• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,891 posts in this topic

I don't think they are the same books. Look at the B on Bunny for e.g.. Seems to have a crease on the 9.6 copy unless it's just glare. The grass patch near Bugs feet also looks different. And how in the world did that copy get a 9.6. The 9.0 looks way sharper. 

On 4/7/2023 at 7:41 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Other copies have that odd printing defect with the little white rings on the yellow areas, but they're in different locations on other copies. I looked at many copies and couldn't find any two that had those spots in the exact same locations as each other.

Both books also have the same mis-wrap and a color-breaking spine tic in the exact same location.

I'm sure a clever defense attorney would try to raise reasonable doubt, but I think the prosecution could secure a conviction in this case.

If it is the same book, maybe the seller thought that including the pedigree on the label would hurt the final hammer price if prospective buyers knew that the book used to be a lowly 9.0.

Good work. And yes that must be the reason. Even if it was pressed that is a real big bump, then again it looks better than 9.0 to me.

On 4/7/2023 at 7:51 PM, Professor K said:

Good work. And yes that must be the reason. Even if it was pressed that is a real big bump, then again it looks better than 9.0 to me.

Many books that have had big grade bumps after pressing were probably books that were very strictly graded to first time and very loosely graded the second time. To me the Vancouver looks like a 9.2, and this "non-ped" copy looks like a 9.2.

On 4/7/2023 at 8:04 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

image.gif.710cf591998e9374ce60ac1d48e9229f.gif

You Texas defense attorneys got T. Cullen Davis off! :baiting: Nuff' said!

On 4/7/2023 at 7:47 PM, Grendel72 said:

I don't think they are the same books. Look at the B on Bunny for e.g.. Seems to have a crease on the 9.6 copy unless it's just glare. The grass patch near Bugs feet also looks different. And how in the world did that copy get a 9.6. The 9.0 looks way sharper. 

Here are a couple more points of comparison. Note the smudging in the tip of the ear and the spot on Bugs Bunny's toe.

I think that the white that you're seeing on the B in the non-ped copy is probably scuffing on the inner well. I have seen quite a few newer-gen holders with similar scuffing.

nonpedear.JPG

nonpedtoe.JPG

vancouverear.JPG

vancouvertoe.JPG

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 4/7/2023 at 7:11 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Many books that have had big grade bumps after pressing were probably books that were very strictly graded to first time and very loosely graded the second time. To me the Vancouver looks like a 9.2, and this "non-ped" copy looks like a 9.2.

You Texas defense attorneys got T. Cullen Davis off! :baiting: Nuff' said!

Musta been a bad jury, because that guy was guilty 

On 4/7/2023 at 4:51 PM, Professor K said:

I guess one of the main reasons why I don't win many books because I usually bid based upon how a book visually presents, and not so much on the CGC label because we've seen other examples of books with bumps of this magnitude before.  hm

In this Four Color 33 example here, why would I bid "CGC 9.6 money" for a book that visually presents only just as nice as a CGC 9.0 copy?  (shrug)

On 4/7/2023 at 4:41 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm sure a clever defense attorney would try to raise reasonable doubt, but I think the prosecution could secure a conviction in this case.

And in some cases, it's pretty hard for a defense attorney to claim reasonable doubt and relatively easy for the prosecution to secure a conviction: :devil:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crackajack-funnies-9-file-copy-dell-1939-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-pages/a/830-91039.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|5

Golden Age (1938-1955):Western, Crackajack Funnies #9 File Copy (Dell, 1939) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white pages....

Grader Notes
Front Cover Writing
Top Back Cover Lite Shadow
A nicely presenting CGC 9.0 graded copy that sold for $1,434 back in November of 2008 for the first comic book apearance of Red Ryder.  :luhv:  :takeit:

After that, morphed into a CGC 9.6 graded copy that sold for $2,868 in November of 2017 before I assume Dougie picked it up for $3K in November of 2018 and managed to massaged and deep cleaned it even further into this copy here:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crackajack-funnies-9-file-copy-dell-1939-cgc-nm-mt-98-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40208-81046.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Western, Crackajack Funnies #9 File Copy (Dell, 1939) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages....

Sold for $6,600 as a CGC 9.8 graded copy in Doug's first Dell & Gold Key Showcase Auction back in November of 2022.  Rather interesting to note that it was still exhibiting the exact same two defects (albeit it a lighter shadow or is that just the scan ???) that was highlighted when it was graded as a CGC 9.0 copy, but now with the following more detailed defects being listed on the CGC 9.8 Grader Notes:  (:

Grader Notes
""file copy"" written on logo front cover
small wear bottom of spine breaks color
small wear top of spine breaks color
Edited by lou_fine

Yeah yeah the Crackajack Funnies 9. Ah just kidding, I agree with you. Unless I was as wealthy as the forementioned T. Cullen Davis when he murdered those people and got away with it I don't think I'd chase after any 1964 or older book graded higher than a 9.0. I know some people want the best out there and to that I say fantast then. To me the majority of 9.0's are pretty darn nice and I can't afford most anyway and like you pointed out some 9.0's can pass for higher than 9.0 to some people and look nicer than higher grades. I'm happy with a nice 6.0 with most books.

Edited by Professor K
misspelled crackajack. Is that even a real word?

On 4/8/2023 at 12:17 AM, lou_fine said:

I guess one of the main reasons why I don't win many books because I usually bid based upon how a book visually presents, and not so much on the CGC label because we've seen other examples of books with bumps of this magnitude before.  hm

In this Four Color 33 example here, why would I bid "CGC 9.6 money" for a book that visually presents only just as nice as a CGC 9.0 copy?  (shrug)

And in some cases, it's pretty hard for a defense attorney to claim reasonable doubt and relatively easy for the prosecution to secure a conviction: :devil:

The Crackajack is an OK example, but I guess you must have forgotten about the Church Boy Comics #17, which had dreams of becoming high grade the way Pinocchio had dreams of becoming a real boy. The Blue Fairy of CCS granted the comic book's wishes, and it rocketed up from a 4.0 to a 7.5 and then to a 9.0.

Boy17A.JPG

Boy17B.JPG

Boy17C.JPG

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 4/6/2023 at 2:14 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

and as long as we are on the topic of crazy, how about this:

B6941C26-93C9-4F21-BD94-2597E064C3B1.jpeg

Happy to see that some of these books featuring TV shows from the 60's such as this Rifleman 10 is still solid as a hard rock and instead of drooping back down after its explosive Covid peak, has strong staying power unlike most others and has continued to rise even further on its upwards trajectory.  lol

Okay, seriously though, some other TV related books from the 60's that also did quite well in Dougie's little auction here included the following:  :applause:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/space-ghost-1-file-copy-gold-key-1967-cgc-nm-mt-98-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40229-82366.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Silver Age (1956-1969):Superhero, Space Ghost #1 File Copy (Gold Key, 1967) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages....

Sold for what I thought was a rather stunning $12K, considering that Space Ghost was not really that successful or memorable as a TV show;  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/dell-giant-48-the-flintstones-dell-1961-cgc-nm-mt-98-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40229-82033.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Silver Age (1956-1969):Cartoon Character, Dell Giant #48 The Flintstones (Dell, 1961) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages....

Sold for a much more deserved $9,600, especially since this is actually the first comic book appearance of the long running Flintstones TV series;  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-green-hornet-2-rocky-mountain-pedigree-gold-key-1967-cgc-nm-mt-98-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40229-82279.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Silver Age (1956-1969):Adventure, The Green Hornet #2 Rocky Mountain Pedigree (Gold Key, 1967) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages....

Sold for a big $9K for a #2 issue and I guess you can never go wrong with a comic book like Green Hornet that has Bruce Lee on the cover.  :applause:

On 4/7/2023 at 10:09 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

The Crackajack is an OK example, but I guess you must have forgotten about the Church Boy Comics #17, which had dreams of becoming high grade the way Pinocchio had dreams of becoming a real boy.

No, I clearly remember that one there along with Borock's eventual rationale for the book to reside in a Blue Universal slab through all of those iterations, which went something like this at the time............."Disassembly and reassembly of a comic book in and of itself DOES NOT consitute restoration".  :ohnoez:

I still remember there was so much heated discussion on the boards here when this copy first came up for auction as an 9.0 graded copy that it eventually got withdrawn from the auction.  I also noticed it coming back to auction in 2018, but decided it would be best for everybody not to say anything because I figured that it had already served almost 15 years of penance since its last failed attempt at auction and deserved to be set free from its past indiscretions by then.  (thumbsu

On 4/8/2023 at 1:37 AM, lou_fine said:

No, I clearly remember that one there along with Borock's eventual rationale for the book to reside in a Blue Universal slab through all of those iterations, which went something like this at the time............."Disassembly and reassembly of a comic book in and of itself DOES NOT consitute restoration".  :ohnoez:

I still remember there was so much heated discussion on the boards here when this copy first came up for auction as an 9.0 graded copy that it eventually got withdrawn from the auction.  I also noticed it coming back to auction in 2018, but decided it would be best for everybody not to say anything because I figured that it had already served almost 15 years of penance since its last failed attempt at auction and deserved to be set free from its past indiscretions by then.  (thumbsu

The Blue Fairy of CCS can do anything!

th-248361866.jpg

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 4/7/2023 at 11:03 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

The Blue Fairy of CCS can do anything!

Can't remember for sure, but I believe it was something as simple as the staples not being attached "properly" and hence the reson why it got that first big bump from CGC 4.0 all the way up to CGC 7.5 once it was reattached properly?  hm  (shrug)

On 4/8/2023 at 2:33 AM, lou_fine said:

Can't remember for sure, but I believe it was something as simple as the staples not being attached "properly" and hence the reson why it got that first big bump from CGC 4.0 all the way up to CGC 7.5 once it was reattached properly?  hm  (shrug)

I believe that it had a detached centerfold, and the staples were manipulated to hold it in place even though it had torn away from the staples the way they were originally positioned—but that isn't restoration, apparently.

On 4/7/2023 at 11:20 PM, lou_fine said:

Silver Age (1956-1969):Superhero, Space Ghost #1 File Copy (Gold Key, 1967) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages....

Sold for what I thought was a rather stunning $12K, considering that Space Ghost was not really that successful or memorable as a TV show;  :whatthe:

On 4/8/2023 at 10:21 AM, waaaghboss said:

Don't forget he hosted an amazing late night talk show. 

I'm more of a fan of the Herculoids.

00030882392000112026745002.thumb.jpg.1d487d29a3438efb45f3901c433a2b2b.jpg

On 4/13/2023 at 6:32 PM, szav said:

Hopefully a chance to overpay for a falsely advertised book.

Oh yeah. Yeah that was a big discussion here. Either way it's just bizzare.

This is the link from Bizzarro World 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285218716329?hash=item42685c3aa9:g:45kAAOSwUTFj~VI~