• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,226 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2021 at 8:34 PM, Robot Man said:

I love this book. I got into MLJs a little late. I saw one in a friend's collection and tried for years to find an affordable copy. Can't remember the last one I saw for sale in any shape. I was lucky in stumbling into this one at SDCC one year at double condition guide. I jumped all over it. Hard to pick a favorite. Any body want to try?

compep20.jpg

Likewise, yours is one I was never able to find. Awesome!  (thumbsu

On 9/11/2021 at 10:18 AM, AlphaOmega said:

Congrats!  Glad it found a good home.  It was the chance of a lifetime to have all of these MLJ's from this collection in my possession earlier this year :-)

Thank you Sir! I just watched the video you hosted a few months ago on the Pinnacle Hill books. Such an amazing find, and great information and history. Must have been mindblowing to be up close and personal with the books. 

Jay

On 9/10/2021 at 9:01 PM, Zolnerowich said:

Thanks C! My first MLJ. :)

This one must be watched to ensure this goes no further. (:

On 9/10/2021 at 3:08 AM, eschnit said:

Just waiting on The Shield and The Destroyer to join the MCU 😎, then boom 

Nah.............you gotta jump onto the Phantom bandwagon before it gets out of the starting blocks and running at full steam:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/feature-books-57-the-phantom-the-promise-collection-pedigree-david-mckay-publications-1948-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-whit/a/7246-96093.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F3%2F8%2F4%2F24384257%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Looks like this lowly CGC 9.2 graded copy with the absolutely stunning dripping cover colors managed to fetch $9,600 and I believe another Phantom Feature Book managed to fetched over $10K the other day.  :whatthe:

I really need to track down one of those virtually impossible to find Ace Comics 11 with the first appearance of the Phantom, which was also on Metro's target Want List as per one of their newsletters.  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/10/2021 at 4:29 AM, lou_fine said:

Yeah, this was also the first thing that crossed my mind when the hammer came down on some of these Pep's here.  (thumbsu

Unlike Mitch who seems to be the biggest cheerleader for the Promise Collection books here, I believe the winners for a large number of the Promise books will also have a rather long wait before they can see some green on their winnings.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

I don't think it's just a "wait." I don't believe that many of the buyers will ever break even if the prices are adjusted for inflation. I've purchased two Promise books so far; I don't plan to sell, but I wouldn't expect to break if I were forced to sell. Two is enough for me; I don't plan to go after a third unless one of my grails pops up and isn't too overgraded. (There are plenty of books that I like from '44 through '50, but virtually all of my true grails are from earlier dates.)