• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating GEEzusWalks
3 3

260 posts in this topic

I am here to nominate @GEEzusWalks to the Probation List for failing to complete an agreed upon transaction at an agreed upon price.

On 6/1 at 10:14 pm, a book (Amazing Spider-Man #5 CGC 5.0) was posted FS in the G/S/B section.   

On 6/2 at 7:18 am, I claimed said book.  Around 10:30 am, seller posted that the book was sold.  

I received a PM invoice around 11:30 am asking for the book price ($490) + shipping ($18).

Fast forward to 11:55 pm, I paid via PayPal for the book. Per the sellers rules, he granted up to 3 days to pay, so I’m well within the limit. 

On 6/3 at 2:02 am, I received a refund from PayPal (and a PM from the seller) that the book could no longer be located and therefore, a refund was issued.

I do not believe that the book was lost, as was claimed by the seller and reposted on page 1663 of the general discussion thread.

The seller has sent the same answer when questioned about the book: it was lost and we had to refund (all within 24 hours).  I find the responses and lack of effort insulting to the community.  This is a classic breach of contract and in my opinion, probation worthy.

I will PM the seller alerting him/her of this nomination.  Feel free to discuss this.  For the record, I was refunded but that was NOT my choice.  I would rather have the book.  The seller's implausible excuses paint a bad picture. 

And to make matters worse, the seller goes into another seller's thread and claims free books "for his son."  Maybe they are for his kid..maybe not...but talk about salt in the wound!

Brock

pictures of the book in question should be re-posted as a good faith act in order to show honesty and transparency. That way the book itself could maybe be identified and not just the slab it is contained in.

54 minutes ago, Bird said:

pictures of the book in question should be re-posted as a good faith act in order to show honesty and transparency. That way the book itself could maybe be identified and not just the slab it is contained in.

I agree.  

58 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

There's no way to know with any certainty, and I don't think that PL is appropriate.

I accidentally sold a book on eBay that I had already sold a month earlier, bonehead move on my part but it can happen and the buyer understood (shrug)

Lets say the guy gets on the probation list for this, how does he ever get off of it if he doesn't have the book and has already refunded the money?

1 hour ago, Logan510 said:

I accidentally sold a book on eBay that I had already sold a month earlier, bonehead move on my part but it can happen and the buyer understood (shrug)

Lets say the guy gets on the probation list for this, how does he ever get off of it if he doesn't have the book and has already refunded the money?

I agree, he won't get on the PL for this however there will be a record of an issue that they buyer perceived to be PL worthy.  The seller was asked in the GD thread when pics were taken, why were pics removed etc..

None of this was answered.  Not saying that he couldn't have taken the picture months ago however IMO it's doubtful.  I'd love to know how someone loses a slab in thier house shortly after posting on these boards
for sale.

Everyone is entitled to think what they will however IMO seller priced book too low, it was taken by a boardie quickly, seller realized price was out of whack with market, seller "lost" book.

Agree, if refunded he probably will not get on the PL, however in good faith the seller as someone mentioned above should post clear pics of of the front and back of comic in the slab for transparency.

If I lost a slab I'd come right to these boards with pics asking the community to be on the look out.

Case in point:  you don't just lose a comic worth in excess of $700. 

Here's what I'm having issues with:

The book was posted for sale around 10:30 pm on Saturday evening.  It sat unclaimed until I claimed it around 7:15 am the next day.  So it sat for sale (for $490) for nearly 9 hours before I claimed it.  I wouldn't say I was "Johnny on the spot" by grabbing it before a pricing mistake could be corrected.

Furthermore, after I claimed the book, the seller made a post in the thread that said "ASM 5 sold."  And then he sent me an invoice asking for $508.  Once I paid, within a few hours...I was refunded.  So the book was "lost" between the time I paid and the time you "went to pack it?"

To make matters worse, the seller goes back, edits the thread and removes ALL photos of the book in question.  I was fortunate enough to snap a screenshot and some savvy boardies were able to determine the serial #.

This all doesn't add up.....the seller mispriced a book (I'll admit) but it wasn't egregious (like $120 for a $1200 book), at some point realized the mistake (probably someone pointing it out) and claimed to LOSE the book after being paid...per an invoice HE sent. 

And b/c I have been made whole (which isn't true), he doesn't deserve to be on the PL list?  I think that's exactly the definition of the PL.  And @Logan510, it doesn't boil down to a simple mistake of selling a book he didn't own.  He never once apologized, he never asked for more time to find it...it was lost, I sent refund...washed hands and bye bye.

If the seller cannot even post photos of the book in question, how can you not approve his nomination?  He may as well spit in everyone's face

@Columbia Comics

I'm not saying it sounds 100% legit, I'm just saying mistakes can happen. Does he have a reputation for doing things like this?

The whole point of someone being on the probation list is to point out how they've wronged someone, but to also give them the opportunity to make reparations. Outside of forcing the seller to deliver on a book that he may or may not have what can be done aside from refunding your money? We don't have the ability to issue a "scarlet letter"...as much as I wish we did as I have seen sellers abuse this place, I have even nominated someone who was a multiple repeat offender and he got off scot free because he bribed the other nominators with free books.

The only "permanent" solution is the HoS, but this isn't exactly HoS worthy IMO. I'm not sure what the correct solution is...but people have their own personal lists and I'm sure the seller will probably be on more than a few.

A few thoughts: The book will turn up, and if it does, seller owes buyer the completion of this transaction.

If this is not a PL-worthy situation, what is?  Because anyone could simply claim loss of book.

When seller lists book, he advertises that it is for sale and it can be produced upon sale.  “Losing it” is not an excuse, even if it really happened.

How does he get off PL?  He does not.  Seller should not be allowed to sell on the boards again.

Edited by Heronext

3 minutes ago, Heronext said:

A few thoughts: The book will turn up, and if it does, seller owes buyer the completion of this transaction.

If this is not a PL-worthy situation, what is?  Because anyone could simply claim loss of book.

When seller lists book, he advertises that it is for sale and it can be produced upon sale.  “Losing it” is not an excuse, even if it really happened.

How does he get off PL?  He does not.  Seller should not be allowed to sell on the boards again.

That's not how it works around here (shrug)

2 minutes ago, Heronext said:

I disagree.  If he ended up on the probation list,I think paying Brock 50% of the difference between list price and actual value of the book would be fair.  Maybe $200  gets him removed.

I agree that it is problematic that there is no way for him to get off the PL in this scenario. I would think perhaps Columbia Comics can offer a solution that would accomplish this. It is also why I suggested that he post pictures of the book, as that might be one way to show some good faith if it exists. As I stated in the discussion forum previously, I think a refund makes the buyer whole but am glad this is here for posterity's sake so good on ya' @Columbia Comics.

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

I agree that it is problematic that there is no way for him to get off the PL in this scenario. I would think perhaps Columbia Comics can offer a solution that would accomplish this. It is also why I suggested that he post pictures of the book, as that might be one way to show some good faith if it exists. As I stated in the discussion forum previously, I think a refund makes the buyer whole but am glad this is here for posterity's sake so good on ya' @Columbia Comics.

I will say that if the seller continues to be silent on the request to produce clear pictures of the book which he has I’d totally support for him being on the PL.  Not posting them speaks volumes.