• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating GEEzusWalks
3 3

260 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Casablanca said:

Agree dangerous if not silly precedent indeed. For those with kids, this sounds too much like "I didn't do anything wrong!"..uhm yes you did. A book does not disappear, pictures don't disappear, sales records don't disappear ALL at the same time.. Unless its a perfect storm of willful bliss ( refraining from using the word ignorance). I think the buyer wants the book, not the refund. Yes from a technical standpoint, the seller fulfilled his obligations by refunding the money, but this is a shady sequence of events and although it appears this maybe the first time this happened with this seller, it has tainted his reputation in my eyes. As such i personally would not deal with him, regardless of the book. 

Probation lists have a timer?..okay so he waits out the timer then what. HOS is reserved for egregious breaches i guess. Then perhaps we should have a " Shady Deals list" for deals like this, as a warning, you do shady deals people are going to know about it. 

Agree with @Casablanca here. Really no concrete PROOF that the seller didn't lose the book as stated, but there are a few fishy optics here. I sold the family a book on my thread, and then was alerted by a joke, that this seller whom had claimed a book of mine, had stiffed a buyer here on the boards. Had I not been alerted by another boardie that this seller had issues, I'd have never known. In Geezus Walks defense, his transaction as a buyer from me was seamless and pleasant. It would be nice however, to have a list of "SHADY TRANSACTIONS" that dont prohibit activity altogether, but allow me to run a thread stating "Shady buyers please PM me before taking a book, so that I may review why you're on the list and determine whether I'd like to do business with you, or not.

26 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Brock will be Brock.

True, some people's need to make a few extra hundred flipping a book overrides everything else. 

:frown:

1 minute ago, Joshua33 said:

Agree with @Casablanca here. Really no concrete PROOF that the seller didn't lose the book as stated, but there are a few fishy optics here. I sold the family a book on my thread, and then was alerted by a joke, that this seller whom had claimed a book of mine, had stiffed a buyer here on the boards. Had I not been alerted by another boardie that this seller had issues, I'd have never known. In Geezus Walks defense, his transaction as a buyer from me was seamless and pleasant. It would be nice however, to have a list of "SHADY TRANSACTIONS" that dont prohibit activity altogether, but allow me to run a thread stating "Shady buyers please PM me before taking a book, so that I may review why you're on the list and determine whether I'd like to do business with you, or not.

A lot of things have been suggested in the past ( shady deal list, scarlet letter etc ) and none of them ever seemed to gain traction, mainly due to the bleeding hearts who always look to give the benefit of the doubt. It is what it is so just make sure to keep your personal list updated 2c

4 minutes ago, Joshua33 said:

It would be nice however, to have a list of "SHADY TRANSACTIONS" that dont prohibit activity altogether, but allow me to run a thread stating "Shady buyers please PM me before taking a book, so that I may review why you're on the list and determine whether I'd like to do business with you, or not.

We do NOT need another list. The PL list does NOT prohibit activity. It IS the "shady" list. 

Someone either breeches a contract, or they don't. 

6 minutes ago, newshane said:

Agreed. He is on the PL where he belongs, Sucks for him that he will be there forever, but he was given a variety of exit opportunities and failed to secure his reputation. 

Until he finds the book or produces a sales slip or the original scans, there is really nothing more to say. 

And with that, I pledge to say no more. 

Good luck to everyone.

Seller had refunded the money and had given his explanation of what had happened.  CC or others may not believe it, but until there is proof he did something else you can't (or shouldn't)put him on for speculation.  Not providing scans or receipt is not proof.

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:
5 minutes ago, Joshua33 said:

A lot of things have been suggested in the past ( shady deal list, scarlet letter etc ) and none of them ever seemed to gain traction, mainly due to the bleeding hearts who always look to give the benefit of the doubt. It is what it is so just make sure to keep your personal list updated 2c

I too have lost the occasional book that I've sold, though nothing over about $10-20.  But it happens on about 1 out of 600 books I sell?  I know its not ideal to be subjective, but most would argue a semi-professional losing a $500 book is different than losing an obvious amateur losing a $20 book.  I think the ironically the issue here is the attempt to lie to cover the mistake. 

He said it sold on ebay, he should be easily able to provide proof.  He could have just claimed it lost, apologized profusely, and tossed the buyer like $5-10 for his time and consideration.

I had a similar situation, where I bought a book from a foreign seller.  He combined the shipping for me, but it was pretty low.  At first I thought he just picked the slowest shipping (like a three month boat), which I was fine with, or that he made a mistake and would come back and ask for more.  But then he came back and said that ebay made the error, and that I should paypal him the money.  So I basically said if ebay made the error he should go through ebay to re-request the money, otherwise he could be scamming me out of another X amount of dollars.  He threw a fit, and accused me of scamming him.  I would have happily paid, he could have refunded and reinvoiced me or whatever, but he wanted to lie to cover his mistake instead of doing the extra work, and it cost him.

Its not the mistake, we all make them.  Its the cover-up and lies that rub people wrong.

I would put him on the PL until he provides proof of sale on ebay OR just comes on this thread and tells the truth (which might be that he actually just lost it).

The problem with just keeping him on the PL  is it makes you question the list.  The PL doesn't mandate you don't sell here on the boards.  It doesn't do anything but warn someone that a person has had a bad transaction that has not been taken care of.  In this case I could see the guy post up books for sale and reference this discussion and people would make up their minds about the issue (ie people will buy if the price is right).  So then we have a list of people that shouldn't be dealt with except for this case which is up to debate.  The more people have to think about the list the less effective the list is since you know . . bomics.

Edited by 1Cool

On 6/17/2019 at 1:11 AM, GEEzusWalks said:

Where do you think the book is lost? Is it lost in your house or was it stolen? Was it sold prior to the sale on the boards?
We don't believe the book was stolen. We searched throughout house, but are unable to locate.
We aren't sure if it was involved in prior sale. 

Did anyone contact you saying the price was too low?
No. 

Are you continuing to search the house for the book and if so, why not tell Brock that it was just temporarily missing and wait a few days before refunding?
Still looking.
Once we were unable to locate once searched our books, we refunded.
Any books we have sold are prepared packaging and label in same day payment is made.
If the same thing happened to us, we would prefer refund immediately. We would not want to tie up anyone's funds.  

Sorry about this.

Searched the house, you say...

sH39D1v.png

Carry on.

21 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Rolling my eyes...

I will do business with this guy if presented with the opportunity in the future. This grievance is borderline absurd if you ask me... If true, it’s a misdemeanor. If false, shame on the mob.

I see I am safe, as my current by-line doesn't appear to prohibit probates.   lol

Agreements:   (tsk)  No H.O.S. members, card-carrying P.O.S., H.O.C. occupants, puppy-kickers, butt-lickers, etc.  Secret hand-shakers OK on a case-by-case basis. 

I actually don't follow either the PL or HOS, so not sure I would know if someone was on it anyways.  I can't even remember what a H.O.C. occupant is, but it must have been funny at the time.

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

I can't even remember what a H.O.C. occupant is, but it must have been funny at the time.

Based on your previous 40,188 posts, probably not.

22 minutes ago, GACollectibles said:

I can't even remember what a H.O.C. occupant is, but it must have been funny at the time.

Based on your previous 40,188 posts, probably not.

Always so harsh.  I didn't even tell your JLA story..., lol

Once priced and sold and paid for ...it ships. Whether I made a mistake or not and have to not make as much profit or loss or not.   I for one do not want to deal with someone that will pull shenanigans over a couple hundred dollars.   Be smart when you price. Accept what you will and be done with it.   Just like I would like this person on the list so I don’t deal with issues like this.   So nuff said

Taking a guess, I think it referred to the "House of Comics" debacle, found HERE . Long-time members here will remember that going from a scammer situation, turning ludicrously funny at one point -- but ending very tragically at the end.  

I'm at the doctor with my wife, so I can't find the link to the way that situation ended, but it was scary/disturbing stuff.  

I have my own 2c to add to the greater discussion, but that will have to wait until I'm back home later. I'm sure everyone will be on pins and needles until then, lol. lol:tonofbricks:

5 minutes ago, ChiSoxFan said:

Taking a guess, I think it referred to the "House of Comics" debacle, found HERE . Long-time members here will remember that going from a scammer situation, turning ludicrously funny at one point -- but ending very tragically at the end.  

I'm at the doctor with my wife, so I can't find the link to the way that situation ended, but it was scary/disturbing stuff.  

I have my own 2c to add to the greater discussion, but that will have to wait until I'm back home later. I'm sure everyone will be on pins and needles until then, lol. lol:tonofbricks:

You are correct!  Hence "occupants"!  lol

My failing memory betrayed me once again.

2 hours ago, revat said:

I too have lost the occasional book that I've sold, though nothing over about $10-20.  But it happens on about 1 out of 600 books I sell?  I know its not ideal to be subjective, but most would argue a semi-professional losing a $500 book is different than losing an obvious amateur losing a $20 book.  I think the ironically the issue here is the attempt to lie to cover the mistake. 

He said it sold on ebay, he should be easily able to provide proof.  He could have just claimed it lost, apologized profusely, and tossed the buyer like $5-10 for his time and consideration.

I had a similar situation, where I bought a book from a foreign seller.  He combined the shipping for me, but it was pretty low.  At first I thought he just picked the slowest shipping (like a three month boat), which I was fine with, or that he made a mistake and would come back and ask for more.  But then he came back and said that ebay made the error, and that I should paypal him the money.  So I basically said if ebay made the error he should go through ebay to re-request the money, otherwise he could be scamming me out of another X amount of dollars.  He threw a fit, and accused me of scamming him.  I would have happily paid, he could have refunded and reinvoiced me or whatever, but he wanted to lie to cover his mistake instead of doing the extra work, and it cost him.

Its not the mistake, we all make them.  Its the cover-up and lies that rub people wrong.

I would put him on the PL until he provides proof of sale on ebay OR just comes on this thread and tells the truth (which might be that he actually just lost it).

But he never said he sold it on eBay. I asked him in a PM if it was sold previous and he answered that he did not know. Then he was asked for receipts.

What if it was not sold? how does he produce a receipt? 

People are skimming the text (which I can understand).

1 minute ago, skypinkblu said:

But he never said he sold it on eBay. I asked him in a PM if it was sold previous and he answered that he did not know. Then he was asked for receipts.

What if it was not sold? how does he produce a receipt? 

People are skimming the text (which I can understand).

I'm sorry if I missed that part or misread it.  If he didn't lie about anything and I got my money back, I'm not really sure there's anything more to be done.  Except warn people that this person loses big dollar value books.

IF this happens to ENOUGH PEOPLE, 5? 10? in a short amount of time and its documentable, or it can be shown that he sells that book in the somewhat near future, I'd recommend him for hall of shame.

17 minutes ago, ChiSoxFan said:

Do tell. :popcorn:

Just now, revat said:

I'm sorry if I missed that part or misread it.  If he didn't lie about anything and I got my money back, I'm not really sure there's anything more to be done.  Except warn people that this person loses big dollar value books.

IF this happens to ENOUGH PEOPLE, 5? 10? in a short amount of time and its documentable, or it can be shown that he sells that book in the somewhat near future, I'd recommend him for hall of shame.

Someone posted that it happened before, but no one has come up with any specific examples.

You said he was a professional seller, why would you say that? Does he have a website or something? 

15 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Someone posted that it happened before, but no one has come up with any specific examples.

You said he was a professional seller, why would you say that? Does he have a website or something? 

I may have conflated hypotheticals or examples of OTHER non-ideal sellers.  I thought I read that one of the excuses was that he probably sold the book accidentally on ebay prior to the sale here.  In that case it should be easy enough to produce pics. 

But yes re-reading for this specific case, it appears that the ideal proof would be pictures of the specific book in question.