• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,891 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2021 at 5:54 PM, tth2 said:
On 8/24/2021 at 6:40 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Ok I’m surprised at the disparity in bidding between these 2 classic covers. I’ve owned them both in the past when they weren’t what they are today, and admittedly I haven’t kept up with their respective pricing, but still this surprises me

D037EFD3-2266-4737-B98C-1FE8DBC63902.jpeg

Expand  

(tsk)  Only Lou Fine is allowed to fret and obsess over internet bidding before the live auction! :rulez:

On 8/24/2021 at 7:39 PM, MrBedrock said:

I agree with this here post here.:headbang:

On 8/24/2021 at 7:50 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Hey fellas I’m allowed too. 

Count me in also and that's only because most boardies don't have the same deep pockets that you 3 gentlemen have, and as a result, it's only incumbent on a good samaritan collector like me to point out bargain basement items to other financially challenged buyers like myself who don't swim in the same deep end of the pool as you guys. :bigsmile:

As for the Punch 12, it's simply amzing how collecting tastes have changed over the years as I remember taking part in a CBM survey back in the mid-90's and I was the one and only reader to have 'Tec 31 and Punch 12 listed as one of their Top 5 GA covers of all time.  Then again, I also had Adventure 73 with the classic Kirby manhunter cover on my Top 5 List and we all know how stone cold dead and frozen that book has been over the past couple of decades.  :p

Heck, even if there was a CGC 9.8 graded copy of Adventure 73 from the Promise Collection, even all of the associated hype from this pedigree might not be strong enough to wake this book up from its decades long slumber.  :(

On 8/25/2021 at 9:18 AM, fishbone said:
On 8/24/2021 at 3:13 PM, eschnit said:

Do any of you bid by phone, as opposed to online?  I was surprised to see that on a lot I’m tracking, there are like 10 bidders, but another 20 registered by phone.  The amount of phone bidders is what surprised me. 

oh yeah -- that's how the seller gets the big bucks!! It's when the REAL bidding starts .........

Well, if you buy into the business model that's being alluded to in a couple of the other threads in Comics General which is actually old news, the REAL REAL bidding starts when the BIG MAN calls down from his corner suite on the top floor and starts to self bid against himself in order to put the book back into inventory for future use again, all at no cost to either himself or to the auction house.  :gossip:  lol

Okay, back to the topic at hand and even though we've still got a long ways to go, a bit surprised to see how relatively well this book is doing to this current point in time:  :luhv:   (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/suspense-comics-8-the-promise-collection-pedigree-continental-magazines-1945-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7246-92162.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-SearchResults-120115&lotPosition=3|0

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F3%2F8%2F3%2F24383953%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Already at $17K excluding the BP juice which puts it only $1,500 behind the much ballyhooed and overhyped much higher graded CGC 9.8 Promise copy of Suspense Comics 11 with its classic Devil cover.   Will certainly be interesting to sit back and watch the final results for this Suspense run from the Promise Collection, even tough it's missing the first four issues of the run. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/28/2021 at 3:05 AM, lou_fine said:

Okay, back to the topic at hand and even though we've still got a long ways to go, a bit surprised to see how relatively well this book is doing to this current point in time:  :luhv:   (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/suspense-comics-8-the-promise-collection-pedigree-continental-magazines-1945-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7246-92162.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-SearchResults-120115&lotPosition=3|0

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F3%2F8%2F3%2F24383953%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Already at $17K excluding the BP juice which puts it only $1,500 behind the much ballyhooed and overhyped much higher graded CGC 9.8 Promise copy of Suspense Comics 11 with its classic Devil cover.   Will certainly be interesting to sit back and watch the final results for this Suspense run from the Promise Collection, even tough it's missing the first four issues of the run. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

FACK !!!!!    what a book !

On 9/5/2021 at 10:16 PM, Professor K said:

Future sales will determine if this is new member to the all time classic cover (non 'key') club

Totally impressive finish. Thought I actually had a shot till it went past 5k and I had a feeling it was going to 10k territory 

On 8/20/2021 at 12:22 AM, szav said:
On 8/19/2021 at 7:40 PM, sagii said:

This auction in INSANE!!

It really is… most of the Promise books are even being overshadowed this time.

On 8/20/2021 at 12:22 AM, szav said:

It really is… most of the Promise books are even being overshadowed this time.

Just took a look at the offerings for the first day only so far and although I suspect the breadth of this auction is going to be quite strong on this go round after the first day, it would appear that their Platinum Session for tomorrow doesn't seem to have the same depth of quality as compared to some of their previous Platinum Sessions offerings.  (shrug)

And not surprisingly and actually to be expected, their second major dose of the Promise Collection books are clearly not in the same ball park as the first shot that they gave to us back in June.  :frown:

Was actually interested in bidding on the Promise Collection copy of Kid Colt #1 since I've always liked the Marvel Westerns and it's hard to beat a #1 first issue, especially when it's still going for less than condition guide at this late stage in the auction.  :whatthe:   :takeit:

Then I decided to take a closer look at the book, and I would have to say that Heritage was dead on right and giving us the straight goods here with the first line in their written auction description for this copy of Kid Colt 1..........."We were simply stunned to see this in high grade":  :devil:  lol

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/kid-colt-outlaw-1-the-promise-collection-pedigree-marvel-1948-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7246-92091.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F5%2F6%2F1%2F24561988%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

On 9/8/2021 at 3:25 AM, lou_fine said:

Just took a look at the offerings for the first day only so far and although I suspect the breadth of this auction is going to be quite strong on this go round after the first day, it would appear that their Platinum Session for tomorrow doesn't seem to have the same depth of quality as compared to some of their previous Platinum Sessions offerings.  (shrug)

And not surprisingly and actually to be expected, their second major dose of the Promise Collection books are clearly not in the same ball park as the first shot that they gave to us back in June.  :frown:

Even though offered only a few years ago, i think the Mile High Peps will still be a treat to watch as well as the low grade Fantastic 3 which gets Church money these days even in low grades 

But agree on this round of Promise books: stellar grades on many but not many 'marquee' books. But i'm sure they've got a surprise or two to close out the year end Signature auction

Edited by sagii

On 9/8/2021 at 3:25 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, there is that book with that Spider fellow which is apparently of interest to a number of people.

OA seems to have reclaimed some of its space at the center of the stage in this auction.

On 9/8/2021 at 8:42 AM, skypinkblu said:

I'm guessing the notes I'm getting "you've qualified to bid by phone" mean I've already bid too much and I should leave the house.

Which I'm planning on doing, lol.

But if you leave the house who will make the sandwiches?

On 9/8/2021 at 6:14 AM, tth2 said:

Well, there is that book with that Spider fellow which is apparently of interest to a number of people.

No idea at all, but is that one of those common as dirt Marvel books?  lol

On 9/8/2021 at 6:14 AM, tth2 said:

OA seems to have reclaimed some of its space at the center of the stage in this auction.

Didn't you place something like 500 tracking bids on this particular auction right from the get go?  :baiting:

The trick is that if you ignore all of those Marvels and DC's you see all the time along with the overgraded Promise Collection books, you won't run into this problem at all.  :bigsmile:

On 9/8/2021 at 1:56 PM, skypinkblu said:

He's not getting the brownies;) 

I can't believe I've been gone for 5 hours and they are only up to D.

I thought you were going with proxy, head in sand, wake me up when it’s over 😜