• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SS label for Spawn #297 Retailer Incentive?

62 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, diem480 said:

Why would I blame McFarlane? If the event where every single comic was signed then it should come back as authenticated. 

It just so happens that in this scenario maybe 5-10 weren't.

I'm not so much concerned with this specific issue as I am with it establishing a precedent where incentives like this are being released more frequently and each one will receive a label that effectively states it can be a fake.

You would blame McFarlane because he, along with many others in the creative community, has become convinced that everyone who slabs books for the Sig Series program is doing it for the "phat stacks of cash", and because he's been lied to by conflicted facilitators/representatives, he hasn't bothered to educate himself otherwise, and CGC hasn't taken the initiative to correct this massive misinformation campaign that doesn't benefit them, has decided that he will only allow his signature...which is bizarre in the first place, since who is he to dictate what people do with their property after he signs it anyways...in certain signings during the year, and CGC has, unfortunately, decided its more important to cater to creators than to their customers.

That's why.

The point you're missing is that it doesn't matter if there were 1,000 authorized CGC witnesses in the crowd...and there certainly were quite a few in this crowd...CGC refuses to do anything but accommodate creator wishes...for now.

The only option someone would have is to NOT have had the book signed at the Retailer Summit and then submit during one of the "approved" signings.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

PS. You want it to change? Talk to the creators, and explain to them the realities of the SS program. If enough people politely explain the situation, they may change their minds.

That train has left the station. For good or ill, creators started charging more for CGC sigs, and they found that people will pay it. Can't imagine they'd give up that extra bit of cash now.

9 hours ago, diem480 said:

You're wrong, in that same description it says comics can receive this label when they're directly received from the signer or publisher, 0 witnesses are involved. 

This is extremely similar to the Spawn #297 scenario, and pretty much identical to the scenario where every single copy is signed.

Essentially what I'm seeing is that CGC will authenticate something as long as it's in their best interest, and based on this thread so far, people seem to be ok with that.

You are wrong.

There isn't a single logical person here, or who works for CGC, that is going to support your obviously incorrect stance.

It will never receive an SS label unless it is signed (again, allegedly) in the correct manner that earns a CGC SS label. This isn't CBCS or PGX. There are standards to be upheld.

/thread

Just now, mattn792 said:

I can’t believe this thread even reached two pages.

That's what arguing about stupid :censored: will do.

"Here is CGC's policy."

"But yadda yadda yadda."

"Doesn't matter. CGC."

"But I disagree."

"We're talking about CGC here, not whatever malarky you're spewing."

And the vicious cycle continues because common sense just isn't so common these days...

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

That's what arguing about stupid :censored: will do.

"Here is CGC's policy."

"But yadda yadda yadda."

"Doesn't matter. CGC."

"But I disagree."

"We're talking about CGC here, not whatever malarky you're spewing."

And the vicious cycle continues because common sense just isn't so common these days...

But I want my unwitnessed out of state signature to get a yellow label!!!

45 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

That train has left the station. For good or ill, creators started charging more for CGC sigs, and they found that people will pay it. Can't imagine they'd give up that extra bit of cash now.

If buyers continue to say nothing, continue to accept it, continue to behave like the addicts we are, terribly afraid to upset the apple cart for fear of being cut off, then yes, you are completely right...it won't ever change.

But do you know what? 

At least one creator...Sam Kieth...or Albert Moy, his art rep who also happens to be his handler...figured it out, and started charging the same price for every signature..$20...regardless of where it was going. Is Sam's signature worth $20? No. But that's irrelevant to the point: he (or rather, Albert) is charging the same amount regardless of where it goes...or, at least, that's what happened at NYCC last year. 

But you're 100% correct: if people continue to say nothing, and allow themselves to be taken advantage of, hurting collectors, hurting creators, hurting CGC, profiting only the middle men with their fingers in every pie, who have more conflicts of interest than a mafia convention...then yes, nothing will change.

Just now, mattn792 said:

It can. Get it signed in front of a CGC witness and turn the tables on the whole market. 

Image result for flip table meme

...and whatever you do, don't read it. Comics must keep that important "Never read." status for their condition. It's the bestest.