• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,891 posts in this topic

On 9/11/2021 at 4:03 PM, Electron said:

Somewhat understandable as it will end up in a blue label. Who can explain $13,200 for the Pep 4 in 7.5?

in his lead story there's an attack on Pearl Harbor, a year and a half before the real-life event. 

On 9/9/2021 at 4:49 PM, Point Five said:

Zip #22 CGC 3.0 $13,333.20  :blush: :blush:

I bought the 1.0 as an upgrade actually and sold the 1.5 as the 1.0 has OW-White pages and the 1.5 was SB with a large corner out top right but it was fun playing with them both for a bit. I had the 1.5 for several years before my 1.0 copy showed up that I could be happy with and it fits right into my low grade rarites collection just right. pretty tough book with an iconic cover!!

ED5C6D7C-1E3A-4C58-A189-9EBD249D1AAE.jpeg

On 9/11/2021 at 3:46 PM, szav said:

Dang...glad I 'overpaid' for a copy a few years ago.  Not a super pretty copy either, although I kinda like the additional lean the miscut gives her.

image.png.6f3fba1eb8d770793b16f3de36e13a5f.png

So my eyes weren’t deceiving me.  That’s an impressive miscut, perfectly lined with her lean.

On 9/11/2021 at 5:18 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I didn't end up with much after the smoke cleared .... but I DID snag this book for a great price, so I'm celebrating!  :banana:

That WAS a great price, I was shocked. I have one in that grade, but I was still thinking about bidding. Glad you won it;) 

On 9/11/2021 at 4:22 PM, skypinkblu said:

That WAS a great price, I was shocked. I have one in that grade, but I was still thinking about bidding. Glad you won it;) 

Aww, thanks Sha! :hi: I was just waiting for it to jump again .... and then it didn't! I got smoked on probably over a dozen books, so it was nice to land one. Crazy bidding today! 

On 9/11/2021 at 5:31 PM, Mmehdy said:

Records continue to be broken, one auction to go...$ total so far $24,274,271.00

I think Heritage may have a challenge outdoing this one.  Doubtful there’s any single book on the planet that would cause as much stir as 1 of the 9.6 AF 15s.  The highest graded Action 1 and Tec 27 are worth more imo, but less interested parties. Now if The Dentist chose to liquidate, that may do the trick, but that ain’t happening, and if it did, wouldn’t happen on Heritage.  Regardless, super impressive, and probably shouldn’t underestimate their ability to pull rabbits. 

On 9/11/2021 at 2:30 PM, Zolnerowich said:

Thank you Sir! I just watched the video you hosted a few months ago on the Pinnacle Hill books. Such an amazing find, and great information and history. Must have been mindblowing to be up close and personal with the books. 

Jay

It was amazing.  Even though the Archie #1 and Pep #22 were sold through Heritage back in 2010, I wasn't complaining!

I still have all of these labeled binders sitting here next to me that were used to store all of these MLJ books since the 70's by the owner. Trying to decide what to do with them...

On 9/11/2021 at 5:18 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I didn't end up with much after the smoke cleared .... but I DID snag this book for a great price, so I'm celebrating!  :banana:

Shield-Wizard 1 5.0 ow-w Pinnacle Hill front.jpg

Congrats!  As one of the consignors of these MLJ books, I've been tracking prices for the owner.  Overall they have sold for 2X GPA with only 5 or 6 going for under GPA. This was one of the good buys which I would like to think was due to the "large" number of graded copies on the census (34). In comparison, many of these other MLJ books had fewer than a dozen copies graded.

It still blows my mind that the guy who amassed these books in the 60's-70's found them all without the Internet!

On 9/11/2021 at 4:58 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I can't tell what was hotter in this auction:  Promise books or non-pedigree MLJs?  Those were some amazing prices that dwarfed prior sales.

I'd like to think that part of the reason for all of the action on the MLJ's was due to the sheer number of them.  When I approached Heritage with the collection, we felt it would make a big "splash" if all could be offered at once.  Due to the current turn around times at CGC, there are still about 80 MLJ books that have not returned and will be offered in their November auction. So if you missed out on the action in this auction, start saving your shekels for some MLJ fun in November!

ps - If you ever wanted some of the original art from these MLJ books, the owner also had some OA with this collection that will be on the block during Sunday's session.