• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,226 posts in this topic

On 5/14/2022 at 8:21 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

His atmospherics are second to none. I discovered his work in the mid seventies at the local newsstand in my hometown in NJ where I'd buy my comics. I have a great memory of walking uptown on a cold winter night to pick up my comic fix. A copy of the Spirit was one of the purchases and had a fun wintry cover. As I left the newsstand and walked outside a light snow had started to fall. The town was quiet and I looked across the street at a large clock that stood on the corner of a bank building watching the snow slowly drift down. The atmosphere was truly deserving of an Eisner splash!

I had Mr. Eisner autograph my Warren Spirit #1 to my kids back in the early nineties. Such a gentleman to talk to at the old San Diego shows. Such great memories over the years.

Wow, I can almost picture that.

I got that copy autographed at an early SDCC. By the pool at the El Cortez. Also got a book signed by Kirby that night. Jack and Will were enjoying an after dinner cigar. They were telling us stories as we sat in front of them. Such fun and simpler times. 

On 5/14/2022 at 10:00 PM, lou_fine said:

Triple yikes!!! in this case here, but is this pricing action really at all that surprising to anybody here except possibly for @Mmehdy. lol  :tonofbricks:

After almost a full year of auctions with Promise Collection books in there, is anybody aware of even one Promise book that has managed to sell for a higher price point after coming back to auction on a second go round?  ???

Although a different environment at the time, still a stark comparison to the Job Berk Collection from almost 5 years ago where I believe that virtually every single Jon Berk book was sold at a higher price point in subsequent auctions right from the get go.  :applause:

Based upon these Promise Collection results here, it confirms my thinking that most of the bidding on the first go round for the Promise books were by bidders who were heavily influenced by both the Promise pedigree hype being generated plus the grade on the CGC label.  On the second go round for these exact same Promise books, the bidding was probably more likely done by longer term collectors who were bidding based much more upon the underlying book itself and relatively less influenced by the initial Promise hype and CGC label grade.  hm  (shrug)

1. Mitch may reign as king of the lily gilders, but his efforts to rally battle weary troops in their darkest hours is praiseworthy.

2. Quick turn-around flippers risk getting caught in nets and forced to change their tuna.

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale added!

On 5/14/2022 at 6:58 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, as I had already stated in another thread on the GA boards here, any bets that this book along with many others from this particular collection would probably have gone for more money in a higher profile regularly scheduled Heritage Signature Auction with the usual big dollar eyeballs.  hm

Especially when this copy here was auctioned off in another one of these one-off standalone auctions (i.e. the Pablos Verdes Auction) where many of the regular Heritage clientale probably didn't even pay any attention at all to this particular auction here.  (shrug)

Hey there, Well I think what you said does have a lot to do with it, but I still have a strange feeling there might be more to it .I mean how can a 4.0 sell for around the same price as a 2.5 and slightly higher the 2.0's that have sold the past year? For some reason that "There's somethin happening here" song has been stuck in my head. :peace:

On 5/14/2022 at 8:00 PM, lou_fine said:

Triple yikes!!! in this case here, but is this pricing action really at all that surprising to anybody here except possibly for @Mmehdylol  :tonofbricks:

After almost a full year of auctions with Promise Collection books in there, is anybody aware of even one Promise book that has managed to sell for a higher price point after coming back to auction on a second go round?  ???

Although a different environment at the time, still a stark comparison to the Jon Berk Collection from almost 5 years ago where I believe that virtually every single Jon Berk book was sold at a higher price point in subsequent auctions right from the get go.  :applause:

Based upon these Promise Collection results here, it confirms my thinking that most of the bidding on the first go round for the Promise books were by bidders who were heavily influenced by both the Promise pedigree hype being generated plus the grade on the CGC label.  On the second go round for these exact same Promise books, the bidding was probably more likely done by longer term collectors who were bidding based much more upon the underlying book itself and relatively less influenced by the initial Promise hype and CGC label grade.  hm  (shrug)

Let me remind you when the Billy Wright  collection sold and a number of resales came out early, they lost money too...It is safe to say that all Billy Wright books are worth more today especially the Keys. Lets not jump to conclusion before this collection is fully sold, there are still Promise books being sold in the weekly auction. I stand  by my prediction that almost every Promise Book will increase in value given proper time. You are calling this waaaayyyy too early.... Promise books and Cap 1, Whiz 2 are winners and will always be given a reasonable amount of time. As you recall, when you purchase a promise book from Ha and resell it you got a special coupon saying that Ha's total resale fee will be 10%...in the future this  will prove to be very very valuable upon resale.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 5/13/2022 at 6:20 PM, Robot Man said:

Books like Spirit #22 are simply iconic and just stand on their own. Fortunately, I realized that as a young budding collector. There are many obvious exceptions but books like this really stood out over many of their "men in tights" counterparts. And, it's a one and done.

I would go out on a limb and say, if you have a copy of this one you are lucky and or smart. Books like this might stabilize a bit or maybe even take a very slight down turn, but you will never be sorry you bought it. I have treasured mine since I first got it. 

comspirit22a.jpg

comspirit22b.jpg

At least he autographed it on the splash page and not the cover! I really don't like books autographed on the cover. I blame CGC for that trend. Before CGC slabs came along, I never saw a comic autographed anywhere other than the splash page.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 5/15/2022 at 9:21 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

At least he autographed it on the splash page and not the cover! I really don't like books autographed on the cover. I blame CGC for that trend. Before CGC slabs came along, I never saw a comic autographed anywhere other than the splash page.

Agreed.

When you attend a book signing, where does the author sign the book? Answer: Inside the book.

WCBS 01.jpeg

WCBS 07.jpeg

WCBS 06.jpeg

WCBS 05.jpeg

WCBS 04.webp

WCBS 03.jpeg

WCBS 02.webp

On 5/15/2022 at 3:41 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Officer I'd like to report a crime . . . 

WCBS 01.jpeg

I don't know much about cleaning comics. Would it be possible to remove an autograph that was done in Sharpie? I've seen some scare books that were autographed with a Sharpie. At times I've considered buying them, but I don't even know whether the removal of a Sharpie signature is possible. I wouldn't want to own an autographed book, but I could live with a PLOD if a cleaned cover was the only restoration.

On 5/15/2022 at 3:24 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I don't know much about cleaning comics. Would it be possible to remove an autograph that was done in Sharpie? I've seen some scare books that were autographed with a Sharpie. At times I've considered buying them, but I don't even know whether the removal of a Sharpie signature is possible. I wouldn't want to own an autographed book, but I could live with a PLOD if a cleaned cover was the only restoration.

No. Sharpie is permanent. Even worse, the ink sinks in and spreads over time. It can even discolor. Anyone who submits a book for a sharpie signature is permanently damaging a book. 

On 5/15/2022 at 3:48 PM, Robot Man said:

No. Sharpie is permanent. Even worse, the ink sinks in and spreads over time. It can even discolor. Anyone who submits a book for a sharpie signature is permanently damaging a book. 

All I will say is that CGC really needs to fine tune and upgrade their grading standards in order to treat all of this horrid writing on the covers as a major defect and hammer the living daylights out of the books when it comes to the final grade.  :devil:

Then again, we all know the chances of that happening is absolutely zero because it's all about the money and this severely damaging, but readily avoidable and deliberate wanton destruction of the comic books have been built into their business model from the get go. :(  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

On 5/15/2022 at 6:48 PM, Robot Man said:

That's disappointing to hear. Some *spoon* head ruined a bunch of books by having Ken Bald sign them in Sharpie; they've been showing up on HA lately. Ken Bald! Is there anyone on the planet who actually cares about owning Ken Bald's signature? Complete waste of a lot of nice books. Many of them were mid grade, but some of them were high grade.

On 5/15/2022 at 4:21 PM, jimbo_7071 said:
On 5/15/2022 at 3:48 PM, Robot Man said:

That's disappointing to hear. Some *spoon* head ruined a bunch of books by having Ken Bald sign them in Sharpie; they've been showing up on HA lately. Ken Bald! Is there anyone on the planet who actually cares about owning Ken Bald's signature? Complete waste of a lot of nice books. Many of them were mid grade, but some of them were high grade.

Yes, but aren't all of these Verified Signature books which means that CGC is not only encouraging this destructive process, but actively facilitating and knowingly participating in it even though they are clearly aware of the damage being done to the underlying books themselves.  (tsk)  :censored:

Then again, maybe it's really nothing more than just a case of to each their own, as one person's definition of "destruction" might just be another person's definition of "beautification".  hm  (:

Edited by lou_fine