• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,943 posts in this topic

On 4/25/2023 at 6:42 PM, GermanFan said:

I just heard an interesting point about international money flows from Hugh Hendry: China deflects all the Dollars earned from exports back to the USA not letting them into China via buying US government bonds. This makes everything in the US ever more expensive up to the point of unaffordability.

The only thing correct in these sentences is that China buys a lot of US government bonds.  Everything else reflects a complete misunderstanding of international trade and economics and China's foreign exchange policies.

On 4/24/2023 at 10:35 AM, lou_fine said:

What part don't you understand here?  ???

Haven't we seen this exact same scenario played out out with respect to speculative stocks and movie hyped related comic books where the unbridled hope and expectations are always so much greater than the confirmed and certified reality itself?  hm

As clearly evident by the slew of raw and even some restored copies of pre-hero Adventure and More Fun in the lower profile Sunday/Monday weekly auctions from February and March of 2022 that sold for higher mutiples to condition guide than their certified graded copies were able to fetch in the subsequent higher profile Signature Auctions later that same Spring and summer.  :whatthe:  (thumbsu

On 4/24/2023 at 12:53 PM, Professor K said:

Yes that makes good sense. (Warning: Long winded post ahead).

I have a natural inclination to always try to understand the reasons why things are the way they are, with prety much everything, especially pertaining to society and trends. Why are people heavier today? Why do so many people get tattoos? Why does nobody stop at stop signs anymore?  Why have most Silver Age hero books gone down in prices little by little since way back in 2021/22 while Golden Age books just keep going up up up up up with each sale? I guess the simple answer is because more people than ever want them.

One factor could be people are getting tired of the (mostly Marvel) heroes in general and also of all the never ending and in my opinion mostly not very good hero movies. I haven't watched many the past decade so maybe I'm wrong that most are just awful. Could it be more new collectors? I'm sure that's a factor but then again I believe most people who get into comics don't jump right in to GA stuff but maybe some who got into comics during 2020 to 2022 are now going after them. 

People are realizing maybe it's better to "invest" in books with under 100 graded copies than in books that have thousands, even if it is a 1st appearance of whoever. 

Big money investor types and groups could also be part of it like they seem to have done with the big Silver/Bronze keys a couple years ago. I think mostly current and even long time Silver/Bronze collectors are waking up more and more to how cool GA books are. I'd include myself in that list just a few years ago I say with regret and little bit of shame. If you think about it using a random book as an example, say Ghostly Weird 122 which has been on fire the past bunch of auctions, how many new collectors does it really take to drive the price of that book up? I think not many. Even if only 100 new people in the world in the past year started going after GA stuff, that can really drive prices up considering most books only come around every few months or years especially with the high demand really cool books. Just that little extra competition is all it takes as opposed to books that are always available even if they are expensive. The restored Wonder Comics 1 that went for 19K a few weeks ago. A year or two ago it  most likely would have sold for half that. Only takes a few people out there to make that happen.

Take that More Fun 45, if 2 years ago 20 people seriously wanted to add one to their collection and yesterday 40 people did, well there goes the neighborhood. doh!

Yes and yes.  The specific point I don't understand is that there seems to be no logical footing for some of this bidding.  There are plenty of resources available to formulate a reasonable estimate of value, which I would say is about $1700+ based on the previous 7.5 sale.  In my opinion the individuals bidding on the More Fun 45 somehow came up with what I would deem an UNreasonable estimate.  They had to have some kind of estimate or else the bidding would have continued to climb. How did they come up with it?  Why wouldn't they just make an offer to the owner of the 7.5 graded copy?  This kind of bidding is irrational.  If they are collectors irrational decisions sometimes happen.  It just seems like there are so many examples of "WTF were they thinking" across the entire market.

On 4/25/2023 at 7:20 PM, tth2 said:

The only thing correct in these sentences is that China buys a lot of US government bonds.  Everything else reflects a complete misunderstanding of international trade and economics and China's foreign exchange policies.

I agree.  If China was not buying the USA government bonds, the USA would have to raise the interest rates to attract other investors.  The higher interest rates would negatively impact growth in the USA. 

On 4/26/2023 at 10:42 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I am going to share some thoughts as a consignor, not a Heritage employee.  

With very little exceptions, if I was consigning a golden age comic under $10k range in value I would (and do) consign to the weekly auctions. Lots that stand out in the weekly auctions tend to do better than being one of many in the Signature.  This is the case more often than not. 

I've always wondered about this exact same thing....................is it better to stand out in a smaller lower profile auction or to be one of many and possibly lost in a much larger higher profile auction?  hm

On the few occasions that I have mentioned this on the boardies, I've always been presented with the opposing viewpoint that you tend to do better in a higher profile auction where there are not only more eyeballs on your books, but also ones with much deeper pockets.  Maybe the key here is the threshold level where this makes a difference, and for you, it sounds as though you are basing this on a $10K threshold. (thumbsu (shrug)

Not as a consignor, but as a Heritage employee, are you really also saying that it's better to have your <$10K GA book stand out in a smaller lower profile CC Event Auction platform as opposed to just being one of many and easy to get lost in a much larger and higher profile Heritage Signature Auction platform?  :devil:  lol

Can someone explain THIS result to me?  Just wasn't on my radar that it would go for this much.

bingo1.thumb.png.6e84c0b38473086ed9500c3a8fe59d69.png

Not many sales on the GPA, a 7.5 for $250 in 2017 and a 3.0 with brittle pages for $336 in Nov 2021.  Only 9 on the census.

There is a supposed 9.6 Mile High copy. Cool Cole cover. 

On 4/30/2023 at 11:28 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Can someone explain THIS result to me?  Just wasn't on my radar that it would go for this much.

Not many sales on the GPA, a 7.5 for $250 in 2017 and a 3.0 with brittle pages for $336 in Nov 2021.  Only 9 on the census.

Well it's certainly a coveted Cole cover and one that doesn't come up that often, as I have been hunting for a decent copy for a long time. However, that's about 5x what I'd have expected that to go and not a price I would have approached if I was bidding. 

On 5/1/2023 at 11:18 AM, Ryan. said:

Well it's certainly a coveted Cole cover and one that doesn't come up that often, as I have been hunting for a decent copy for a long time. However, that's about 5x what I'd have expected that to go and not a price I would have approached if I was bidding. 

Cole has gotten red hot, including the previously lukewarm Star crime titles, in the last year. But this is beyond reckoning.

On 4/30/2023 at 11:28 PM, mjoeyoung said:

When two guys with big egos both want a book, there is no limit—NO limit.

On 5/1/2023 at 4:18 AM, Ryan. said:

On 5/1/2023 at 9:43 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

When two guys with big egos both want a book, there is no limit—NO limit.

Exactly, if this had sold for $2500 it would have been a huge bump in value.

It seems that there are some people out there that are impatient enough that they will pay whatever it takes to get a copy of "name that book" RIGHT NOW!

GPA? Overstreet Guide?  They don't need your stinking guides!

It always seems that whenever I "overpay" for a book, 6 more show up in quick secession, all selling for much less than I paid. :pullhair:

Edited by mjoeyoung

On 5/1/2023 at 11:54 AM, mjoeyoung said:

Exactly, if this had sold for $2500 it would have been a huge bump in value.

It seems that there are some people out there that are impatient enough that they will pay whatever it takes to get a copy of "name that book" RIGHT NOW!

GPA? Overstreet Guide?  They don't need your stinking guides!

It always seems that whenever I "overpay" for a book, 6 more show up in quick secession, all selling for much less than I paid. :pullhair:

The circle of life or cash in this case lol

On 4/30/2023 at 9:28 PM, mjoeyoung said:

There is no good or satisfactory explanation for this sale.