.