• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,891 posts in this topic

On 12/27/2022 at 7:18 AM, batman_fan said:

Right now, the next CLINK auction is a bit thin and pretty small in quantity.  They are so desperate for consignments they even reached out to me.  Same for the next ComicConnect auction.  They have a few nice books but look at the SA Spiderman offering, lots one mid-grade stuff.

:eek:

On 12/27/2022 at 9:18 AM, batman_fan said:

Right now, the next CLINK auction is a bit thin and pretty small in quantity.  They are so desperate for consignments they even reached out to me.  Same for the next ComicConnect auction.  They have a few nice books but look at the SA Spiderman offering, lots one mid-grade stuff.

On 12/26/2022 at 4:12 PM, adamstrange said:

When Heritage started auctioning comics, I took a brief look at their operating model.  They were pretty much a coin/currency only auction house, doing $600M per year.  They held auctions at every major coin show and had $10M+ sales every couple weeks.

Prediction:  Heritage is not going to slow down.  They almost certainly would prefer to run more big auctions and could care less about the impact on "allure".

What a coincidence :juggle:

On 12/27/2022 at 9:18 AM, batman_fan said:

Sigh. Collectors were in a mad rush to sell earlier this year on the heels of all of the record-breaking prices in 2021, but now that prices are softening, everyone's a hoarder. :boo:

I think what we'll see in 2023 is collectors clinging tightly to their nicer books while desperately trying to get rid of their riff raff. :popcorn:

On the plus side, if you collect mid-grade copies of titles that no one else is interested in, you may get some awesome deals in the coming year. :idea:

ETA: I am one of those collectors who likes titles that no one else is interested in. Heck, I even like funny animal books! :insane:

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 12/27/2022 at 10:01 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Sigh. Collectors were in a mad rush to sell earlier this year on the heels of all of the record-breaker prices in 2021, but now that prices are softening, everyone's a hoarder. :boo:

I think what we'll see in 2023 is collectors clinging tightly to their nicer books while desperately trying to get rid of their riff raff. :popcorn:

On the plus side, if you collect mid-grade copies of titles that no one else is interested in, you may get some awesome deals in the coming year. :idea:

ETA: I am one of those collectors who likes titles that no one else is interested in. Heck, I even like funny animal books! :insane:

I am one of those GA hoarders and won't be sending any into auctions unless I'm forced into a bread line 

On 12/27/2022 at 7:59 AM, adamstrange said:

What a coincidence :juggle:

I think it's a little early to draw conclusions.  The Clink auction doesn't open for almost 2 more months.  The January HA auction is a fraction of the normal size (I think only 2 pages?).  I think if you combined Dec/Jan HA Sig auctions they still wouldn't quite make a normal quarterly auction in terms of volume.  Granted, they still have the potential for a Feb sig auction, but there isn't one listed yet.  But if I were Clink I'd start thinking about maybe adding a tracking feature to my auctions and updating the website.    

On 12/27/2022 at 6:18 AM, batman_fan said:

On 12/27/2022 at 7:01 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Doesn't this also mean that if you have some truly quality HTF vintage collectible books to auction off, now might also not be a bad time since they will now stand out like a shining star in this sea of riff raff books that's out there.  hm  (shrug)

On 12/24/2022 at 7:11 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

There’s a Timely collection that heritage lists as coming from Dr Martin Brody. Does anyone know anything about this guy or his collection?  (Come to think of it, I never got the catalog on this one)

1CB68019-E4C5-4430-8543-B4D584E336E7.jpeg

Well just got the catalogs. Not only do they fail to shed any light on the “Dr Martin Brody” collection, they don’t even mention him. Grrr.

hey @Ricksneatstuff, do you know?

On 12/27/2022 at 11:46 AM, lou_fine said:

Doesn't this also mean that if you have some truly quality HTF vintage collectible books to auction off, now might also not be a bad time since they will now stand out like a shining star in this sea of riff raff books that's out there.  hm  (shrug)

Sadly I got nothing that great :sorry:

On 12/27/2022 at 7:01 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Collectors were in a mad rush to sell earlier this year on the heels of all of the record-breaking prices in 2021, but now that prices are softening, everyone's a hoarder. :boo:

On 12/27/2022 at 7:51 AM, Courageous Cat said:

I am one of those GA hoarders and won't be sending any into auctions unless I'm forced into a bread line 

On 12/27/2022 at 6:18 AM, batman_fan said:

They are so desperate for consignments they even reached out to me.

Yes, take it back one-step further and my bet is that the turnaround times for the pressing and grading companies will continue to drop throughout the year as the prices on the readily available so-called hot spec books have dropped by huge double percentage digits from their recent highs.  :tonofbricks:

Not sure if we'll reach the point where CGC was sending out email messages for submissions like they were back when the Coronavirus first started and hardly anybody was sending in books at the time for grading since nobody knew the state of the market at the time.  hm

On 12/27/2022 at 1:46 PM, lou_fine said:

That sounds good in theory, but most sellers must not think so because it sure seems like the supply of grade-A material becomes conspicuously absent from auctions whenever prices cool off.

:goodvsevil:

Now, you may still see top-quality books offered as Buy-It-Nows without any discounts offered, and there will probably be a few collectors who have to cash out for whatever reason.

:flipbait:

By the way, are you feeling OK? Your last two posts have only had two emoticons each.  :jawdrop:

But it's OK, I'll carry the banner until you get your health back. :manhero:

On 12/27/2022 at 11:07 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

That sounds good in theory, but most sellers must not think so because it sure seems like the supply of grade-A material becomes conspicuously absent from auctions whenever prices cool off.

:goodvsevil:

Yes, I've always wondered whether it's better to be a bright glowing star shining through on a cloudy night sky or to be one of many indistinguishable stars shining through on a clear star-filled night sky.  hm

Then again, I guess that's really more from the supply side of the equation.  From the demand side, bidders are more likely to bid higher in a rising marketplace when they think prices are only going to go higher, as opposed to a cooling marketplace when prices might possibly be dropping depending upon the particular book(s) in question.  (shrug)

So, I guess it's a  :slapfight: between the supply and demand side to see who wins out in the end when it comes to truly vintage quality collectible books in a marketplace like the one which we currently have.  :goodvsevil:

On 12/27/2022 at 11:07 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

By the way, are you feeling OK? Your last two posts have only had two emoticons each.  :jawdrop:

Appreciate your concern, but absolutely no worries at all, as you should be able to tell from this post that I am in perfectly good health here.  (thumbsu  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/28/2022 at 3:54 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes, I've always wondered whether it's better to be a bright glowing star shining through on a cloudy night sky or to be one of many indistinguishable stars shining through on a clear star-filled night sky.  hm

Then again, I guess that's really more from the supply side of the equation.  From the demand side, bidders are more likely to bid higher in a rising marketplace when they think prices are only going to go higher, as opposed to a cooling marketplace when prices might possibly be dropping depending upon the particular book(s) in question.  (shrug)

So, I guess it's a  :slapfight: between the supply and demand side to see who wins out in the end when it comes to truly vintage quality collectible books in a marketplace like the one which we currently have.  :goodvsevil:

You ALWAYS want to be selling during a rising tide. 

On 12/27/2022 at 7:55 AM, batman_fan said:

I have a growing stack of stuff to sell but plan to wait until after I retire so I can minimize my taxes.

:idea:  Well, instead of having to wait until after your retirement to only minimize your taxes, you can simply move to a much more exotic place like Hong Kong, Singapore, Monaco, Switzerland, New Zealand, Belize, the Cayman's, etc. and enjoy your wealthier lifestyle where the capital gains taxes can be eliminated completely as they are set at zero.  :banana:  :whee:

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/28/2022 at 4:18 AM, Joe AllStar said:
In the client’s own words:
Dr. Martin Brody’s collection consists specifically of 1940’s WW2 related comics depicting the Allies/Superheroes battling the Nazis and the 3rdReich.
Dr. Brody’s collection consists of examples from various pedigrees. 

The tagline is on all the on-line listings. 

In regards to the posts regarding the number of items in this sale, we have been trying to limit the number of items to about 1000 in order to keep the sessions to a more manageable time

Happy holidays to everyone!

Joe Mannarino

Consignment Director, Comics and Comic Art

Thank you for the update, Joe. It’s nice to see these collections and reminisce about what was important to other guys before me

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost